Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1950s British/European sportswear and leisurewear

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1950s ski clothing from a 1950s film The Divided Heart:

skigear2_zps4799ff25.jpg

skigear1_zps29325076.jpg

skigear3_zpsfb25c08b.jpg~original

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I probably will have this made for summer:
KxoGhXy.jpg

From 1934. Boys-blouses.
Made from "strong shirt fabric in light colors" with "schiller collar and mother of pearl buttons".

Metatron

One Too Many
I see a lot of photographs of skiers from that period wearing just a shirt with a crew neck jumper.
Isn't this a terrible choice of skiing attire, as it is not wind-proof in the slightest?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[huh]I never went skiing in my life. I imagine one would get hot from the sport. There is an early 30s picture of Leni Riefenstahl skiing in a bathing suit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lightweight breathable skiwear is a must for Spring skiing as one can become overheated (and dehydrated) when combining relatively warm temps with bright sun and vigorous exercise. Also, there are various ski venues that are inherently warmer than others. For instance Banff which is in the Canadian Rockies is much colder than Aspen which is in the American Rockies.

I can definitely see being quite comfortable wearing this garb back in the day.

image.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I also get the impression that a lot of ski resorts were smaller and at lower levels, meaning they weren't as cold. Thus the skiers didn't need such well developed weatherproof clothing.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Difficult to get a good quality grab of this jacket but it might be of interest. It's from the British film Music Hath Charms (1935). The jacket appears to be suede with a buttoned front and small, very square front pockets:
AntoinetteCellierampWallaceDouglas_zps7af3e6da.jpg

suedeleisurejacket_zps8a464846.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From a german sweing magazine 1932
tumblr_n456hmVQuE1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

from an album I found on the fleamarket:
tumblr_n5kv2iAc5I1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

Why are belts more popular for sportswear? Do braces restrict the movement?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Why are belts more popular for sportswear? Do braces restrict the movement?

perhaps your opponent's racket or club could get caught in your braces while they're taking a shot and the racket or club rebounds and hits you in the face and knocks you out.
when you wake up you're married to an annoying posh girl and living on the French Riviera. or have i been watching too much Jeeves and Wooster ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy