Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson/Dobbs sweatbands

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I am thinking of ordering a new hat, but living here in France, I just don't have the luxury of walking into a hat store and looking over the merchandise.
Two models appeal to me. The first is the Stetson Nostalgia, the second is the Dobbs Jet. My question concerns the quality of the sweatbands. I have a new (3 year-old) Stetson Saxon which has nice dimensions and acceptable felt quality, but a sweat that is made out of ersatz leather or laquered cardboard. It starts to hurt after ten minutes of wear.
The Nostalgia is supposedly a "sovereign quality" hat, a step above the "royal" quality, the range to which the Saxon belongs. Also, the Jet is part of Dobbs' "Golden Coach" collection and is consistently described as "the finest hat made by Dobbs".
Do these hats have real leather sweats? Comfort is important to me, and with the price of international shipping, returning the hat won't be an option.
I was hoping someone here might have some experience with these hats.
I suppose I'm spoiled by my vintage hats; they are so much more comfortable. I would like to order a new hat though, if only to patronize the merchants who advertise on the Lounge.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I own two Dobbs fedoras - one is wool and came from Hats in the Belfry, called nothing more than a "Gray Fedora" and the other from The Charleston Hat Man, a Shantung "Panama." Neither has exactly a high quality sweatband, but the one in the Gray Fedora (which will be a year old in a week or two) is completely shot. It's rock hard and wavy. I'm not sure what did it in - perspiration, Brylcreem, or wearing the hat in the pouring rain. The whole hat has scaled itself down from a 7 3/8 to about a 7 1/8 due to shrinkage.

I've owned the Shantung since May or June and it's held up quite well, so maybe it's from the shrinkage of the wool.

-Dave

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
This is what I was told by Hatco . The Stetson Saxon has a bonded leather sweatband . The Nostalgia has a genuine roan leather sweatband . The roan leather is a better quality leather that is used by most manufacturers today.
But it is nowhere the quality used years ago .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Jauntyone

Then there's the Johnnyphi auctions to consider, too! You'd get a "new" hat with old world quality, and I believe he has offered to ship overseas.

lc1484

One of the Regulars
I have 3 modern Stetsons. My Nostalgia sweatband is leather, but rather stiff. My Pinnacle is the softest of the hats. I have a vintage Stetson and that sweatband is comparable to the Pinnacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner