Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maybe brave, maybe dumb

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm tired of hunting for a vintage black fedora with more than a 2" brim. I've found tons of them, but all the 7 1/4 hats I've found have a 2" brim.

So I went for a fur Scala on Ebay, $24.99 plus $8.95 shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180348773145

If it works for me, it will be a good buy. If it doesn't, I'll pass it to Goodwill or ARC. [huh]

I've seen Scalas mentioned here and there in threads. Anyone have experience with the Scala fur felts?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The Scala fur felt hats being produced right now have a good reputation. All of the reviews that I have read indicate a general approval of the product, workmanship, and materials. Many people say they are quite comfortable hats.

They look good too, and there are quite a few styles available.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The Scala came in today and I'm quite impressed! It has a nice, substantial feel to the felt, has a teardrop block to the crown, and the brim snaps nicely. it has a reeded sweatband tied with a ribbon at the back, and which says "Scala" and "100% FURFELT".

It came in a US postal box which pressed the sides of the brim up against the crown, but as soon as I pulled it out, the hat sprang back to shape. The ribon is black to match the hat, and width is attractive and propottional to the crown.

It is sized very accurately, and perhaps has a bit of long oval to it, as it fits me better than most hats out of the box. It is comfortable at first wearing. The pinch in front is rather wide, so I'll sharpen it a bit and get a more pointed pinch for my preferred style.

Here are photos - taken outside, so the shots sometimes make the hat appear more grey than black....but it's a nice, solid black.

P5020112.jpg

P5020114.jpg

P5020115.jpg

P5020116.jpg

P5020117.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
$25 for a fur felt hat???

Was it second hand? If it was first hand then I guess I'll have to... eat my hat. Once I've finished ingesting my hat I'll consider getting one of these.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It was advertised as new...but it didn't come in a regular hat box. It's possible that it was a resale item that was unused. There is certainly no visual evidence that it was ever worn.

Edit: There are a number of Scalas on Ebay - most for sale by the seller I bought from, Buddy-N-Patches. I note that many of them have a "Best offer" option, and I wouldn't be surprised if the price I paid would qualify.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
The Scala came in today and I'm quite impressed! IT has a nice, substantial feel to the felt, has a teardrop block to the crown, and the brim snaps nicely. it has a reeded sweatband tied with a ribbon at the back, and which says "Scala" and "100% FURFELT".

Thanks for the thread, Pilgrim. What about the sweatband? Is it leather?

I'm 7 1/4 myself. The hats are out there but this size commands a tall price in the vintage market these days :mad:.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Sweatband is advertised as leather, so far looks and feels like it as well.

From one days' experience I can't speak for the long haul, but first impressions are positive.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Nice hat!

Looks like you got a really good deal there with that fur Scala. Be sure to post pictures of your modifications to it. It may convince someone who's not positive yet to try a fedora for the first time.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the concern. I'm still alive, but I haven't started eating my hat yet. So far it hasn't been proven whether this hand was first hand or second hand. If it was first hand then I will begin eating my Stetson, hoping that I don't choke on the felt. Don't worry, it's not vintage so it won't be a waste of what we have too little of.

scala

I don't have much personal experience with scala's, but there's a a hat shop downtown that specializes in sunday church hats for a paticular type of person, don't know of a different way of saying it withouth someone thinking I'm biased. but they seem like nice hats, if I had came across that hat for $25, I'd picked it up. the store I was referring to usually wants ~100 for their fur scalas.

glad it's in good shape.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm curious as to whether someone else will pick up a hat from the same seller using the "Best Offer" approach. I suspect that an offer of half their BIN would take the hat.

I wore mine to work today, and it feels great. I walked around in the rain with it for a few minutes on Sunday and it neither lost dye nor shrank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24