Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plastic Hat Shapers really work!

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hat Shapers?

Hello,

Anyone have any experience with Hat Shapers? I'm working on a project hat, and it could use a re-blocking, and it needs to go up from 7 1/4 to 7 1/2.

If anyone has one for a fedora, or a straight sided dome, would you be interested in "renting" it for a single use?

Lorne

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I know Fatwoul used one on his western conversions with good result. But being that they are only around $30, I think you would come off cheaper to just buy one than "rent" one from somebody especially with shipping.:)

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
As neat as Hat Shapers are, wouldn't you need a brim brace or a 'doughnut' for the brim to use a Hat Shaper?

I ask because they don't seem to sell anything but the block.

Otherwise, I'd be buying all sorts of vintage hats and reblocking them myself.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I usually use the old-fashioned approach: one person grabs the front legs and another grabs the back legs. Then pull for all you're worth!

Oh! You said "hat shappers". I thought you said "cat shapers". Never mind.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hat Shapers

Anybody ever hear or see this :
Fedora%20Lg%204in.gif

It is a hat shaper constructed of 90 mil ABS plastic, thermoformed over hand carved molds.

Being the type who likes to do it myself I thought. Maybe this piece of plastic could be useful.

I found it at http://www.hatshapers.com/

Any thoughts[huh]

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
As I recall, those are intended for crafters who want to make their own felt, right on the Hat Shaper. Interesting concept. Anybody who tries it, please post the results! :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
As I recall, those are intended for crafters who want to make their own felt, right on the Hat Shaper. Interesting concept. Anybody who tries it, please post the results! :)
Use it the same as wooden block, it just isn't for major use. More for hobbyists.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I know a guy who has great success reshaping Panamas with those hatshapers. I have one in the garage that I pull out occasionally and it makes a pretty good Cuenca.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I know of a couple of people who use tham and like them. I've given mine away, but hear they're being put to good use.

One of the problems with people is that they don't come in exact head sizes, either! ;)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
One of the problems with people is that they don't come in exact head sizes, either! ;)

:arated:

PB, I'm currently researching and shopping for a hat block to maintain and do refurbs for my 7 1/4 (22 3/4) (58) sized nog. The more I learn the more I feal like I'm being sucked into a black hole. I'm leary of buying a block without first putting one of my hats on it to make sure that it is actually true to my head regardless of what numbers are carved into the block.

There is a wealth of truth and knowledge there in your simple sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy