Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rope (1948)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Anyone watch this last night on AMC? We had never seen this Hitchcock triller before, I guess it was Jimmy Stewarts first time with the director. It was also Hitchcock's first color movie. It's funny though, that at times I was so focused on the suits I missed some of the story.
rope3.gif

Rope_US_005015.jpg

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
This is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies, maybe because it's so rarely on TV. Everyone is so sophisticated ! I understand that it was based loosely on the Leopold and Loeb case of the '20s(30's?) and I remember hearing somewhere that there was something special about the way it was filmed, all on one reel or one camera or something, I don't remember...It is a great film! Even my teenage son likes it, and thats a rousing endorsement:D

Starius

Practically Family
I saw that it was going to be on, but I missed it!
I don't remember what I was doing now.
Saw Rear Window and Dial M For Murder the night before, though. Sorry I missed this one, I've never seen it air on television before.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It was shot in a series of full-reel (that is almost 10-minute) takes with NO cutting in the usual sense. It was all very carefully rehearsed and shot entirely in long takes with complex camera moves to allow dollying in for two-shots, closeups, etc., as needed. Reel changes were handled by having the camera pass through a shadow, or across somebody's unlit back, so there'd be an instant of darkness to hide it.

The set, featuring the whole apartment surrounded by a gigantic cyclorama background painting of NYC, model buildings with working lights, moving spun-glass clouds, all carefully lit with adjustable lights and gels to show the transition from day to night in real time, was also an amazing achievement.

Hitchcock set himself the difficult task of making a movie without the usual editing, more akin to a filmed play. Besides the technical challenge, I believe he thought that it would subliminally add to the film's tension.

It's far from my favorite Hitch film, but it's certainly a fascinating oddity in his filmography!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
Saw Rear Window and Dial M For Murder the night before, though. Sorry I missed this one, I've never seen it air on television before.

I wanted to watch those two on AMC, but unfortunately had to work that evening...

Rope is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies; have that one on DVD.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Watched this recently from Netflix. Beautifully filmed movie with a stark simplicity that I can really appreciate.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Always liked this one....Stewart is great as always, and Hitchcock delivers his usual Top Notch direction.

Highly recommended for fans of Stewart, Hitchcock.....Or just plain old good movies!

nyx

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
It was shot in a series of full-reel (that is almost 10-minute) takes with NO cutting in the usual sense. It was all very carefully rehearsed and shot entirely in long takes with complex camera moves to allow dollying in for two-shots, closeups, etc., as needed. Reel changes were handled by having the camera pass through a shadow, or across somebody's unlit back, so there'd be an instant of darkness to hide it.

The set, featuring the whole apartment surrounded by a gigantic cyclorama background painting of NYC, model buildings with working lights, moving spun-glass clouds, all carefully lit with adjustable lights and gels to show the transition from day to night in real time, was also an amazing achievement.

Hitchcock set himself the difficult task of making a movie without the usual editing, more akin to a filmed play. Besides the technical challenge, I believe he thought that it would subliminally add to the film's tension.

It's far from my favorite Hitch film, but it's certainly a fascinating oddity in his filmography!

I took a Hitchcock film class where we watched this, for a couple of reasons. One was the continuous takes, which meant all the props were wheeled in and out during sequences. It's almost set in real time, which is amazing because you feel like you are there experiencing it. You get to feel what the characters feel. Another was for the latent homosexuality implied in the relationship between Phillip and Brandon, which got the film banned. Poor Farley Granger seemed to get very mousy roles in Hitchcock's films. One thing that I thought was interesting in this and other Hitchcock films is how you end up rooting for the villians a lot of the time or at least feeling for them. As Phillip is squirming under Jimmy Stewart's gaze, you can't help but feel pity for him.

I remember seeing Strangers on a Train and actually holding my breath when Bruno drops the lighter and can't reach it. You find yourself wanting him to get it.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I love Hitchcock films, they're really well done and I always enjoyed them as a kid (and even now).
Its fun to spot the Hitchcock cameos too, I think in the Rope there was a photo of him on the back of a book or magazine? I can't remember, but this is definitely one of the good ones. I also recommend Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, and Psycho of course.
If you like the storyline try looking for some of the Alfred Hitchcock short stories books, as most of his movies were based on short stories, I think there was even a series he had going for a while. Anyways, enjoy.

Starius

Practically Family
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Only caught Rear Window last night. Anyone know what is showing tonight??? I know Psycho is on Saturday. Eek. I think I will pass on that one if I am home alone.

Vertigo and Saboteur is on tonight. (Rope is airing right now as I write this, dang it, I could have caught it again today!)

Tomorrow night is Marnie and Frenzy.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I love all Hitchcock films...every single one of them
has their own special feel to them. I also think it's
horrible how he was not recognized for his talents
during the time the films were out.

I do love how he just came out and said "Thank You"
and walked away when he was given the Lifetime
Achievement Award at the Academy Awards.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't say he was not recognized during his lifetime. I'm not sure if he ever got a "Best Picture" or "Best Director" Oscar, but he was HIGHLY esteemed at the peak of his career. I personally like his early British films. Check out "Secret Agent", the earlier version of "The Man Whio Knew Too Much", and an especially odd but fascinating film, "Rich and Strange".
He did many silent films as well.

KL15

One of the Regulars
Watched this film from my Netflix. I'm always amazed at how great the stories were back in the Golden Era. Back when you had to sell a movie on a story. You know, before special effects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo