Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Frl. Wunder

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
Frl. Wunder your picture is great. I love your dress but the hat is perfect! Is it vintage or did you make it?

Thank you so much!! I made the hat myself using a pattern from Vintage Pattern Lending Library. It is made of silk satin and buckram, quite simple to do.

Jovan

Suspended
Kim_B said:
Thanks, guy and gals :)

:eek:fftopic: Well, kind of :) I know some people are vintage-purists, and I totally respect that. As of late it seems like more and more members here are putting the emphasis on how vintage others are as opposed to how much we enjoy the vintage items we are able to incorporate into our lives. It's the lack of mutual respect for those of us who chose to enjoy both the wonders of the modern world and those of the vintage world that I'm getting a little fed up with.

At any rate, thanks for the comments!
Amen, it's gotten rather closed minded sometimes. Whenever styles are brought back that we like from certain periods, I've noticed a tendency to balk at it because it isn't done perfectly. Not very constructive if we want to be bring back good style. One thing at a time, I say.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
How about we go back to discussing stuff we made? The other point is already made and this thread is not gonna go into a hash and rehash over that...start your own obs bar thread if you want Jovan ;)

I made my first -wearable- in public garment last weekend!

Its just a basic caftan sort of shirt...hmmm maybe I will go snap a pic and add it in here...ok...took pictures..which are horrid...

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

Elaina

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
Thanks, guy and gals :)

:eek:fftopic: Well, kind of :) I know some people are vintage-purists, and I totally respect that. As of late it seems like more and more members here are putting the emphasis on how vintage others are as opposed to how much we enjoy the vintage items we are able to incorporate into our lives. It's the lack of mutual respect for those of us who chose to enjoy both the wonders of the modern world and those of the vintage world that I'm getting a little fed up with.

At any rate, thanks for the comments!

This is why I've vut way back on my visits to the lounge, but sorry you're feeling this way.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
How about we go back to discussing stuff we made? The other point is already made and this thread is not gonna go into a hash and rehash over that...start your own obs bar thread if you want Jovan ;)

Its just a basic caftan sort of shirt...hmmm maybe I will go snap a pic and add it in here...ok...took pictures..which are horrid...

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

Great fabric! It looks good on you too. :eusa_clap

I don't care too much about vintage purity-I like to be as vintage as I can for MYSELF-but that's a standard I hold only for myself. To each their own. Heck, most of my everyday clothes are repros anyway-that way I can dance and sweat in them and not worry too much about it. It is HARD to be all vintage in Phoenix in the summer!

ANYWAY-I love looking at what folks make, be it clothing, art or accessories. Gives me ideas and inspires me! ;)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

That's a mighty cute top, Miss N! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks...it is not even close to perfectly done...but I can leave the house in it!

Considering I have 2-4 failed dresses that I cant actually wear....its something.

It was made to -vaguely- mimic the longer line of 20's stuff....while having enough form fitting-ness to not make me look like a giant sausage...which is what 20's stuff does ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie, that's a fab blouse! Love the pattern!! :eek:fftopic: Also love your home.. great built in nooks and gorgeous floor. Lucky!

I don't recall any recent threads arguing vintageness... musta missed em! Any time I ask I'm just being nosey... such as if someone posts a pic of a dress I just wanna know the details.

Great baubbles Kim. I'm liking the shell look this season!
Nikki

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
Miss Neecerie, that's a fab blouse! Love the pattern!! :eek:fftopic: Also love your home.. great built in nooks and gorgeous floor. Lucky!

I don't recall any recent threads arguing vintageness... musta missed em! Any time I ask I'm just being nosey... such as if someone posts a pic of a dress I just wanna know the details.

Great baubbles Kim. I'm liking the shell look this season!
Nikki

Equally off topic.... The picture captures the current home project...which for a renter is sheer insanity....the nooks behind me....were all white when I moved in.....paint stripping in a rental is fun and games..but ill advised....hahaha..hoping the result will make me happy enough to not tear hair out.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Oh my! You are adventurous! I think that's the worst job of all.. stripping paint! :eusa_doh:
Nikki
Miss Neecerie said:
Equally off topic.... The picture captures the current home project...which for a renter is sheer insanity....the nooks behind me....were all white when I moved in.....paint stripping in a rental is fun and games..but ill advised....hahaha..hoping the result will make me happy enough to not tear hair out.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

SO fabulous!!!! I love the neck and tie accents. Well done! :eusa_clap

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, ya'll are so talented. Has anyone else been tempted by the maxi dress. As a women with somewhat heavy legs who is always banging them into things, I'm happy for a trend that emphasizes length. I never thought I would be applauding a 70s trend, but I really like the maxi dress. I started working on one last night and tried to rush to complete it for work today.

It didn't work, somehow I sewed one side of the skirt backward so the hem (what that called?), sticks out. It's also made from a lightweight beautiful aqua jersey and looks a little formal for daywear. It comes together pretty quickly and desipte the skirt issues looks halfway decent on me, so I'm making it out of this really soft striped cotton. Here's the easy pattern. I'm also really surprised that it only uses 4 yards of material, sweetness.
http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3803

Edit, made the dress and love it, but I'm still not all about the gathers, is there anyway to convert a gathered skirt to a straight across one? I don't particularly need more bulk at my waist doggonit. Also, I can't do gathers very well, this time was better than my other attempts, but its still really uneven in places.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Oh bother, I've decided to give the 3803 dress a rest for a few days since I've made 2 in 2 days. Great pattern, but I really like another one.
This is my inspiration dress http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2942054...&searchtype=&pbo=2384392&P=1' target='_blank'
I love everything about it except the pricetag.

Now, I have http://www.butterick.com/item/B4985.htm?tab=tops&page=1' target='_blank' and think view A would look very like my inspiration. Those flutter sleeves are so cute. I would like to use a waistband from one of my other patterns for that detail. Now I'm not certain what to do for the skirt. I have many different skirt patterns, including a circle skirt, a line, gored, pleated, and godeted? Anyway lots of patterns. I have rather large hips so I usually like to emphasize my waist and upper body.

I'm not sure I really want to bother with pleats even though my inspiration dress has them. Reight now I'm leaning toward a-line, but I love swirly circle skirts, even if they do add bulk to my hips. Hmmm, any ideas/suggestions?

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
BettyValentine said:
^_^ Thanks guys! I think next I'm going to try making something to wear every day. i wore that to a big anime convention in California. It was fun.

BV - sometimes dresses up like cartoon characters

Fantastic! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/images/smilies/offtopic.gif
:eek:fftopic: Might i inquire as to which anime this character is from? i'm a simi-rabid fan. i'd go to any cons i could, given the opportunity.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I made something out of something. I guess that counts! I took one of those dresses always described as 80s does 40s on Ebay in blue and white seersucker and cut the top off of the skirt. Then I cut a slit up the front of the skirt and shortened it then hemmed everything. Had to shorten the sleeves too. I paired both pieces with shorts and it looks like a cute 40’s playsuit! I’ll try to take a picture of it. I’m so happy it actually worked out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24