Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New ELC Monarch A-2

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I'd like to share some pics of the new ELC Monarch A-2 jacket I got last week. I really like this jacket and love breaking it in. Too bad the weather is getting too warm, even for an A-2. The (horse) hide is buttery soft and has a thickness similar to the ELC Werber horsehide.

The hide of this particular jacket sample is rather smooth, but grains develop easily.

The sizing is generous as such I decided to get size 38 instead of my usual 40; It has worked really well :)

I know it doesn't have the Goodwear accuracy in terms of the small details, but I really dig this jacket!! The internal pockets will come handy for storing valuables. They do make the jacket appear a bit puffy initially, but will not be noticable once hide & canvas soften up.

Hope you enjoy the pictures :)

frontlaidflat.jpg

Label-collar.jpg

ColourMonarch.jpg

internalpocketopen.jpg

rotatedsleeve.jpg

shoulderseam.jpg

stencil352ndftrgrp.jpg

zipperfront-backupclose.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
That is a nice jacket! I don't know anything about A2 jackets, but I like this one. Rich colour too! Also I like the idea of an inner pocket. The stitching on the outside gives it a nice detail imho. Enjoy breaking it in, and please post some pics after a few months of wear ;) .
Cheers,
Andy

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Awesome jacket, one of the best from WW2. The inside map pockets were ordered special by the commander of the 352nd so that pilots could carry a few more essential survival items in case they were shot down behind enemy lines. An idea that should have been adopted for all A2 jackets issued as it makes the jacket so much more functional.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys :)

Maj. N.D., I saw your post from back in 2008 when you decided to return your ELC Monarch because of its thin hide ;)

I actually did the same when I first received my ELC A-1. I thought it was so flimsy (that was the exact word I used) but then changed my mind and decided to get it later on (bought it again). As many have said, these jackets (A2s, A1s) are supposed to be mild weather jacket as such they're light.

I remember when I got my Goodwear Bronco... It was packed in a small box & the whole package was very light. I thought JC had sent me a T-shirt, instead lol

In my opinion, lighter/thinner hide makes it easier for the jacket to drape more like the originals rather than stiff & heavy hide, which makes the jacket look puffy (doesn't look right)

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Awesome jacket, one of the best from WW2. The inside map pockets were ordered special by the commander of the 352nd so that pilots could carry a few more essential survival items in case they were shot down behind enemy lines. An idea that should have been adopted for all A2 jackets issued as it makes the jacket so much more functional.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the ELC Monarch, which is reasonably close to originals. Below are some pics of my original in a size 44 for comparison.

The Monarch A2 has several unique features including the blackened Talon Zip, which is very similar to the zips used by this maker on some of its naval flying jackets.
039-3.jpg

042-3.jpg

043-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

048-2.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
Andrew,
I can see what you meant about the original sizing vs. ELC's. That jacket of yours look trim for the size. Eastman went the other way around. I had to go with a size 38 instead of my usual 40.

Did you sell this jacket already? Nice condition!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes its a trim size 44, more like a wartime 42. Monarchs were always one the small size realtive to the tagged size. This jacket is part of my collection and the best original Monarch that I have ever seen.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I have a dumb question.
In this pic, why does it look like there is stitching missing on the right side of the epaulet?
Thanks,
Lenny

050-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24