Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phillips88

Familiar Face
Hey guys I’m in need of some advice. I’m in the market for another cafe racer jacket. I don’t mind at all the be patient with this one. As long as it takes to get the right one no matter the wait or price.

Iv got several leather jackets but with this one, I want it to be absolutely perfect! No fashion jackets. This one will be worn daily and the limits tested as I’m a avid Motorcycle rider. The patience of a good break in won’t be a problem. I’m wanting the heaviest, most durable, past down generations and generations type jacket, my daily worn “go to” jacket from now one.

I want to stay cafe racer style. Iv got a Schott 141 but I’m wanting something a little more “high end”. I’m really digging the Buco J-100 style but not sold by any means so I’m open to suggestions.

I’m also still undecided on the type of leather. Im leaning towards heavy FQH but once again, open to suggestions. What’s the best?

So far Iv been looking at most of the more higher end brands we all talk about.. but feel free to mention one I may not know about or haven’t mentioned?

Lost Worlds
Aero
Vanson
Schott
Thedi

Any help with this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Vanson V7.
654991550_1280x720.jpg

#thread

Lord LALA

New in Town
I'm a big fan of Aero, especially if you're in the United States and can deal with Thurston Bros in Seattle. Their "fit jacket" program works well and their customer service is above and beyond. They have several leather types and colors to select from. If you haven't already, you should look at the Aero catalog, their Cafe Racer or Board Racer may be just the ticket for you!

Dealing with Carrie at Thurston Bros is always a bonus, but if you're in Europe dealing directly with Aero in Scotland would be the way to go.

Disclaimer here... I have no affiliation with either Aero or Thurston Bros, other than being a satisfied customer. Neither do I have any experience with any of the other brands you've mentioned.

Good luck...curious as to your moto and riding style.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
First and important question to answer: Armor or no armor? On a dedicated biking jacket, I would want armor, on a jacket worn primarily casually, I wouldn't. A compromise of protection and looks is quilted padding, as the Vanson Colorado has or Langlitz offers.

If you want to go the heaviest possible, you'll end up with Lost Worlds or Johnson Leathers. Aero, Thedi, Vanson, etc are all in the 3-3.5 oz range, LW and JL are the only ones of the bunch who will offer you 4+ oz leather. Langlitz used to, not anymore though. You may want to ask them whether they have some oldstock lieing around somewhere.

My Langlitz is the best fitting jacket I own and except for Thedi I own or have owned all of the named above. It has sloped shoulders (they actually offer different angles depending on your build and wishes), unnoticeable but very effective underarm gussets "footballs" which make range of motion in the arms superior to all the others. They will do any modification you ask for. They don't offer a J-100 style but they do offer a straight zip Cascade which is about as cool as it gets; check it out here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...litz-motorcycle-jacket-–-30-years-plus.85636/

Phillips88

Familiar Face
I think I’m gonna stay away from armor. Although I’m gonna be riding a lot, I’m gonna be wearing this jacket casually a lot too.

Sort of jacket that on a typical day if I decide to ride the bike to the office, wear the jacket though out the day casually. Ride the bike back home and wear it casually to dinner with the wife afterwards. I’m afraid armor might not be the best for all that.

Iv looked at a lot of nice Aeros but I worried about the thickness, can’t help but be curious about that 4+ that LW is claiming to offer.

Can anyone vouch for Aero’s thickness vs LW or others?

Iv mainly been looking at LWs J-100 but if Iv read correctly, which this may not be true or can be something I can custom ordered but they say they don’t use the 4+ In their J-100 due to the thinner weight seems to lay better with the snug fit of the j-100? I hope that a special order could be upgraded to the 4+ in that particular model?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Send Stu from Lost Worlds a mail and ask.

Aero used to offer a stupidly heavy cowhide years and years ago, old management I think, that was 4-4.5 oz in weight. I own one of these, as does Ton. These jackets are at least equal in weight to LW, like 10 lbs heavy. However Aero uses different steerhide now which is 3.5 oz-ish and their FQHH is 3 oz.

Phillips88

Familiar Face
What is the type of fit your looking for?

About your typical cafe style cut I guess. Not too tight but still comfortable when wore casually. I tend to not care for them to be extremely short either. One thing that I don’t care for with my perfecto, how it tends to ride up the back occasionally when on my harley.

I’m 5”10, 180 pounds, 34 inch waist and 42-44 inch chest if that helps any

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Lost Worlds buco j100 that I believe would be perfect for you!
Check the classified section

dan_t

Practically Family
I have an Aero Sheene (cafe racer pattern) made from steerhide.
It’s bulletproof & I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it on my bike (other than the lack of armour).
Worth considering.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Lord La La that the best way to go is through Carrie and Wade at Thurston Brothers, if you are in the US.

A common misconception on this board is that FQHH is heavy, stiff and hard to break in. It isn't. Initially it is stiff, but it breaks in fairly quickly and is then soft and easy to wear. Most FQHH used today is 3 oz. to 3.5 oz. which is about 4 mm. The 3.5 oz. is the minimum for riding leather.

Stu makes a beast of a jacket that comes in at about 4 to 4.5 oz. of FQHH. For me that is too much for casual wear, but would be a consideration for a dedicated MC jacket. You have to be a real man to wear it, though (according to Stu).

I have a Johnson Leather MC jacket at about 4 oz. (steer), maybe a little more, which is the most I want to have to deal with.

The two posters above with their used jackets would also be good options if they fit you.

Good luck in your hunt.

Edward

Bartender
I have an Aero Sheene (cafe racer pattern) made from steerhide.
It’s bulletproof & I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it on my bike (other than the lack of armour).
Worth considering.

Indeed. Once you go past the armour question, for me, the only question about trusting an Aero on a bike would be whether you find that particular model comfortable to ride in, which is purely subjective choice. This all came up on a thrad a few weeks ago as well; myself, I wouldn't be looking at a SChott as a real riding jacket. Nice casual jackets, but comparing my 618 across all my other jackets, I'd much rather my Johnson or my heavier Aeros in a spill. None of them being armoured, they wouldn't make any differnec e ether way to an impact injury, of course.

Another option I'd consider, depdneing on how clean you want the cafe racer look, is this:

lewis-leathers-racing-black-front.jpg

Lewis Leathers x Urban Rider racer jacket in horse, with pockets for optional armour. Avilable in both black and dark brown. http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/lewis-leathers-racing-black-jacket-urban-rider-armour-ready-edition.html

Phillips88

Familiar Face
I have a Lost Worlds buco j100 that I believe would be perfect for you!
Check the classified section

sweetfights that’s one good looking jacket, that’s exactly what I’m leaning toward. Iv leanings towards the LW J-100 from day one. I wish I was a little more prepared in the wallet department at the moment or we would be making a deal right about now.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Send Stu from Lost Worlds a mail and ask.

Aero used to offer a stupidly heavy cowhide years and years ago, old management I think, that was 4-4.5 oz in weight. I own one of these, as does Ton. These jackets are at least equal in weight to LW, like 10 lbs heavy. However Aero uses different steerhide now which is 3.5 oz-ish and their FQHH is 3 oz.

May want to check on the recent/current steer batch. I asked Carrie for her best guestimate of the thickness of my steer Highwayman...out of curiosity and the fact that Monitor said it looked like the heavy steer. She replied she thought it was at least 4oz, possibly more. Probably not as thick as Ton's, but it is a beastly bit of bovine. It weighs a ton when picked up, but it's really pretty soft all things considered. My heart is pretty settled on steer with CXL. Both this and the overdye steer/cow Johnson Leathers jacket I had felt "right" from the first try on.

Phillips88

Familiar Face
This. Why am I even allowed to reply? The thread should be closed.

I really like that one a lot too. @Monitor mentioned the v7 earlier and it caught my eye then. I don’t know much about Vanson personally? What makes you guys think Vanson and the v7 a better choice when compared to, say.. LW J-100 and others?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I really like that one a lot too. @Monitor mentioned the v7 earlier and it caught my eye then. I don’t know much about Vanson personally? What makes you guys think Vanson and the v7 a better choice when compared to, say.. LW J-100 and others?
I don't have as much experience as others here, but I have handled a Vanson competition weight and an Aero FQHH jacket and with all respect to Aero, the Vanson felt more substantial and more like an actual motorcycle jacket. That is what Vanson focuses on. If I were to buy a motorcycle, the next two purchases would be a good helmet and a Vanson jacket.

Phillips88

Familiar Face
I really appreciate all the comments guys, all the opponents and suggestions are very much appreciated.

I’m still up for any opponents as I’m still building up the funds before I can actually make a purchase anytime soon. Like I mentioned earlier, I don’t want to be in any hurry, want to be sure I make the right decision no matter how long it takes.

At the moment, he’s the two I’m looking hard at...

Lost Worlds J-100 in HH

CA0C940E-0CDB-4EC9-92FB-BA0C32DBA183.jpeg

Thedi Phenix Quilted Cafe Racer in HH (think it’s Italian HH) from Thurston Bros

2E936229-C00B-4EC4-9CB2-8A187B40BD3C.jpeg

Why or why not are these two a good choice?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Whatever you choose, it's smart that you aren't in a rush. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made a purchase that I later regretted due to moving too quickly.

I would add a couple of other notes about your requirements and the companies you have listed.
1. As much as I am a fan of Thedi, I have heard that their HH is on the thinner and/or softer side. I don't think they would fit your needs despite the fact that they are generally great jackets.
2. Schott has quite a lot of leather options. I'm not sure how many of them would actually fit your needs.
3. Aero also has several leather choices. I would imagine that their CXL HH and cowhide would be the only good options, however, I know some even say that Aeros are not the best for actually riding a motorcycle.
4. Do you actually ride? If not, any of these jackets should be able to be passed down and last at least a lifetime regardless of the leathers picked (except lamb or deer possibly.)

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whatever you choose, it's smart that you aren't in a rush. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made a purchase that I later regretted due to moving too quickly.

I would add a couple of other notes about your requirements and the companies you have listed.
1. As much as I am a fan of Thedi, I have heard that their HH is on the thinner and/or softer side. I don't think they would fit your needs despite the fact that they are generally great jackets.
2. Schott has quite a lot of leather options. I'm not sure how many of them would actually fit your needs.
3. Aero also has several leather choices. I would imagine that their CXL HH and cowhide would be the only good options, however, I know some even say that Aeros are not the best for actually riding a motorcycle.
4. Do you actually ride? If not, any of these jackets should be able to be passed down and last at least a lifetime regardless of the leathers picked (except lamb or deer possibly.)
As a rider I would say the Aero jackets- cxl fqhh are great to ride in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk