Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I made this shirt today using a vintage 50's pattern, cowboy fabric, rick rack, and vintage buttons. I guess I'm on a western kick. :)
cowgirlshirt.jpg

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
wow

Vanessa said:
How I spent my weekend. (ruffling endless yards of fabric) It still needs finishing touches, and the bodice isn't fitted yet, but it's probably 80% done. Not very 40's I'm afraid. . .but the 19th C was my first love.

1870sPurpleBallgown002.jpg

Front view

1870sPurpleBallgown010.jpg

Side
wow! this is really good. i've got to get started on mine. you've all inspired me to get started already

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren Henline said:
I made this shirt today using a vintage 50's pattern, cowboy fabric, rick rack, and vintage buttons. I guess I'm on a western kick. :)
cowgirlshirt.jpg

A western kick? Would have never guessed by your new avitar, partner ;)

LD

PS the top is super cute!

Lauren

YAY!! CherryRed, that's exactly what I was going for!! you have no idea how happy that just made me! :D
And many thanks, LadyDay!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Leaping into new sewing territory

I'm going to attempt it for QM 2007! I am trying to decide what color champagne, ruby, emerald? What do you think?
And maybe jeweld shoulder clips?

Vintagevogue2241.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Elaina said:
Emerald green or electric blue.

Elaina

I think that might be just the ticket. I have green eyes, very blonde hair and a lot of other red dresses.

I need to get out to Joann's this weekend. I have a coupon for 50% any regular priced fabric but not sure when it expires.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day, I know this is a little late in coming, but I just love that black and white dress you made. It is the perfect day dress, well done:)
Those Barbie's are so cute!! What well dressed little glamour girls. They certainly do have a better wardrobe than me!

Barbiegirl, I think that dress would look great in an emerald green. Some rhinestone brooches/clips at either shoulder would add that perfect vintage touch. A lot of the new dresses I've seen coming out are showing that 30's and 40's style. Bias cut, liquid satin dresses with just a touch of rhinestones at the shoulder. I have a liquid satin dress from the 30's that I'm planning to wear at the Queen Mary. I was thinking of buying some clips to add to the arm area, just to give it a little more pizazz. But, the sleeves are very intricate, so I'm not sure if they will look right.
ARGH! I was supposed to start my sewing lessons over the summer, but things got so hectic, I had to put them on hold. I wish I could have learned before the QM so I could finally have a perfect day dress. OH Well, there's always next year. You ladies are all so talented, you are really motivating me to finally clear the time in my schedule to learn how to sew. But it will have to wait until after the QM, just too busy at the moment....

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Those are great!! I sew for dolls more than I do people. Making custom outfits for vintage and antique doll's in my so-called "job".
Any pictures you could post CherryRed? I'd love to see someone else's work. I have made a few Gene outfits too but most of those have been as gifts so I don't have any I can show.
Which kind of dolls do you sew for?

Thanks Rosie, Daisy and Maisie!
Maisie I love the Scarlett doll too, I don't have one but have often come close to buying the version in the green and white toile-type fabric.

Elaina

One Too Many
Heads up gals...

You guys know I'm making the pants for this:

50.jpg

I finished them today. They suck :cry: Now in seriousness, they look cute, like they're supposed to, but there is something seriously wrong. I seldom mess up a garment this bad. First off, there is no wearing ease. They're skintight, okay. Fine. Waist fits like a dream, legs fit good. This is where the good ends.

I either got fatter in the last week or I need to wait another week and do a pregnancy test. Either way the tummy is too tight, they can't be worn with undies, else the zip doesn't zip up. I fitted the pattern before I started, and the end result didn't work. Also huge problem was the effect in the crotch. For some reason this pattern left a truly undesirable effect. So unlike most Simplicity patterns, these just were a "uh okay". If you make them, just keep in mind you may want to do some adjusting, and more then what I did. The pants and the crotch issue seems to be pretty common when I asked around to some sewing friends, they've all mentioned that they needed to be about 2 sizes larger everywhere but the waist, and it's a design problem (or so it seems).

I'll try to dig out the bad camera I do have and get some pictures. Due to modesty here, I won't be in them.

Lauren

Oh, bummer!!! That pattern looks so cute. I'm sorry that they screwed up the pattern and that you went to all the trouble of making them! :(

Rosie

One Too Many
Elaina, can you add a small piece to the sides? Like an upside down V? It shouldn't be so noticeable. I've taken a piece out of capris to make them more pencil-y I'm thinking doing the opposite would be okay.

I think I'm going to get this pattern. (It comes in plus size so, yes, I'm going to sew from pattern.) I want that jacket. Do you ladies think I could lengthen it without a problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo