Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about a vintage drab shell top hat

Cheviot

New in Town
Good day!

I recently picked up a vintage Lock and Co. Gray fur felt top hat on eBay. However, what the photographs didn't make clear is that the felt has gotten fuzzy, with lots of flyaway hairs. How can I get this fixed? I'm new to this sort of issue.

Thanks for any help!

VLcR9z0.jpg

zwNQJZX.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Dampen it gently and iron it (not too hot). But use a cotton cloth when ironing. This should flatten the fuzz.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
If this is a 7 1/2, I think i might have been bidding on this against you, but you won. In any case, good luck, looks like that cloth and iron trick works great, but be careful as it's a light felt obviously.

-Max

I would try brushing it with the nap with a good amount of steam. Also might trying ironing and polishing. I guess they were going for some type of look with this natural finish. I think for fur it's best to go with Melusine (it has a more Silk like appearance).

Cheviot

New in Town
If this is a 7 1/2, I think i might have been bidding on this against you, but you won. In any case, good luck, looks like that cloth and iron trick works great, but be careful as it's a light felt obviously.

-Max

It is a 7 1/2! Hopefully the next time one comes around you get it.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
It is a 7 1/2! Hopefully the next time one comes around you get it.

No worries, Cheviot, I may see you walking around in it after all. It seems we are compatriots, in our city of Brotherly Love.

By the way, check out the Philadelphia Vintage Society on Facebook, I'm hoping that we have a vintage day at the races sometime this spring as well, so you'll get to wear the hat: http://www.facebook.com/groups/PhiladelphiaVintageSociety/

-Max

Cheviot

New in Town
No worries, Cheviot, I may see you walking around in it after all. It seems we are compatriots, in our city of Brotherly Love.

By the way, check out the Philadelphia Vintage Society on Facebook, I'm hoping that we have a vintage day at the races sometime this spring as well, so you'll get to wear the hat: http://www.facebook.com/groups/PhiladelphiaVintageSociety/

-Max

Thanks for the link! I'm asked to join. I'm getting together morning dress now, so a vintage day at the races would be awsome!

Thanks again,

Tom

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link! I'm asked to join. I'm getting together morning dress now, so a vintage day at the races would be awsome!

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom,

Approved. I too am getting together morning dress for my wedding, but I fully intend on finding other excuses to wear it.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy