Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

larger sized suits

dostacos

Practically Family
any ideas where I can find a reasonably priced 3 piece suit? I normally shop at the tall and fat guy stores I am looking for more style and under $300 if possible

Dan

oh yeah first post here, found all ya'all from club obi wan

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome Wagon.

dostacos said:
any ideas where I can find a reasonably priced 3 piece suit? I normally shop at the tall and fat guy stores I am looking for more style and under $300 if possible

Dan

oh yeah first post here, found all ya'all from club obi wan

Welcome to the Lounge dostaco. Tony's right, you'll have to spend a little more to get a quality that you deserve. CVP's are really tough to find in "Manly" (large fella) sizes off the peg. It's a common beleve amongst retailer's that big guys wont buy CVP's because most complain of being uncomfortable warm.
Try calling the big and tall men's stores in the northern parts of the country. You can also always have one custom made for you.
Marty Mathis

dostacos

Practically Family
that is what I was afraid of.

I am losing weight so I don't want to spend $$$ on a new suit that won't fit soon. I may need to go with a contrasting vest for one of my current suits. I roll instead of walking so wearing the coat usually does not set well in my chair, but vest+ pants will.

when I get to goal weight I will be getting an Indy Magnoli 3piece [one of the Indy suits] as a present. I will not be at goal weight when the Queen Mary Summit hits in November so I need something for Saturday night. I guess I could rent a nice white dinner jacket with a winged collar shirt and a nice red carnation for the lapel:eek:

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm actually wearing a Magnoli suit in my avatar picture. I think a 3-piece looks better on a larger fellow, the vest seems to "streamline" the midsection a bit.

Welcome aboard, Dos Tacos, and best of luck with your weight loss. I've been struggling with it for years.

carter

I'll Lock Up
This is a tough bill to fill. I was in Brooks Bros. today and they essentially do not stock three-piece suits. They will make one custom but not in your price range. The three-piece suit in almost any size is not generally readily available unless you order it from a menswear retailer or have it custom made. If you aren't going to wear it very often, you'd be better off renting for the QM event and saving for a quality custom three-piece when you reach your weight goal. This will also provide time for making a decision on the style and fabric that you want.

Welcome to the lounge. Carter

HenchmanC

New in Town
Been looking for much the same. You can find some "gently used" modern 3 piecers for under 200 on ebay. Looks like where I'm heading as I have a wedding I need to be ready for by Sept...cutting it close here.

dostacos

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
I'm actually wearing a Magnoli suit in my avatar picture. I think a 3-piece looks better on a larger fellow, the vest seems to "streamline" the midsection a bit.

Welcome aboard, Dos Tacos, and best of luck with your weight loss. I've been struggling with it for years.
so have I but now I need a new hip and I have to lose weight before I can get surgery, I am starting to look for a button sweater vest and maybe a vest/pant of a darker color to go with my coat or a pattern gray vest/pant to go with my navy suit

Marty M.

Vendor
No wimp's allowed.

Tony in Tarzana said:

Here, here. It's my opinion that larger Fellow's look better in vested suits then smaller Fellow's. Look at Sydney Greenstreet. He looked great in vest's.
Tony, every picture that I've seen of you here at the lounge looks great. You wear clothes very well.
Marty Mathis

oddlots

New in Town
I'm a big guy, and I've had a lot of trouble finding anything other than poorly made, ill-fitting suits off the rack in the past.

I just recently (as in, it arrived yesterday) started trying the online MTM option, and so far it's a winner! I haven't picked up a suit yet, but I ordered a pair of very nice cashmere/wool/silk slacks and a black french-cuff shirt from MyCustomTailor and though I need to have the pants hemmed and adjusted a bit (they're beautiful, but my self-measurements were largely just educated guesses) they look like they're going to work out well. The shirt is one of the only ones I've had that actually fits both in the shoulders and chest but also across my mid section. Unlike things off the peg it doesn't pull or pinch at my stomach or drape in a tent-like fashion. Very cool experience to finally have a shirt that truly FITS.

Might be worth a try, and should be within your price range.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
RondoHatton said:
Once again, I am keenly unaware of the obvious? QM FL event 11/07? Care to wise up a mark?

Dostacos, I've seen some large suits at It's A Wrap but nothing "CVP" flashes through recent memory. Good Hunting with the suit, weight, hip & all.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19435

and if you search for Queen Mary in the Steamer Trunk you shall see pictures of past get togethers..

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge, dostacos! Online made to measure will likely be your best option, as oddlots pointed out. Single pieces may be a good start, try one from MyCustomTailor and mix / match the results with what you've already got.

...when you hit your target weight, we'll have to start calling you unotaco. ;) (written purely in jest, of course)

dostacos

Practically Family
The Wingnut said:
Welcome to the lounge, dostacos! Online made to measure will likely be your best option, as oddlots pointed out. Single pieces may be a good start, try one from MyCustomTailor and mix / match the results with what you've already got.

...when you hit your target weight, we'll have to start calling you unotaco. ;) (written purely in jest, of course)
actually the name comes from an offroad message board I was on and it was because we had two Tacoma [TACO] double cabs.

Big Man

Orgetorix said:
I think Big Man also got a 3-piece from one of the online tailors (Mytailor.com or Mycustomtailor.com, I think); maybe he'll pop in here.

I'm 6' - 6", weigh about 360 lbs, and wear a 60 extra long suit. Hell, my picture weighs two pounds. Once my shadow fell across someone and crushed them. Half the sheep in Scotland froze to death to give up enough wool to make my suit.

Try to find real man-sized clothing "off the rack"! Most of the big and tall stores should be called big OR tall, not big AND tall. I can find plenty of cloths in a 50 waist with a 30 inch inseam, but just try to find a 50 waist and a 36 inch inseam. Same with the jackets and shirts. There are not too many brands that offer a 20 inch neck and a 40 inch sleeve.

I found www.RavisTailor.com a couple of years ago and tried a suit from them. I was very pleased, and have ordered several over the last couple of years. I just got my latest one in the mail yesterday (I'll post a picture when I get it back from the cleaners from being pressed). It's a navy blue, pin stripe, three-piece, with 6" peak lapels. I spent around $400 (including postage, etc.). I don't think that's too bad for a 100% wool, three-piece suit (with extra pants).

I enjoy wearing a three-piece. I think "big guys" look better in a three-piece, and just about no one else wears a three piece these days - which makes it that more impressive. I figure with my size I already stand out in a crowd, so why not stand out in style.

dostacos

Practically Family
Big Man said:
I'm 6' - 6", weigh about 360 lbs, and wear a 60 extra long suit. Hell, my picture weighs two pounds. Once my shadow fell across someone and crushed them. Half the sheep in Scotland froze to death to give up enough wool to make my suit.

Try to find real man-sized clothing "off the rack"! Most of the big and tall stores should be called big OR tall, not big AND tall. I can find plenty of cloths in a 50 waist with a 30 inch inseam, but just try to find a 50 waist and a 36 inch inseam. Same with the jackets and shirts. There are not too many brands that offer a 20 inch neck and a 40 inch sleeve.

I found www.RavisTailor.com a couple of years ago and tried a suit from them. I was very pleased, and have ordered several over the last couple of years. I just got my latest one in the mail yesterday (I'll post a picture when I get it back from the cleaners from being pressed). It's a navy blue, pin stripe, three-piece, with 6" peak lapels. I spent around $400 (including postage, etc.). I don't think that's too bad for a 100% wool, three-piece suit (with extra pants).

I enjoy wearing a three-piece. I think "big guys" look better in a three-piece, and just about no one else wears a three piece these days - which makes it that more impressive. I figure with my size I already stand out in a crowd, so why not stand out in style.

about the same as trying to find a 21 inch neck and 32 inch sleeves. they seem to think any body with a big neck is 6 feet tall:eusa_doh:

I will check out the website, thanks

Dos [morbidly undertall]tacos

Big Man

dostacos said:
http://www.RavisTailor.com http://www.mycustomtailor.com/

seem to have the same basic setup [ravis has higher prices] at any rate, can anyone suggest a good choice for a suit [3 piece only:) ] I am leaning toward one that has a lapel on the vest

I believe they are the same company. Shipping is included in the Ravis pricing and is extra with the My Custom Tailor pricing. When you add shipping cost to the later, the prices at the two are essentially the same.

Like I said earlier, I've been very pleased with the clothing I've received from Ravis Tailor. I've had good service with quality merchandise for a reasonable price - and the clothing fits !

If I could "buy local" and get the same sizing for relatively the same price, I'd do so - but, unfortunately I haven't found anything here that will come close to fitting me and provide me with such a selection of cloth and styles in a price that's anywhere reasonable to my budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart