Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Reblocking (using a vintage block and a spinner my father in law made for me) a new-to-me Borsalino. Once it dries, flange time!

b55e5d51.jpg

Last edited:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Reblocking (using a vintage block and a spinner my father in law made for me) a new-to-me Borsalino. Once it dries, flange time!

b55e5d51.jpg

You're becoming quite the renovator, my friend! What does the block/spinner do? And can't the heated stretcher damage the sweat? (At least that's what I assume the silver block is)

Cheers,

email68

One of the Regulars
Got two hats today...

The first is a Bluegrass Green Akubra Camp Draft.
Photoon2011-01-10at1909.jpg

And the second that came today was my Adventurebilt Henry.

Photoon2011-01-10at1912.jpg

Before this all I owned was a Dorfman Pacific wool Indiana Jones hat. So these are a big change for me.

Still working on the bash for the CD. The Henry came pre-bashed luckily! And a great hatbox too.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
You're becoming quite the renovator, my friend! What does the block/spinner do? And can't the heated stretcher damage the sweat? (At least that's what I assume the silver block is)

Cheers,

Thanks Alex!
The spinner allows you to spin the block while "stuffing" (lacking a better term here) the block inside the crown while pulling down the brim. I've never had a problem with the heated stretcher as it barely warms up the sweat.

Chinaski

One Too Many
The first is a Bluegrass Green Akubra Camp Draft.
Photoon2011-01-10at1909.jpg

And the second that came today was my Adventurebilt Henry.

Photoon2011-01-10at1912.jpg

Before this all I owned was a Dorfman Pacific wool Indiana Jones hat. So these are a big change for me.

Still working on the bash for the CD. The Henry came pre-bashed luckily! And a great hatbox too.

You went from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds! Excellent acceleration, and welcome to the Lounge.

DRB

One Too Many
You went from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds! Excellent acceleration, and welcome to the Lounge.
I agree! If you think your hat is too tight from the start, you have 3 options: One:wear it a while and hope for it to shape to your head, Two: send them back for a larger size, or Three: buy a good hat stretcher (jack/stand). Here is the one I use: http://www.penmanhats.com/Hatbrushes___Hatboxes.html
And here is a picture of the other side of the stand:
Oct30201041.jpg

Oct30201011.jpg

Set it to the size you want and it will maintain that size. I have to use it on my VS which is a bit tight.
Those are some nice hats you have.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait for them to build the Adventurebilt?

email68

One of the Regulars
I agree! If you think your hat is too tight from the start, you have 3 options: One:wear it a while and hope for it to shape to your head, Two: send them back for a larger size, or Three: buy a good hat stretcher (jack/stand). Here is the one I use: http://www.penmanhats.com/Hatbrushes___Hatboxes.html
And here is a picture of the other side of the stand:
Oct30201041.jpg

Oct30201011.jpg

Set it to the size you want and it will maintain that size. I have to use it on my VS which is a bit tight.
Those are some nice hats you have.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait for them to build the Adventurebilt?

I think I will invest in one of those stretchers. They are not really that tight, just a tad.

The Adventurebilt Henry is not a custom build, its their high-end production hat. It took a few weeks for John Penman to get them in stock. They are ready made and come in full sizes. Its a very nice hat as far as I can tell.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
How does one find out how much Penman charges for... well, anything, much less the hat stretcher? I may just be missing it, but I so no prices on any product on that web page.

DRB

One Too Many
My memory is poor, but I believe I paid $65.00 for my Jack/Stand from Penman. Now I see they are $95.00. I could be wrong. If you have a quality hat, I highly recommend you shell out a little more money to take care of it. Just a thought.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Just posted this in the Akubra thread....

Well, I didn't get a Campdrift, but my Akubra Pastoralist just came in.

Felt is nice and supple, almost thin, but resilient and holds shape perfectly. The box came totally smashed flat and the hat was completely smashed, too. But it popped back into shape perfectly well.

It is a pretty bluish/gray which is a nice surprise because the bad ebay photo made it look tan. The photos below are only a bit lighter than the actual color.

5346947746_8925529490.jpg

5346947932_fa92e4b7be.jpg

The pinch is really short, but deep. Never seen a pinch like that. But it looks OK. Also I imagined that I would get rid of the leather hat band and put on a ribbon, but now that I see it... I think I like it. I am leaving it this way.

I have to say, I am very happy with her.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari