Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new (Vintage) HH Jacket

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

Been a while since I posted here, so I thought I show off a jacket I recently won on ebay (for £67, which is not too bad).

It's a HH jacket much like the Aero long half belt, but doesn't actually come with the side buckles.

The lining is a replacement and done by Aero in Scotland. No trace of the original brand of the jacket, and looks like it's well worn (I'm guessing from the 60s, but could be earlier...perhaps even the 50s?) but it's fully wearable (& quite heavy).

Looks like the previous owner has put a copious amount of oil/conditioner on the jacket as the leather is damp. I'm hoping the jacket excess oil will dry out eventually as I'm afraid the oil will stain anything that comes into contact with it.

If anyone can tell me what the original brand might be, I would be grateful. Also any advice on how I can remove the excess oil would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blethook

FrontWorn002.jpg

FrontWorn001.jpg

Backlaidflat001.jpg

BackWorn001.jpg

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Possible source for your new HH:

Hello, Blethook:
Here is a link to one of several pages featuring catalogs from out of the past, this one from 1955.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39109
Jacket #2 in this page looks similar to yours, except yours has a vertical zipper pocket and no action back. But, you can see you're in the neighborhood. Charlie posted a whole series of these catalog pages; among them you may well find your exact model. I think it could be a version of a Sears Hercules; they made them in a lot of different pocket flap and zipper pocket configurations. I hope this helps in your quest. BTW: awesome jacket, and it fits you perfectly. :eusa_clap

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
It is very similar in design to another that just sold on Ebay (item 180344330921) for $116 - an excellent deal IMO. I wish I could find one like it in size 48. Tag on this says it's a Hercules from Sears.

2pq5mxz.jpg
24liyix.jpg

J

john z

To remove excess oil give a thorough rubbing with kitchen paper towel.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of the help gents!

All of you have been very helpful, so thanks very much for that!!

I guess my jacket did come from the 1950 period...Very similar to the one in the catalogue, though no belt & straight vertical pocket.

Looking at the other jacket sold on ebay I noticed the pocket lining material is the same as the one in mine, so perhaps it is a Sears made jacket... On mine the main zipper has been replaced by a Conmar zipper...Perhaps it had a Talon before.

I've been thinking about getting Aero FQHH long half-belt for a long time now, but never really like Aero's larger armholes & the modern cut. So, I am extremely pleased that I managed to get my hands on this one - the real thing!!

Will try the paper towel treatment for the excess oil, but I thought I would leave it alone for the next few days in case the leather's still absorbing a bit more of the oil.

Thanks again!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley