Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 626 Lightweight for colder weather??

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I'm almost ready to by my Schott jacket .I've wanted one for years. I'm going to have it custom made as off the rack never fits me right . I have a large chest and wide shoulders and a narrow waist. Depending on my weight it's anywhere from a 12" to 14" drop from chest to waist for me. I'm also long in the torso .

At any rate. I saw the 626 Lightweight now being as I'm having it custom measurements made the fit isn't what got my attention. The lightweight designation did. I live in central Florida it sometimes will drop to the upper 30's and low 40's here in winter. I also spend time in California. So I thought the 626 would be perfect for that .a 618 might be TOO warm for the majority of where I will use the jacket .

However, I do spend time on NYC in Fall and Early winter as well .would the 626 be adequate for such weather with some layering?

Thanks in advance ! Pics would be great if any has any in their 626 !!

Kind regards!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Leather is weird, in winter it offers very little protection from the cold, in summer you might as well be wearing a sweat suit.
I really don't think you can have one do it all leather jacket, it is always going to be not warm enough for a cold winter, and too warm for a hot summer.
The cooler jacket i have is my ELMC Californian, it has mid weight leather and super thin rayon lining, and i can barely wear it in a british summer, let alone California.
My warmest jacket is probably my CXLHH Aero D pocket with strome lining (thickest wool available), and in freezing conditions it doesn't really help much, and the layers i wear underneath do most of the work.

All that to say, leather is for looking cool, not for comfortable temperature...

Edit: the lightweight designation is the hide, which has the least influence on felt heat. The liner IMO does most of the work.

Leather is weird, in winter it offers very little protection from the cold, in summer you might as well be wearing a sweat suit.
I really don't think you can have one do it all leather jacket, it is always going to be not warm enough for a cold winter, and too warm for a hot summer.
The cooler jacket i have is my ELMC Californian, it has mid weight leather and super thin rayon lining, and i can barely wear it in a british summer, let alone California.
My warmest jacket is probably my CXLHH Aero D pocket with strome lining (thickest wool available), and in freezing conditions it doesn't really help much, and the layers i wear underneath do most of the work.

All that to say, leather is for looking cool, not for comfortable temperature...

Edit: the lightweight designation is the hide, which has the least influence on felt heat. The liner IMO does most of the work.

Seconded.

I still don't believe that wearing a leather jacket during the summer is even possible, not without dying from a heat stroke. And yeah, weight of the hide has zero effect on how hot it gets under the jacket - either the lightest of the lightweight jackets or 6 oz beast, doesn't matter. The jacket will turn into an oven under the summer sun.

Last edited:

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars

Wow. Thank you for your input I wasn't aware of that. Back in the day in NYC I always wore Peacoat or Full length dress coats. Also of wool construction

I usually am in California in winter and the temperature will drop quite a bit at night around L.A. at least .Here in Florida when it dips into the low 40's it's cold to me and right now I get by with a heavy flannel jacket that is lined but it's not adequate if you're outside more than a few minutes I use it for taking the dog outside .

It's odd up north I didn't even put on a jacket until the teens in temperature. Now the 40's is cold to me. I've been spoiled.
Thank you for that input. It's much appreciated

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Wow. Thank you for your input I wasn't aware of that. Back in the day in NYC I always wore Peacoat or Full length dress coats. Also of wool construction

I usually am in California in winter and the temperature will drop quite a bit at night around L.A. at least .Here in Florida when it dips into the low 40's it's cold to me and right now I get by with a heavy flannel jacket that is lined but it's not adequate if you're outside more than a few minutes I use it for taking the dog outside .

It's odd up north I didn't even put on a jacket until the teens in temperature. Now the 40's is cold to me. I've been spoiled.
Thank you for that input. It's much appreciated

I mean, don't get me wrong, i have worn a leather jacket in low 40s and been warm, but i also wore a couple jumpers underneath it. In a rough NYC winter i would always choose a Peacoat or a Greatcoat over a leather jacket. (covering the thighs really helps keep warm!)

The same way, there are a few guys around here that live in Australia and Asia and manage to wear leather jackets in the heat, but i personally turn into a sweaty mess if i wear leather above 70F, even if it is lightweight hide and a thin lining.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
42E80908-CA41-4500-9A02-3694E56CDE9A.jpeg
If you want leather in the cold you can always...

OP, have you considered perforated leather for the FL summer? I can attest that the Vanson Perforated Competition Weight hide is great. The Vanson Breeze is an option.

The same way, there are a few guys around here that live in Australia and Asia and manage to wear leather jackets in the heat, but i personally turn into a sweaty mess if i wear leather above 70F, even if it is lightweight hide and a thin lining.

During the south Florida summer I can only keep a leather jacket on if riding. If not, I sweat so much people probably think I have a bomb strapped to my body... or ate like this guy...
ben-stiller.png

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
OP, have you considered perforated leather for the FL summer? I can attest that the Vanson Perforated Competition Weight hide is great. The Vanson Breeze is an option.

During the south Florida summer I can only keep a leather jacket on if riding. If not, I sweat so much people probably think I have a bomb strapped to my body... or ate like this guy...
ben-stiller.png

Yes I do have perforated leather for riding .this is more for a jacket off bike in the colder months here and during travel since I don't own a real jacket for off bike usage .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot