Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricky Jackets

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

As many of us know, ricky jackets are a type of rayon jacket. But why the word "ricky"? Google yields no definite answers, only conjectures.

Supposedly, it refers to the Ricky Ricardo character from I Love Lucy -- yet it's also claimed that he wore a two-tone gab jacket only once in the entire show's run. So, what gives?

Edward

Bartender
The ...Lucy character was always my understanding of where it comes from - much as, ince the 60s, all jackets in the style of the Baracuta G9 have been referred to as 'Harrington' jackets.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ricky Ricardo was, in many ways, a retro entertainer. Nearly all of the songs he performed were pre-1940. The only contemporary thing about him was his wardrobe.

Am curious to know who invented the term, "ricky jacket". If only he/she had copyrighted it...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wikipedia:

Jimmy Buffett states that, "the thing about writing a song like this is that the older you get, the more people there are who need an explanation of the characters in the song. I shudder to think how old Sky king's niece Penny is today. It all started with that two-toned Ricky Ricardo jacket. I can't wait for them to come back."

(referring the song Pencil Thin Mustache)

I think that's probably where the term comes from, Ricky Ricardo. But when the association got kicked off or how would be a nifty term paper.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
It is interesting that, as a short hand, ricky ricardo comes to represetn a certain fifties imagery. But far from the youthful person that might actually wear one back then, Lewis, Elvis, the kid at the corner drug store, he was a very well dressed sophisticate, many years out of his teens.

While the jackets were not strictly teenage or youthful, they wre typically worn by middle class youth and maybe older working class guys. they would not be a typical part of a gentleman's wardrobe, which would consist of suits, ties, sweaters, and maybe a gaberdine longer lounge jacket or two if you lived in California. Granted, Ricky does look great in the one episode he wears one in, but you are right. That is it.

But Ricky does say fifties.

A similar irony is how Vegas has been embraced by the vintage rockabilly, car culture crowd. Whereas, back in the fifties, while Elvis and buddy Holly et al were playing auditoriums around the country, only square accountants went to Vegas to watch the equally square, yet older hip rat pack. A pompadoured Elvis fan would not have set foot in the Sands.

Even Elvis' appearance was in the mid sixties when he was old, fat and sweaty, and far from youth icon he had been. i am sure that his shows were not populated by the youth of the time, but their older sisters aunts, or even mothers.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ricky

Advance%206315%20a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points