Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loose thread/loop - leather jacket

christian-h

One of the Regulars
Hi guys,

First post - but not a super pleasant one. However... I just pulled the trigger on a Joe McCoy Steinbeck 30's in shinki.

A jacket that i've been longing for a looong time. I paid with an arm and a leg on my trip all the way from Sweden to London. And just stumbled across this.

What's your opinion?

steinbeck.jpg
Skärmavbild 2017-10-04 kl. 15.50.36.png

Stiching on right (correct shoulder)
Skärmavbild 2017-10-04 kl. 15.49.43.png

RMC answer:

Hi,

Due to the hand made nature of these jackets, you will find small things like this that might not be present on factory line made products.

I can assure however that this will pose no threat to the structural integrity of the jacket and it’s construction. You will probably find that actually with wearing the jacket, the thread might get pulled and even out and flatten to a point where you can’t see it anymore.

Hope this helps.

Thank you fedora. First of many posts!

Best wishes
Christian

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Always hard to judge from a photo but if its just some lose thread rather than a stitch thats been missed then I can't say this would bother me - unless it looked as if the next stitch along is coming loose.

If I had this and it did bother me, I'd either snip the end off or, if I was worried that might lead to the next stitch losing integrity, I'd just smooth it flat to the rest of the stitches with a tiny bit of pva glue to hold it in place.

I guess nothing is perfect at any price band but they could perhaps of worded their email a little better.

Perfectly normal thing, nothing to worry about. I have this on half of my jackets and seen on just as many.

However, the factory line comment is such pretentious bs. There's no hand made vs factory line made - all leather jackets are made by hand in exactly the same way.

Edward

Bartender
Perfectly normal thing, nothing to worry about. I have this on half of my jackets and seen on just as many.

However, the factory line comment is such pretentious bs. There's no hand made vs factory line made - all leather jackets are made by hand in exactly the same way.

I'd always assumed LW were sewn together by hand. Cause, y'know, a sewing machine is so unmanly. :p

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Now that is a tragedy.

I know how that feels. The moment that you found a flaw in your dream jacket.

I don't know what to say...

As others mentioned, it probably isn't much of a deal. But the frustration you get? Huuuuge.

My suggestion is to get a refund.

It is not your fault and it is your right to get a refund.

From my experience, once you find that flaw, that kinda sticks around.

Every time you wear that jacket, that loose thread will haunt you even though others will 'NEVER' recognize them.

Just send them back to London. And buy a new one. Now that you know your size, you can always order online.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you,

+You will get over with this... =)

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Yeah, and then he gets another one with another stitch loose someplace else... Literally every jacket has a flaw. I'm sure this one has a few more OP just hasn't discovered yet.

Agreed

As long as you can live with it, that loose thread really isn't a big deal.

What I meant was that he may as well just get a new one so that he can avoid all the emotional frustration! =)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't worry about it. Really. Here's my Aero A-1 with a loose thread around the button hole. Probably from the friction of the button...Most of my high end jackets have one or two little imperfections. Enjoy your jacket.
IMG_1689.JPG

But look at how brilliant the stitching on this seam is!
IMG_1692.JPG

Damon B

New in Town
Now that is a tragedy.

As others mentioned, it probably isn't much of a deal. But the frustration you get? Huuuuge.

Every time you wear that jacket, that loose thread will haunt you even though others will 'NEVER' recognize them.

Just send them back to London. And buy a new one. Now that you know your size, you can always order online.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you,

+You will get over with this... good god, a tragedy? I give up!

Now that is a tragedy.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you,

+You will get over with this... =)

Is this post a joke?
There literally is no jacket made sans some tiny flaw.

christian-h

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't worry about it. Really. Here's my Aero A-1 with a loose thread around the button hole. Probably from the friction of the button...Most of my high end jackets have one or two little imperfections. Enjoy your jacket.
View attachment 88217
But look at how brilliant the stitching on this seam is!
View attachment 88218

I can live with it - no problem! I was worried about the seam to go loose over time.

The area around the shoulders is exposed to a lot of tension and I wanted to be sure everything was OK.

I'm better of safe than sorry.

Once again, thank you for your time.

And... I can't wait to break this bad boy in. I'm really looking forward to see the tea core to break through. Pictures will follow.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
As @Monitor said, you will always find flaws at every jacket. I own 2 schott's and 4 aero's and if I want to be obsessive then I can name flaws for every single one of them.
I don't think there will be any structural issues with your jacket.
I had a sort of similar issue with my 30's HB 2 years ago, there was actually a stitch missing. I contacted Aero and they told me that they don't think this will progress but if it did they would arrange for a shipping and repair free of charge (that's an excellent customer service). I had it fixed 2 months later when I visited Aero (and no, it hadn't progressed till then).
Enjoy your great jacket! I envy you! 20160111_212240.jpg 20160111_212155.jpg 20160111_212144.jpg

Damon B

New in Town
+ what everyone has just said except HM, a tragedy, send it back, get another one?? All because of a loose thread, are you for real?! Ive been reading things on here for years but dont post much hence the ' new in town' thing but thats really annoying, couldnt control myself. Put the news on if u need to understand what a tragedy is, its not a loose thread on a bloody jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner