Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pendleton Wilkes Jacket

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
For under $40 shipped, you could get a zip up Woolrich jacket from the 1950s in a similar style of almost certainly better quality.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The old stuff is usually better quality and cheaper but not everyone likes vintage clothes with sweaty armpit stains, smoking odours and the like from 50+years ago. A friend of mine would not be seen dead in anything secondhand for these reasons whereas I dont mind so much. The item on the dreaded EEEbay may come from a pet and smoke free home, but maybe not originally.
If the style is right, go for it. Just surf around for a better price.

A lot of the problems with Chinese products is the the Chinese make items to a price we ask them to make them for. I am not talking about the rip off market but things like this Pendleton. Just how much would that zip up cost were it made to 1950s specifications. Of course the company then adds on their profit margin.
So it's not always the Chinese manufacturers fault that their products dont last like they used to in 'The Good Old Days'.
Think I'm talking a load of old Chop Suey? Then how can the Chinese build the most advanced and fastest passenger train in the world and the most complicated Olympic stadium ever built.
Just my opinion, when I want to buy new I buy new but if I wish to buy secondhand clothing I do that as well. (or do you prefer pre-owned or pre-loved to hide the stigma associated with used clothing)
Johnny Tee

D

Deleted member 16736

The old stuff is usually better quality and cheaper but not everyone likes vintage clothes with sweaty armpit stains, smoking odours and the like from 50+years ago. A friend of mine would not be seen dead in anything secondhand for these reasons whereas I dont mind so much. The item on the dreaded EEEbay may come from a pet and smoke free home, but maybe not originally.
If the style is right, go for it. Just surf around for a better price.

A lot of the problems with Chinese products is the the Chinese make items to a price we ask them to make them for. I am not talking about the rip off market but things like this Pendleton. Just how much would that zip up cost were it made to 1950s specifications. Of course the company then adds on their profit margin.
So it's not always the Chinese manufacturers fault that their products dont last like they used to in 'The Good Old Days'.
Think I'm talking a load of old Chop Suey? Then how can the Chinese build the most advanced and fastest passenger train in the world and the most complicated Olympic stadium ever built.
Just my opinion, when I want to buy new I buy new but if I wish to buy secondhand clothing I do that as well. (or do you prefer pre-owned or pre-loved to hide the stigma associated with used clothing)
Johnny Tee

Made in China = cheap crap. I prefer my clothes to last. It's not a knock on the quality of Chinese labor, but more a comment about the quality of materials used in Chinese-made goods.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would opt for a Filson Original Mackinaw Cruiser that is only marginally more expensive and can be bought with an Alaska fit (full) or Seattle fit (slim), both in the red/black pattern.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Made in China = cheap crap. I prefer my clothes to last. It's not a knock on the quality of Chinese labor, but more a comment about the quality of materials used in Chinese-made goods.

Like I put in my post, Not counting the counterfeit stuff, they only make what we tell them to and the price we give them to make it to. This Pendleton item must have a massive profit margin though.

GAAAHHHH! Not this Sino-prejudice nonsense all over again...
+ another 1, Agreed, it is not always justified.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I would opt for a Filson Original Mackinaw Cruiser that is only marginally more expensive and can be bought with an Alaska fit (full) or Seattle fit (slim), both in the red/black pattern.

+1 A great jacket. I have it in charcoal and it is one of my absolute favorite pieces of clothing. I bought the original fit, but sized down to a 38 (from 40). Fits and wears as nice as anything I own.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
So would I.

Furthermore, there are many good USA-made options that don't even exceed the price of this Pendleton, such as Bemidji, Stormy Kromer, etc. Not for long though, if enough people buy outsourced products like this.

winterland1

Practically Family
D

Deleted member 16736

GAAAHHHH! Not this Sino-prejudice nonsense all over again...

It's neither prejudice nor nonsense. High-margin items tend to be made in the US or other Western countries. Cheap crap is outsourced to China where low labor costs can help maintain razor-thin margins. There are exceptions, but it is generally true that made in China is made there for a reason. Sony makes its highest margin radios in Japan and outsources its cheaper radios to China. Same thing with clothing. Low-margin stuff (that is made of lower quality material) is produced in China and other low-cost jurisdictions and the higher-margin, higher quality items that command a price premium are made in the US and other advanced economies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy