Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Nightmares??

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Barbigirl said:
I agree whole heartedly! My ex rented Clockwork Orange when we were dating and I started whigging out and made him turn it off. I was horrified that anyone would think that a great movie.

Oh, I know! I usually love Kubrick, which is why I went at all but--just, no. Also, I saw it in a theater, which just made it seem a million times worse. I'd really like to be able to expunge that from my memory.

I've got a friend who keeps wanting me to watch the original Dutch version of The Vanishing but I keep resisting. Everyone I've spoken to has said that movie completely haunts them.

Also, I had horrible nightmares about Killer Bob from Twin Peaks when I first watched the series in 1990. The scene that scared me wasn't even violent--just a guy crouching at the end of a bed--but leave it to David Lynch to make it completely freaky. I'm rewatching the series now but I'm skipping that scene when I get to it. Shivers. Lynch's Wild at Heart had some very disturbing images too.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
imoldfashioned said:
I've got a friend who keeps wanting me to watch the original Dutch version of The Vanishing but I keep resisting. Everyone I've spoken to has said that movie completely haunts them.

That movie is so disturbing. The ending is much darker than the american version.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
I'd definately have to say IT and Nightmare on Elm Street are ones I can never watch again (IT put me off clowns for life and when a friend of mine did an evil clown shoot I couldnt even look at the pics!) These days I am a horror fan, I took myself off to see the remake of Halloween but proving I am still a baby, it finished really late and when I pulled up in the parking spot (which is pitch black and by a tree surrounded field) by my house at 1.30am I was creeping myself out with 'whats that noise' and ran inside :eek: problem is once I was inside I was just as bad and had to tell myself to get a grip lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Amber DeCadence said:
and when I pulled up in the parking spot (which is pitch black and by a tree surrounded field) by my house at 1.30am I was creeping myself out with 'whats that noise' and ran inside :eek: problem is once I was inside I was just as bad and had to tell myself to get a grip lol

i do that...when its real dark and i hear noises...watch out, here i come...at full speed...lollol

The Shirt

Practically Family
Scotrace - you made me cry with that picture. WHY!?!?! I hate those dummies. I once ran out of an antique mall because I looked up and who was hanging on the wall but a creepy creepy Charlie dummy. :eek:

LadyStardust

Practically Family
All of mine probably seem pretty silly, but they're the ones that have stuck.

Nightmare on Elm Street- The part where he gets sucked into the bed, and then you see blood dripping through the ceiling, and pooling on the floor. That always squicked me out so bad! :(

What Lies Beneath- This was basically Psycho taken in another direction, but it did the trick for me, and I didn't take baths for about a half year after watching this movie.

The Shining- the bloody elevator! :eek: :(

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Took me a while to rummage up the memories ( :eek: ), but...

The Exorcist: I started to go to church again after I saw that one--it turned me Catholic! lol

The Princess Bride: As much as I love this movie, when I was a kid the R.O.U.S. scared the bejeezus out of me. So did the albino. [huh]

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: My aunt made me very, very scared of the Oompa-Loompas. I got over it, after a few years. I love the movie now, but at the time...*shudder*

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I just finished watching "Freaks", Its a disturbing spooky movie. I think what makes it spooky to me is that it's old. The scene at the end when they crawl after the "Strong Man" is real creepy. Last year I bought a copy for a guy at work for a Christmas gift exchange. I asked him what he thought, he threw it away enough said.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Alien". When the creature bursts through the crewmans chest while the crew is sitting at a table. I saw this when it first came out in the theater and the whole crowd let out a collective "eeeewwwwwwwwww!". I thought about that one for awhile!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nightmares?

You want nightmares??!! Watch 'Ed Gein', the movie, and tell me you won't have nightmares. This is no 'Elm Street' - this is the real deal and this guy did everything they show in the movie. The nightmare is that people like this monster really exist.

I had visions of this creepy geezer for nights after reluctantly watching the movie. I could not tear myself away from it, as horrible as it was. It is simultaneously compelling and repulsive and gut wrenching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Do NOT watch this movie!

-dixon cannon

Photomuse

Familiar Face
I love horror movies, but there are a few that have impacted me for various reasons!

The Exorcist: still can't watch it

Salems Lot (which is really sad because I LOVE vampires): I woke up as a child and walked into the living room to my parents watching this movie. It was the scene where the vampire is scratching on the window as he floated outside. In my half sleepy state, it freaked me out!

And just recently I made a connection about my horror about anything to do with eyeballs. When I was a child my parents took my brother and I to see Dr. Frankenstein at the drive-in. At the scene when Dr. Frankenstein was holding a jar of eyeballs I flipped out, hid on the floor of the car and begged my parents to take me home. My brother never forgave me for that one!

And lastly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The dog with the man's head.. blech.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Photomuse said:
And just recently I made a connection about my horror about anything to do with eyeballs. When I was a child my parents took my brother and I to see Dr. Frankenstein at the drive-in. At the scene when Dr. Frankenstein was holding a jar of eyeballs I flipped out, hid on the floor of the car and begged my parents to take me home. My brother never forgave me for that one!.

if you haven't seen Hostel 1, don't...if you have you'll know what i'm talking about...lol

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
When I was a kid, I was terribly afraid of the dark. I always tried to jump into bed before the lights went out to avoid being grabbed by anything that might be lurking under the bed. Never mind the fact that my brothers and I stuffed so much detritus under that thing that a ghost would be gasping for air. The closet never bothered me.

Nowadays, though, horror flicks don't bother me. Of course, slasher flicks have never been on my "To Do" list, not even as a teen. Senseless drivel then, senseless drivel now. The lowest form of entertainment I can imagine.

Aliens, of course, was scary. I was in junior high school when it came out, and the family went to see it. It lost it's grip on me when my mother told me that she started laughing when Ash got his head chopped off and he started spitting up that white, milky robot fluid. She said the scene reminded her of every one of her seven children at infancy. lol

Since then, the only movie that has actually scared me to the jumping-out-of-my-seat status has been Event Horizon. I went in thinking it was a Sci-Fi disaster movie. Imagine my surprise. :eek: I've watched it since, but no ill effects (on me).

I enjoyed IT. Tim Curry as an evil clown! What a riot! I also enjoyed Rose Red and various other King movies, and wish I could find The Langoliers on DVD.

I've never had a nightmare because of a movie.

Lee

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
When I was a kid, I was terribly afraid of the dark. I always tried to jump into bed before the lights went out to avoid being grabbed by anything that might be lurking under the bed.

you did that too?? i'm tellin' you i would jump clear across the room when that switch was hit...ain't nothin gonna grab my lil' ankle lollol

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
i think IT still has me spooked...i can watch it fine but a year or so ago i remember a pitch black nightmare and Pennywise's face kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and i woke up screaming and sweating...it was really really strange. never had a dream like that ever. and watching all the vampire movies i used to pull the comforter up around my neck to keep the vampires from my veins...lol silly...

The Shirt said:
Also It - that's the clown in the sewer one right? I cannot ride my bike very close to one of those because I am convinced my bike will spontaneously tip to the side and get sucked into the sewer. Me along with it, where I will spend my days trying to claw my way back to the surface. I dream of that often.

I'm with you two. My mother and cousin "forced" me to watch "IT" when I was about 5 (that's how I remember it anyway). That movie really freaked me out. I think it was the scene where Pennywise turned into a rottweiler that did it for me. Not that I'm afraid of clowns, or dogs, there's just something about that movie. The night we watched it, I escaped to my room to be afraid for awhile before falling asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to use the facilities, and was nearly scared to death by a giant drawing of Pennywise that my cousin had drawn and hung on my bedroom drawer. Ha... ha... ha...

I'd say it scarred me for life, but when I watch "IT" now it doesn't scare me at all. It's a little bit laughable, actually. But it did give me nightmares for awhile.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
KY Gentleman said:
"Alien". When the creature bursts through the crewmans chest while the crew is sitting at a table. I saw this when it first came out in the theater and the whole crowd let out a collective "eeeewwwwwwwwww!". I thought about that one for awhile!

Yes! That one stuck with me as well!

Dixon Cannon said:
You want nightmares??!! Watch 'Ed Gein', the movie, and tell me you won't have nightmares. This is no 'Elm Street' - this is the real deal and this guy did everything they show in the movie. The nightmare is that people like this monster really exist.

Gag - thanks. I'd never heard of this charming nutcase before.

From Godzilla to Vampires

If I am putting off a responsibility long enough I will dream about Godzilla. Godzilla represents the Responsibility and in my dream no matter where I go Godzilla sees me and heads straight for me. Scary.

Occassionally I dream about vampires where they are in the building or neighborhood or some wheres close. i know they are around BUT what ever room i am in there is nothing that can be used for protection, and i usually know where the protection is in another room, now we have to go there to get the protective items. Scary.

Werewolves, usually there is a pandemic of sorts and the news is describing classic werewolf activity. I am traveling and in a small town I don't know. Now have to look for coin shop or jewelry store for silver and a gunshop that has reloading supplies.

Pick your film for Zombies - 28 Days, Residant Evil, Living Dead and so on- just remember "cut of the head to kill the ghoul" - usually involves long blades swords of some type. WHich is why I have a Practical Katana at home. Even more scary.

Luckily I only have these a couple of times a year.

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
When I was young, the Creeper in "The Pearl of Death" freaked me out. Actually, I seem to remember being scared by some of the other Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies too. "The Scarlet Claw" and "Hound of the Baskervilles" come to mind.

When I was older, the movies "Alien" and "Aliens" didn't scare me while watching them or for walking around alone at night, but I sure would dream quite often about the face-hugger version of the alien coming after me. Never the full grown alien, just the face-huggers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner