Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" raccoon coat

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I saw one very much like this in a vintage store in Toronto, but it was hundreds of dollars and in bad shape. A few days later, in Montreal, we stopped in a fur store, and I saw another. That one was thousands, and I wanted vintage anyway. I don't know why, but I just think this kind of coat is really cool. So I got one on ebay. I hope the measurements are accurate.
I wonder how long it'll take my vegan friends to stone me to death.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=110111366381&rd=1&rd=1

l41.jpg

l42.jpg

How old do you think?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
How old? Hard to tell. They've been around for a while. In the U.S., their apex of popularity was the 1920s, though they continued to be made into the '30s. Some funky versions also came out in the '70s. I believe they were also made for the Canadian mounties, but with toggle closures instead of buttons.

Yours looks quite old to me. I'd say '20s or '30s, but perhaps even older than that.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I'm jealous! I have been looking for a reasonable priced fur coat, preferably somethin like sheared beaver (mink, etc.) for the short thin gentleman. But the rare few even close to my size are very expensive. When the temps dip down in the single digits all I can think of are the days as a child when we would grab one or more of our mother's fur coats and wrap ourselves up to sit the porch in the sun...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Thanks Marc.
I'm thinking it'd look with a derby.

Maybe you want to stay away from looking too Joe College, but I am thinking eight section cap or even better, a wide brimmed pork pie. If you really want to go overboard, you can pin the brim up in front.

Wconly

Familiar Face
Cool coat! As far as those against fur, leather, etc. Do what I did! I had a woman stop me in Kansas City at a hotel (I was there for a training session with work) and go after me for wearing my leather jacket! She would not stop and I couldn't for quite sometime get in a word edgewise. Then when she was finished...she asked, 'So what do you have to say for yourself?' I simply replied -- "What! Don't you believe in recycling?" She could not come up with a responce to this one. I was surprised that she didn't go after my hat -- after all, it is Beaver;) ! W>

Jerekson

One Too Many
Those kind of people bug me.

I can understand where they are coming from, but when they resort to downright harassment it kind of screws up their image.

I'm awaiting the day that someone will attack me for wearing my leather jacket.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
A very nice coat, at a very nice price. I'm a little envious to say the least. I don't know whether a coat like that would fly over here but it would be nice for the winter.:)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I told my grandma about this coat (she was born in 1923). She found it hysterical because as she put it, " they were already old by the time I was your age" :eusa_doh:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- it came today. It's in great shape, has high armholes, a tailored figure, and fits perfectly. The only problem is that it's missing a button.

IMG_1466.jpg

besides "fur is murder", what do you think?

Rooster

Practically Family
If you want to make a replica I'll send you some chicken eatin' coons that died of lead poisoning.lol Or maybe a fox?
fox.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21