Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
DutchIndo said:
It still seems strange to me younger men smoking pipes. There are quite a few photos of GIs in WWII smoking them. All of them under 24-25 they seem alot more mature. What is a reaction when a young man smokes a pipe now a days ? I feel Men have lost their sophistication now. Men don't grease their hair, wear coats or smoke pipes anymore. It's a shame really. I'm a Cigar smoker ( smoking a La Perla Habana as I type ) and tried the pipe. Pipes require attention that I can't give them. My friend is an avid pipe smoker and carries a kit with him. What really suprised me is in Holland people still roll their own ! All my Cousins roll cigarettes ! Last time I saw someone roll one was on the 3 Stooges !

Tom Selleck rolls his own in Quigley Down Under and Crossfire Trail

Curt Dawson said:
Most tobacco shops have it in stock.For real fun smoke straight perique.

Been there done that. If I wanted to smoke straight Perique, I would just cut out the middleman and smoke crack. :p ;)
Seriously, every time I have smoked it straight, Perique would give me the spins. The stuff is just too strong straight---for me anyway.
I have never gotten my hands on straight Latakia so I can't comment there. I have smoked several varieties of tobacco with a larger amount of Latakia in it but not 100%.
My favorites are the black tobaccos. I find them much easier on me, my pipes and the air around me. ;) Burley/Cavendish works too though. :cool2:

jamespowers said:
I think the DEA closed them down too. ;) :p

Update, I did some research into Perique and found the history to be very interesting. The name kind of fits it when you think about it. :p
Very good call there Redpop, there is only one farm left that produces this leaf full-time and it is Percy Martin Farms in Grande Pointe Ridge, Louisiana.
After two bad crop years in the late 1990's, there was a distinct possibility that Percy Martin would stop producing it also. But a partnership was formed in 1999 between Martin and New Orleans company Nichols and Brown, bringing badly needed stability to this tiny market probably due to the people who suck the stuff up by smoking it straight. :eek: :p

There is also, amazingly, interest from cigarette manufacturers, as well as from pipe tobacco companies, it's possible that other farmers in Grande Pointe Ridge will begin growing Perique, though for the moment its future is uncertain. As a low-return, labor-intensive product, it doesn't appeal to most farmers or smokers. Just imagine the cigarettes it would produce!:eek:
For the really adventurous, some Popular Perique Blends:

Escudo Navy Deluxe, A&C Petersen
Black Parrot, Ashton
No. 2 Virginia Mixture, Astley's
Three Nuns, Bell's
Kingfisher, Butera
Elizabethan Mixture, Dunhill
Dorchester, Esoterica Tobacciana
Dunbar, Esoterica Tobacciana
Haddo's Delight, G.L. Pease
Roll Cake, Mac Baren
Bulk No. 2015 Virginia Flake, McClelland
St. James Woods, McClelland
633, Solani

For the real stuff straight, I got this info directly from Nichols and Brown:

Thanks for your interest. We have the best Perique.
We only sell wholesale, and one pound is the smallest
amount we could sell direct. One pound is $30, plus $6
shipping (US Mail). One pound goes quite a long way.
We send it in a vacuum-sealed bag; it will keep for a
very long time this way. Once you open it you should
put up smaller quantities in bags or jars. Vacuum
sealing is best, but if you squeeze the air out of a zip-
loc bag and keep it cool (as in the vegetable
compartment of a refrigerator) it should stay in good
condition until you use it.

Perique is best enjoyed fresh,so you would want to cut
up only a little at a time for blending. Don't cut it all at
once. Exposure to air and heat causes it to spoil,
hence the recommendation for squeezing out the air or
vacuum sealing.

By the way, the reason our tobacco needs such careful
storage is that it is a naturally fermented product, like
cheese or wine. No flavorings or preservatives are ever
added, so that is why it spoils easily if not stored properly.

The bulk of what is sold as "perique" in the tobacco
trade today is actually Kentucky Green River tobacco,
pressed in Louisiana to resemble genuine Perique. It is
sold granulated in bags and is treated with preservative.
This stuff never molds, no matter how you treat it, but it
is an entirely different product than what we sell.

We sell neither granulated tobacco nor any other
processed tobacco. Our business is whole leaf only.

This is whole-leaf tobacco (uncut) so you must cut it
yourself. The up side of this is that there is no tax.

At the moment we are out of our Perique from the 2000
crop. Last year's crop will be ready for shipping in a
month or so, at $30/lb. We have on hand now some
six-year-old Perique, in limited quantities, at $35/lb.

You can send us a check in US Dollars (address at
bottom). Check with us on shipping charges before
sending any money for quantities greater than a
pound.

Sincerely,
Christopher Brown, Partner
Nichols & Brown, LLC

Nichols & Brown, LLC
PO Box 58906
New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
phone 504-866-8625, FAX 504-866-8626
email: i...@perique.com

Processed like cheese!? It sure does smoke like you are smoking cheese. Buy this straight stuff at your own risk and store as per his directions or you could just eat it like cheese I guess. lol lol lol

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
hi guys/gals, introducing myself to this thread! I post over in the "hats" dept. mostly. Straight Latakia or Blending tobaccos can be purchased at C&D (Cornell and Diehl) online.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
I've been a pipe smoker since around '79 on and off, mainly cigars now.

I've worked in a few tobacco shops and managed one for awhile so I've had the opportunity to pick up some nice pipes. I have 4 or 5 Dunhills including a bent Group 6 Bruyere, an ODA Billiard, a Cumberland and a '60s vintage Dunhill Billiard that a friend saw at a flea market. He came back to the shop to tell me about it and after hearing that it was only $10 I gave him a $20 and sent him back with instructions to keep the change. I have, among others, a couple of Petersens, a nice old Caminetto pot, a Charatan and a Pioneer calabash that I truly love.

Thankfully most of my pipes were on a high shelf when Hurricane Katrina put 4' of water in our house but I did lose a few including a very nice large meerschaum Bacchus that fell on the floor.

Winter time is my prime pipe smoking time. Nothing like having that warm piece of briar in the hand!

As far as tobacco, I prefer English blends. The old Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Balkan Sobranie were my favorites but they've changed the blend in recent years. I still like the good old Tinder Box Philosopher.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Anyone know of a good source for Olive Wood pipes like this one?

47593.jpg

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Olivewood pipes

Try Johann Slabert of Jobert pipes, he makes good olivewood pipes. Have a look at his website. Though I don't own a Jobert I know many who do and they speak highly of his pipes.

dogsplayinpoker

New in Town
Nigel said:
Try Johann Slabert of Jobert pipes, he makes good olivewood pipes. Have a look at his website. Though I don't own a Jobert I know many who do and they speak highly of his pipes.

Starting to see lots of familiar faces in here. Been a pipe/cigar guy since I was 19. My first pipe was a reward to myself upon my the birth of my son.
I enjoy all types of tobacco but really like the straight virginia tobacs.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I started smoking a pipe in college (about 1975). Been a pipe smoker ever since, (taken a few breaks giving it up one time for four years). But I love it, very relaxing, a nice evening break.

My Preferred blend is from Lane's(many tobacco shops have their own names for the various blends, but they'll know them by these).

Two Parts BCA and One Part 1-Q. Gentle, nice, easy, on both the smoker and those around him/her.

I am not too big on the English Blends unless I am outside, and then just in small portions. I do sort of like Dunhill's Elizabethan, but they have quite making it. But Perique if I smoke too much upsets my tummy.

PMVARGO

New in Town
TABACCO

Nick Charles said:
Are there any pipe smokers in the lounge? I'm a new convert from cigars, and I wanted to know what type of tobacco every one enjoys. I've been trying a few and want more opinions.

Ive tried Peterson Golden Blend
Cornell and Diehl Crooner
and Peterson Sherlock Holmes
Seems to me what one person likes another dosent i like to smoke a few different flavors makes it interesting then you will know witch you like best

rikrdo

A-List Customer
MacBaren London Burley Blend
will always be in my Igloodor.
I love it all by itself and when I try something new that just doesnt cut it.....a little of the LBB usually makes it smokeable.

Solani Aged Burley Flake
GL Pease Cumberland

I could go on and on and on and........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart