Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Very nice LD :eusa_clap . I'm sketching your pattern now, think I'll make that too.

As per JitterBugDoll, I wore a circle skirt today and went into a store that was cooling the place off with a giant fan. :eek: I walk in ans swoosh! Luckily I was wearing my petticoat and didn't give everyone too much of a free show. lol

Thanks for all the compliments ladies. Yeah JBD, circle skirt = windy day. I thought the design was great and different too. I have never seen one like it. it says its an 'easy to sew' dsign, and it is, but there is so much prep on the edges. I just pipped everything. I loves piping.

And Rosie, I can send you the pattern to borrow, thats NO prob! That invite goes to everyone. I never use the pattern, I just trace it out on tracing paper, so if you all do the same thing, you all are more than welcome to borrow my megar pattern collection :)

LD

And Lauren, your site is super charming :)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Has anyone else noticed that it is only super windy only on the days you wear a circle skirt? I just love walking out the door at work into a big gust of wind and flashing my hapless coworkers :rolleyes:

This happens to me on a regular basis; add this to my falling down issues, and I'm a mess.

As for using the same pattern several times in a row, I just completed a pretty 1940s dress, then used the same pattern again and screwed it up really bad. I ended up having to turn the dress into a skirt, but I don't like it at all as a skirt. It kind of makes me sick because I used spectacular 1940s fruit print cotton, which just doesn't cut it as anything but a house dress.

I think I'll go cry now.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
This happens to me on a regular basis; add this to my falling down issues, and I'm a mess.

As for using the same pattern several times in a row, I just completed a pretty 1940s dress, then used the same pattern again and screwed it up really bad. I ended up having to turn the dress into a skirt, but I don't like it at all as a skirt. It kind of makes me sick because I used spectacular 1940s fruit print cotton, which just doesn't cut it as anything but a house dress.

I think I'll go cry now.

The same thing happened to me! I picked out this gorgeous tiki/bali high fabric and just murdered the dress pattern. I felt lucky that I even managed to get a darn skirt out of it.

I want to sew so badly, but I'm in the midst of getting my house in order--painting one week, cleaning out the closet the next, etc. that I find I have little time for sewing projects.

And I'm desperate to make that long housecoat/dressing robe after I lost the perfect one on eBay. Sigh!

I should start a post called, "what do you PLAN to/HOPE to sew this year"... Sigh!

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
And I'm desperate to make that long housecoat/dressing robe after I lost the perfect one on eBay. Sigh!

I should start a post called, "what do you PLAN to/HOPE to sew this year"... Sigh!

lol I think we are all in that boat. Knowing I was going to be home for the summer, I bought something like 20 bundles of fabric, hoping to get dresses, skirts, a whole mini wardrobe made. Summer is winding down, school starts in two weeks :( and I've managed 2 skirts and 5 dresses. So, in addition to all of the things I wanted to get done over the fall, I can probably fill the entire thread myself.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Rosie said:
lol I think we are all in that boat. Knowing I was going to be home for the summer, I bought something like 20 bundles of fabric, hoping to get dresses, skirts, a whole mini wardrobe made. Summer is winding down, school starts in two weeks :( and I've managed 2 skirts and 5 dresses. So, in addition to all of the things I wanted to get done over the fall, I can probably fill the entire thread myself.

Wow Rosie that's still pretty good! I have a ton of patterns and fabrics in the sewing room and my "to do" list grow daily! I don't feel to bad about it-- one of the nice things about sewing vintage clothes is that they aren't "going out of style". I figure, I can make that cute little sundress next summer just as well as this.

Hmmm, time to pull out some Fall suit patterns!

Honey Doll

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha! I bought a bunch of patterns and was supposed to start sewing lessons in the hopes that I would have one thing made for The Queen Mary. I haven't started the lessons yet, so now I have a bunch of patterns and don't know how to sew!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now that its getting colder . . . .

cloakpattern.jpg

cloak.jpg

cloakcollar.jpg

Its strange how 'hard' it is to put this on, meaning adjust it to fit correctly. You almost need help. But its nice and warm. This was also my first attempt at fabric button holes. Eh :eek:

I like it, but I think one is enough. What you yall' call this: caplet (too long) cape, drape?

Later,
LD

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
You must be so fast with your sewing machine, it takes me all day to just cut my pattern out from the tissue:confused:
That Cape/Coat looks just gorgeous Ladyday, I bet it's really soft and warm.:eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really hate working on patterns that take me longer than 3 days. Most of the garments I make are fairly simple.

This was not. I was totally surprised by that too. Man, it was a pain getting the shoulders to fall correctly on me. They left that out of the pattern: "If you get ponches near the shoulder corners, you look stupid". I had to figure that one out on my own :)

The time consuming part for me is seams. I HATE raw seams, so I tend to zig zag, or surge a seam.

:)

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
Very nice cape, LD! (Hey, in my book, it's a cape.) I agree with you, this drapey things need a lot of work for that "effortlessly elegant" effect. Like what women used to go through with their shawls!

I think the buttonholes look great. I've got those coming up on my Vintage Vogue suit, too. I didn't even know what they were when I saw them on the Lilli Ann suit I got on ebay a couple years ago! But now I really like the look. Were they hard, or was it just tough learning the new technique?

What material did you use? What lining, and interlining if any? I'm looking to make a princess-seamed coat sometime in the future, so I'm always trolling for ideas.

Thanks for sharing!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sunny said:
Very nice cape, LD! (Hey, in my book, it's a cape.) I agree with you, this drapey things need a lot of work for that "effortlessly elegant" effect. Like what women used to go through with their shawls!

I think the buttonholes look great. I've got those coming up on my Vintage Vogue suit, too. I didn't even know what they were when I saw them on the Lilli Ann suit I got on ebay a couple years ago! But now I really like the look. Were they hard, or was it just tough learning the new technique?

What material did you use? What lining, and interlining if any? I'm looking to make a princess-seamed coat sometime in the future, so I'm always trolling for ideas.

Thanks for sharing!

Well thanks for the grand comment on my fabric button holes. I like the look as well, but will pay more attention to the instructions on assembly next. :rolleyes:

The fabric for the coat is sort of a fizzy cord harringbone. It has a streach (ick) to it, but it is a lovely look, so I dealt with it. I tend to line my garments with cotton prints (this one is a calico) because I like the breathability. I use fuseable interfacing (love that stuff), and I totally missed my serger with this project.

What is everyone else working on?

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I haven't sewn in about three weeks :eek:. I go back to work next week :( so, I've lined up lots of projects to do until then. If I don't leave town this weekend, that is what I will be doing.

Lined up to be done before school is a polka dot 50s style dress (I have lots of polka dot fabric left).
f9_1_b.jpg
[/IMG]A green silk dress, a three piece set: blouse, straight skirt and circle skirt. If I get the sketch correct, the dress Lady Day made that looked apron-ish, (that was soooo cute) and *maybe* a cape like item with matching skirt
hiwaistskirtandcape.jpg
[/IMG].

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How lovely!
I can envision the young count coming to meet you in secret so you can plan your escape from your arranged marrage to an evil evil man. :rolleyes:

Sorry, its the illustrator in me :)

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well...

Lauren Henline said:
Ooh! I like it!
(I see someone has an overactive imagination like me :D )

The only reason you are marring the evil man is because your father is having financial problems. You are not suposta know that, but you overheard a conversation they had. You were gonna marry the young count (or at least wanted to), who youve know since you were children, but he married three years ago. Sadly his wife died in child birth. You were there to console him and love blossomed yet again :)

I could go on, but I have enough stories in my head. :p

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
And thus I am rescued from a life of woe and despair by my one true love, the Count, who happens to have a large hidden fortune he was rewarded for saving the royal fortune from murderous pirates. He left the money in a silken pouch with a note in scrawling pen for my father as he and I, entrenched in cloaks, flew down the passageway to the sea and his awaiting ship- bound for foreign adventures and a life of love.

This is fun :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points