Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott sizing:inconsistencies?

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
I have several schott leathers,bought my first in1990 from an importer in covent garden,an ma1 that I'm still breaking in,the leather is like my fqhh aero stockman.On the collar it says size 44,but on the seam tag next to the blurb about cleaning and the NJ stuff it says size 46.I have another,similar lengh and style to a 'veste de rallye',42 on the collar,44 on the seam tag.Both are original us made 'proper' schotts,not the horrible,new european stuff that's being made with their name on.I also have a very old,(there must be a way of dating them from the side tags),'184' that didn't have it's liner or collar with it when I picked it up at an auction that has 50 marked on it's pocket and seam tags,but a friend of mine who wears a standard 48 sports jacket says it's too small on him.Does anyone know how the sizing works with the old schotts?I'd really like to know,cheers.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Schott sizes differ by the period of production. If you email Gail at Schott with the tag number of the jacket she will give you the styles measturements for that production year. I have tried on several 184s and own a 184 and 2 674MS, I havent noticed a large fluctuation in size. I used to wear between a size 48 and 50 sports jacket and I could wear a size 50 or 52 schott, depending on how much room for a sweater I wanted underneath. The rule of thumb for 184 is that they run just about a size small. The 674MS probably run smaller, but none of mine have size tags on them. My guess is that the only way a size 50 184 wouldnt fit someone with a 48 suit size is if the person has a fairly wide midsection or very large shoulders and arms. My waist was always around 8" less than my chest, so the waist wasnt an issue for me, but I did run into issues with shoulders and arms on some of the schott styles.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Cheers JL,but what I don't understand is why there is one size on the collar and a different one on the tag with the model No.By the way,which one is the 674ms? B.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Cheers JL,but what I don't understand is why there is one size on the collar and a different one on the tag with the model No.By the way,which one is the 674ms? B.

I dont have any Schotts with sizes on the collars at all. If the collar is detachable, it may have been added later since detachable collars fit a wide array of jacket sizes with Schott styles. I would email gail with the jacket tag ID number and she will be able to clarify for you, their records are really amazing. As far as the 674MS, it is the predecessor to the 184SM, it looks like a 184, but has a non removable collar and a shearling lining. They are also often in the steerhide finish. I like the 674MS more than the 184 and they can be found cheap on Ebay used.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
I think the 184 has a zip in liner which may have been replaced with a different size tag at some point. The tag with the model number included should be more accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy