Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Good wear order

Mark

Practically Family
This idea has been in my head for quite some time now but in a rash moment i put in an order with Good wear for a Star Sportswear A2. Seal brown HH. I am very much open to changing this order depending on what John says. It seemed the Star would be a good choice for my build (slim) plus it has many of the features i like (no collar stand, low collar, nice slightly curvy pockets). Also opted for an NOS Talon zip.

Anyone out there own one of these and is willing to put up some pics and review/thoughts on my order?

Cheers guys

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I saw one of ELC's Star down in Son of Stag, the vintage-inspired clothes shop on Brick Lane. I liked the look of the pattern, even though the stitching left a lot to be desired - something I doubt you get with John's.
Personally, I'm pivoting between a Dubow of some flavour and a Monarch. I'll update as this changes...

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
This idea has been in my head for quite some time now but in a rash moment i put in an order with Good wear for a Star Sportswear A2. Seal brown HH. I am very much open to changing this order depending on what John says. It seemed the Star would be a good choice for my build (slim) plus it has many of the features i like (no collar stand, low collar, nice slightly curvy pockets). Also opted for an NOS Talon zip.

Anyone out there own one of these and is willing to put up some pics and review/thoughts on my order?

Cheers guys

Here's a Goodwear Star Sportswear A2 in seal HH up for sale on ebay, have a look at the photos it shows how that jacket starts to break in with wear etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Wear...434531?hash=item1a123246e3:g:sfsAAOSw5L9XDZhv

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys and thank you Marv for the ebay link, very nice jacket. I am also looking at a Diamond dave A2 (combat treated, or some thing like that) on ebay. My size and looks fantastic in Russet cowhide. Just a bit pricy especially with all the taxes/postage, dam tempting though.

Technonut

Practically Family
According to JC's description, the Star Sportswear A-2 should be a very comfortable jacket. :)

The Star pattern is somewhat trim around the waist, but very comfortable, because they designed the upper back to be wider than other A-2s. The inset sleeves afford excellent arm motion, so much so that the sleeves don't pull up much when sitting and reaching forward. The collar is cut lower in the front, and stays clear of the wearer's chin when sitting as well. We have copied every construction detail that our original Star Sportswear A-2 displays, and we're confident that a Star A-2 will be a pleasure to wear.

In fact, Steve S (Greatest Generation Clothing Co.) just started cutting a Star A-2 for me today.. :) Mine will be in a nice, character-rich cowhide (which some originals were known to be made from), and NOS 1940's Talon zipper. I lucked-out that Steve had recently made a pattern from an original, which is just about dead-on for my measurements. ;)

Best wishes for whichever contract you finally decide upon.. :)

zhz

Practically Family
Hi, Mark, I think we have about the same build, based on the jacket you posted.
I own an original star A2 in size 36, it fits me very well. Very comfortable, and trim. Strongly recommend this contract.

Lungomare

A-List Customer

Cheers guys

Congratulation! Also to your patience :)

I ordered exactly the jacket you did, but in Italian Horsehide - more than two years ago. John is great and does what ever he can do to fasten the orders. The reason for the long waiting time is the difficulty to get the leather ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

Mark

Practically Family
I'd buy that in two seconds if it was a 48.
Hi ButteMT61, I have , deal sealed today. Pretty scary though, first time I have spent this much money on a used jacket, from a guy (albeit a very nice guy by the sounds of it) a few thousand miles away!
The bad bit is I had a lovely informative email from John at Good Wear regarding the Star I was going to buy before I saw the Diamond Dave Combat Crew on ebay. I had to thank him and cancel the order, never a comfortable thing to do. Pics when I get it (fingers crossed it fits me).

Mark

Practically Family
Congratulation! Also to your patience :)

I ordered exactly the jacket you did, but in Italian Horsehide - more than two years ago. John is great and does what ever he can do to fasten the orders. The reason for the long waiting time is the difficulty to get the leather ...

Kind regards,

Johannes
Yes, I think John is a great guy from what I know.

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, Mark, I think we have about the same build, based on the jacket you posted.
I own an original star A2 in size 36, it fits me very well. Very comfortable, and trim. Strongly recommend this contract.
Thanks Shz, have cancelled my order with John now after agreeing to buy the Diamond Dave combat crew A2 off an ebay seller. It's a size 38" (I wear a 36" for the Highwayman I own), I hope it fits.

Mark

Practically Family
According to JC's description, the Star Sportswear A-2 should be a very comfortable jacket. :)

In fact, Steve S (Greatest Generation Clothing Co.) just started cutting a Star A-2 for me today.. :) Mine will be in a nice, character-rich cowhide (which some originals were known to be made from), and NOS 1940's Talon zipper. I lucked-out that Steve had recently made a pattern from an original, which is just about dead-on for my measurements. ;)

Best wishes for whichever contract you finally decide upon.. :)
Thanks Technonut, sounds like you are onto a winner there. I love the idea of an NOS zipper, a real and tangible link to the past. I wish you well with your order.

wdw

One Too Many
Just curious - have any UK guys been hit for customs on a GW? Adding over 20% is a serious chunka change. I get hit more often than not, so the risk is high.

Mark

Practically Family
Just curious - have any UK guys been hit for customs on a GW? Adding over 20% is a serious chunka change. I get hit more often than not, so the risk is high.
If you ask them to mark the package as a "gift" you may get away with the 20% tax.

wdw

One Too Many
If you ask them to mark the package as a "gift" you may get away with the 20% tax.
I've tried that and still got hit. A gift just means you're allowed an extra £20. The Americans can import $800 free of tax, yet we can only get freakin' £35 inc. shipping and insurance.

zhz

Practically Family
I've tried that and still got hit. A gift just means you're allowed an extra £20. The Americans can import $800 free of tax, yet we can only get freakin' £35 inc. shipping and insurance.

I know this is not good and maybe dangers, but I always ask US seller lower the value, normally around $100. But 20% is too much for the original price.

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks Shz, have cancelled my order with John now after agreeing to buy the Diamond Dave combat crew A2 off an ebay seller. It's a size 38" (I wear a 36" for the Highwayman I own), I hope it fits.

Congrats, that one is a good jacket. Too long for me unfortunately, otherwise I would buy it last year when DD first put it on sale.

Mark

Practically Family
Congrats, that one is a good jacket. Too long for me unfortunately, otherwise I would buy it last year when DD first put it on sale.
Yes that's my only concern the length. My other jackets are around 24" Hoping the knitted hem will rise up a bit as they seem to do on my A1.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I feel betrayed, Mark. I wanted a fellow Lounger to suffer along with me in the weary wait of the next 20 months: the changes of mind, the nightmare of tracking down of NOS Crown zippers, to collar stand or not, should I overdye etc. Now I keep a lonely watch once again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner