Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Rosie

One Too Many
Very nice LD, I'll have to hit you up for some copies of patterns. ;) Hey, the lady in the pattern with the pladi jacket is carrying a purse similar to one I bought yesterday.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Very nice LD, I'll have to hit you up for some copies of patterns. ;) Hey, the lady in the pattern with the pladi jacket is carrying a purse similar to one I bought yesterday.

Sure on the patterns Rosie, we'll be in touch. And thanks Decodoll. Yeah the button gives the coat a cape look that I dig. I have some vintage wool that I am going to make one more out of now that I have my practice ones out of the way.

I tend to like stiffer fabrics, so they both need a good pressin so theyll drape better. What threw me off was the honkin 5/8" seam allowance! MAN oh MAN :)

Id love to see what others are workin on!

LD

Lauren Henline said:
Ok.. I've come out of the sewing cave relatively unharmed (minus the strange painful blister on one hand and jabbing myself with a pin under my fingernail on the other hand). So, yes, definately NOT golden era, but here's my 1700's Robe De Francaise:
robe13.jpg

robe14.jpg

OMG!! How did I miss this! Lauren that is MAGNIFICENT!! It reminds me of Jeanette MacDonald in New Moon.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LolitaHaze said:
Lauren... Breath taking!!

Lady Day... Could you post a photo of you wearng that coat? I want to see how it lays.

me2.jpg

me.jpg

The lining is a stiff twill that I prolly should not have used and it still needs a good pressin, but it hangs great at the back of the shoulders.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last one with this pattern.

I used my Mother's vintage wool for this coat. It turned out well. I LOVE the buttons.
I may have to put in a hook above the top button, cause they keep sliding making the coat look uneven.

vincoat.jpg

vincoatdetail.jpg

Now that the fall is comming, I need to start on some nice pencil skirts (I have a lovely honey colored herringbone) and some fall dresses. Man, soon all the clothes I own I will have made! :)

LD

ps, anyone else made any progress?

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
LD (or anyone else who might want to chime in),

I notice that you and many others will often make several different pieces of one pattern, in one sewing spurt. (Does that make sense at all?)
Anyway, I am hoping to begin sewing soon...do you find that is the most efficient way to sew? So if you have a skirt pattern, you may make 3 or 4 skirts out of it at a time (using different fabrics, obviously?) Or do you skip around or work on different projects at the same time?

Just curious as to what habits you find best work for you...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I am making something, I often make it a staple in my wardrobe. So when I sew, I tend to make two or three variations of something.

Yes I do, if the first one turns out well, tend to crank them out because I have just worked out the kinks in the design, I know how long it will take to finish, and Ive already picked out three or so types of fabrics that I would love to see the design in.

I also generally go fabric shopping with a particular garment type in mind. So Im nooking for a type of fabric and specific notations as well.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, I tend to do that too -- if I find a pattern I really like, I'll make it up over and over again, trying to come up with different variations in fabric, trim, and so forth. There's one pattern in particular that I've made up four times so far -- even though the instruction sheet has pretty much disintegrated from being handled so much. Fortunately, I've memorized how to assemble it by now!

I do try to take a rest, though, between projects. I find that if I try to do too many one right after another, I get overconfident and don't pay as close attention to detail as I should and end up making mistakes that have to be picked apart and redone. Like, for example, sewing the pieces of a skirt together so that one panel is facing wrong-side-to -- when you start doing that stuff, it's a sign that it's time to take a break...

Rosie

One Too Many
Yes, What Lizzie and LD said. When I sew somthing I really like, I may make a few of them but a bit varied. I made a dress a few weeks ago that I really liked so, I made a dress of the same type (I don't use patterns really) but changed the neck line and made the skirt portion more flare.

Like Lizzie said, taking a break is essential, I cut my finger open during a sewing marathon, not paying attention.

I usually buy fabric I really like then find outfits to turn them into.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow thats is soo cool.

Massie I saw this dress you posted and was amazed that the pattern was so much like the one I just made.
66_12.jpg

backdressmade.jpg

backdressdetail.jpg

Cept' mine are flowers and yours is Nautical insignia :)

This was the pattern I used.
backdress.jpg

Good gravy, over 4 yards of fabric! Its like a smock, only 4 actual pieces. But dontwear it ona windy day. I think I flashed a couple of people yesterday :eek:

LD

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
:rolleyes: I really like that dress, Lady Day. A very interesting design!

Has anyone else noticed that it is only super windy only on the days you wear a circle skirt? I just love walking out the door at work into a big gust of wind and flashing my hapless coworkers :rolleyes:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
me2.jpg

me.jpg

The lining is a stiff twill that I prolly should not have used and it still needs a good pressin, but it hangs great at the back of the shoulders.

LD

That looks really good on you! I usually don't like the way that they look on the patterns (I perfer the fitted look), but that is nice! :eusa_clap

Rosie

One Too Many
Very nice LD :eusa_clap . I'm sketching your pattern now, think I'll make that too.

As per JitterBugDoll, I wore a circle skirt today and went into a store that was cooling the place off with a giant fan. :eek: I walk in ans swoosh! Luckily I was wearing my petticoat and didn't give everyone too much of a free show. lol

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hullo. I just put up a site with some of the costumes I made... over time I'll try to add scans from some 30's mags and stuff I have. Still just getting up, but it has dress diaries for a few of my dresses :)

http://www.wearinghistory.net/
Oh yeah, and I made a bonnet last week to go with my Regency stuff:
bonnet2.jpg
bonnet1.jpg

I'm LOVING the coats and dress, Lady Day!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Ack, Lauren, your site is amazing! I'm so enamored of all your things.

This is the last thing I made, and it was about a year ago, just before I left for Japan. I haven't really done anything since, but I'm not allowed to buy anything new until I finish the 8 projects I started.
http://www.bettyvalentine.com/photo.php?photoid=5

BV - I have the whitest legs in the whole world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21