Post New Hats Here!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rundquist, May 4, 2004.

1. Historyteach24

Historyteach24 Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

2. Historyteach24

Historyteach24 Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

3. Neophyte

Neophyte My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wowee, Vik! Pardon the french, but that's a damn good-looking hat! Congratulations :eusa_clap.

4. suitedcboy

suitedcboy One Too Many

It is futile to try to give meaning to the X rating system. I'm no too sure it has ever made sense except for one manufacturer for one season. Then you add the nomenclature where there is no X mentioned. I think any of these are upper grade hats for their day as the mention of price was status and to call it a Stetson 25 for instance, when a high grade hat cost $100 wouldn't have made marketing sense.
    A 7X was 100% beaver for a time then 10X became that felt and then it went haywire.
    Resistol and Stetson both have done some product branding ploys that seem unseemly to me.
    They have named hats with Spanish names, hats that are 200X and 500X, and the hats are not as nice as their 100X hats of the same season (year). The hats will have much brighter liners and the ""X's" stamped are larger and on many the buckle set will have a medallion of "200X" or "500X". I saw one in a local store here with the 500x on a medallion on the band front and center. Very sad..........
    I have to look at and handle the particular hat these days as there is no trust in the X system for the mass manufacturers. Beaver and rabbit come in different grades and that adds to the complexity too.
    In western hats there is one hat that has been consistent for about thirty years, a Resistol 20x Black Gold.
    That hat has a great hand and is velvetty feeling and has proven a tough hat for guys who wear a hat most of their waking hours in all weather. It was a hit when it was first sold and apparently someone in authority recognized the value of not messing with or cheapening that hat. It is the Whippet of modern western hats I would say.

5. Greyfox

Greyfox One of the Regulars

I asked Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes to make me an Adams Majestic clone. I think he nailed it!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. T Rick

T Rick Practically Family

Wow Greyfox, that is one great lookin' hat!

7. Mobile Vulgus

Mobile Vulgus One Too Many

Quite a lid, greyfox!
    Very distinctive.

8. monbla256

monbla256 Call Me a Cab

You now need to get a suit made to just go with THAT hat !!! I must say, that ones the most IMPRESSIVE hat I've seen on this Forum. Art outdid himself it looks like :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

9. alanfgag

alanfgag

Very striking... has a titanic quality to it. Thanks for posting!

10. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

Robert: Is it an Stetson O.R.?

11. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

With no disrespect to suitedcboy's nice dissertation, to summarize, the X thing has become a marketing gimmick.

12. Mobile Vulgus

Mobile Vulgus One Too Many

... and an annoying one at that.

13. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

That appears to be a VERY tall crown! It's lovely, and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see a noggin shot. Nice VS!

14. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Dobbs 100

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-1/2 x 3-1/4. Needs a Clean & Block as it had a "Gus" crease and was definitely used. The ultimate in American-style felt. Tiny fibers of great uniformity of size and color densely packed and pounced for an almost smooth surface while retaining a soft hand. Thinner and lighter than Western Weight but denser than typical dress hats.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  15. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Nice

16. jimmy the lid

jimmy the lid I'll Lock Up

Oh, sure, it's nice -- but would you wear it?

17. jimmy the lid

jimmy the lid I'll Lock Up

And, BTW, rlk -- congrats on scoring a very rare Dobbs...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

18. Greyfox, that VS is a beaut!

Like your Dobbs, rlk!

19. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

Robert, I bet that Dobbs 100 is super soft and pliable. Looks great!

Cheers!

Dan

20. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

That lid must make you purr inside when you wear it. It is a stunner Greyfox!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan