Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1950s British/European sportswear and leisurewear

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A "Sun-shirt" by famous German shirtmaker "Rotnaht". Probably 1930s.
The material is like porous light towel cloth. Very comfortable at high temperatures.
I guess it is a cotton and raw-silk blend.

SAM_7218.jpg
]
SAM_7217.jpg

SAM_7215.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys. European leisure shirts are an interesting niche...

here (Berlin 1947) a leisure shirt with square buttons.
(Yes, I know it's hard to focus on the buttons... ;) )

df_pk_0000059_030.jpg

www.deutschefotothek.de/documents/obj/88930091

----

Here also a zipped jersey sport shirt I made... it was a modern long sleeve shirt with buttons.
I made the collar and added a"ZIPP" zipper from the 30's. The label was salvaged from a ragged 30's undershirt.

SAM_7221.jpg

SAM_7219.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wonderful...

Cycling jerseys had buttoned front pockets. Not the ripcage. Just some stuff.

I think I've linked this in the french catalog scan thread but there is a cycling catalog from 1938, the same years as the boule-picture and there is shirt with "unis sport" print (and front pocket). It's great to have a comparsion between catalog pictures and the same garments worn in real life.
http://archivalclothing.com/shopping-from-1938-unis-sport-catalog/

unissport11.png

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here also a zipped jersey sport shirt I made... it was a modern long sleeve shirt with buttons.
I made the collar and added a"ZIPP" zipper from the 30's. The label was salvaged from a ragged 30's undershirt.

SAM_7221.jpg

SAM_7219.jpg
Certainly looks the part. I should ask J. to sew me one like this.
I once found a zipped shirt on the fleamarket but it was trashed and got worse when I tried washing it.

sport front.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Certainly looks the part. I should ask J. to sew me one like this.
I once found a zipped shirt on the fleamarket but it was trashed and got worse when I tried washing it.
attachment.php

Oh - great find, Floey - though it was in bad condition!
Cool to find stuff like this at all on fleamarkets.
Yes, copying it and re-using the Zipper, button and tag would be the best way if it is really trashed.
On the photo it still looks wearable, though.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

There was a lot of color bleeding and the teeth of the zipper came off. The whole thing was just disintegrating. It's not wearable anymore. We might copy the style of the pocket but the rubber band at the bottom wouldn't be my first choice. Either a straight hem or some tube-knit?

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Such a long shirt would be better tucked into the trousers. I would make a straight shirt hem (like on mine).
If you want to wear it like a sweater or jacket over a shirt, I would do a tube knit hem but make the body shorter.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There was a lot of color bleeding and the teeth of the zipper came off. The whole thing was just disintegrating. It's not wearable anymore. We might copy the style of the pocket but the rubber band at the bottom wouldn't be my first choice. Either a straight hem or some tube-knit?

I was wondering about the elasticated waist as well. Certainly an unusual design feature, but has potential to look a bit like a sack!

Flat Foot Floey

I think this was more likely a part of a track suit than a casual shirt that would be worn for layering.

This add is from 1931
DasMagazin_1931_Heft88_004.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

I was thinking about something like that too.
Would you buy cycling jerseys repros with a pointy polo collar if they were made of normal cotton jersey? With that chest pocket thingy?
I am afraid the knitted wool versions are too complicated to make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters