Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

show us your lippy

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
anabolina said:
Aw, I like your hair imoldfashioned, but I also like the lipstick, a nice, less bright red.

Oh, you're sweet Anabolina, thanks! I've made up my mind to cut it so now I just want the deed done, you know? I can't wait for Spring too--some natural light would be helpful for photographic purposes--it's pitch dark when I get home now.

It is a nice "everyday" color--not too bright but bright enough to show that you are wearing lipstick. It isn't in the least a wine color, so I'm not sure what they were thinking when they named this shade.

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
After reading this thread I ordered me some MAC lipsticks - Mattene Classic Dame and 'normal' Russian Red. I love them both, but I wear red every day, so they don't freak me out at all (I have rather thin lips). I also ordered and received 'Fanplastico' which was more goopy than I thought it would be.

Note: I don't have a MAC outlet handy, so I have to order over the internet and hope I like it.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
melbournian said:
Audrey, I love the look of that Mac Ruby Woo colour.

The one I'm wearing in my avatar is Chanel 14 Passion. It's a slightly bluish red. Today's the first day I've worn it properly all day (the other times I've been putting a dab on over lip balm for a sheer colour) and it's pretty good. My lips are drying out a bit but they may be because I'm wearing lipliner underneath (filled in). It feels a bit weird wearing red - I feel like I have really big lips so am a bit self conscious about it but it's kind of fun to wear it during the day :)

You look adorable in your avatar! The red looks perfectly natural on you and I love your hair :)

melbournian

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
Recently I've been wearing an old favorite, Revlon's Wine with Everything, quite alot.

By sheer coincidence, I found a tube of Revlon Wine With Everything on my mum's bathroom counter this evening, so gave it a try, and it is a really nice colour. I'm going to wear it tomorrow :D

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
my attempt to make a 'vintage' face - Chanel lipliner, MAC Russian Red lipstick wit a tiny bit of Russian Red lipgloss on top. I would really appriciate advice on how to make my face better and I know this is off topic, but advice for hairstyles would be awesome too! As you can see I got bangs that reach my eyebrows, I have them sideswept here.. my hair is very thick, slightly in layers and just above my shoulderblades.

I cannot take a decent pic of myself, this took many, many attempts and I am not really happy, but it was the best of the worst..

without flash, it looked wierd with..

DSC_0687.jpg

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Darhling, you are a very beautiful woman!
Love your bangs! But I think a warmer shade of red would look better as a lippie!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
my attempt to make a 'vintage' face - Chanel lipliner, MAC Russian Red lipstick wit a tiny bit of Russian Red lipgloss on top. I would really appriciate advice on how to make my face better and I know this is off topic, but advice for hairstyles would be awesome too! As you can see I got bangs that reach my eyebrows, I have them sideswept here.. my hair is very thick, slightly in layers and just above my shoulderblades.

I cannot take a decent pic of myself, this took many, many attempts and I am not really happy, but it was the best of the worst..

without flash, it looked wierd with..

DSC_0687.jpg
I love your makeup Darhling, that red really goes with your dress and you eyeliner is applied very nicely too. Yeah, no help here, but I do think you look great.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
After looking at all of your lip color, I'm inspired again!

My mother always wanted me to wear lipstick, but whenever I put it on, I felt like I looked like a clown. I have avoided lipstick at all costs since then, but after coming to the Lounge, I'm thinking of buying some and trying it out again.

Any suggestions?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
AmateisGal said:
After looking at all of your lip color, I'm inspired again!

My mother always wanted me to wear lipstick, but whenever I put it on, I felt like I looked like a clown. I have avoided lipstick at all costs since then, but after coming to the Lounge, I'm thinking of buying some and trying it out again.

Any suggestions?
Maybe you could post a picture of yourself so we can get an idea of your coloring? If you're not used to lipstick you might want to start with something semi sheer (not necessarily glossy though). There are a number of long lasting lipsticks out there that are more of a stain with a gloss on top that you reapply. Having a stain might help because you wouldn't have to worry about the color fading too quickly.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Audrey Horne said:
Maybe you could post a picture of yourself so we can get an idea of your coloring? If you're not used to lipstick you might want to start with something semi sheer (not necessarily glossy though). There are a number of long lasting lipsticks out there that are more of a stain with a gloss on top that you reapply. Having a stain might help because you wouldn't have to worry about the color fading too quickly.

Ok, here I am. No make-up and messy hair! (sorry the photo isn't the clearest, either! :)

resized.jpg

retromom147

One of the Regulars
AmetisGal,
I would try benefit's lip stain first. I had some hard times finding a good red too, but all the effort is worth it in the long run. Try going to a makeup counter at your local Sephora or makeup counter andtrying those colors on first. if you like it, draw a line of the color on a business card (P.S. put the card in a plastic bag or your purse will be sorry, mine was) and take the card to the drug store and buy a corresponding color for less money. A coordinating lip pencil makes all the difference in the world too. Good luck!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Benefit's lip stain is called Benetint, it's pretty pricey ($28) so you would definitely want to try it first. The bottle actually lasts quite awhile though and it gives a nice natural rose color. You can also use it as blush. You can get it/try it out at Sephora. I haven't tried out any drugstore lip stains but I'm sure they'd work well too.

As far as lipstick, going from no lipstick to bright red lipstick might be a bit of a shock at first, but if you like it, stick with it and it will feel more natural over time. I like the suggestion of the previous poster to find high end shades and go look for more affordable ones. You can also purchase from places that allow returns if you don't like the color (I think CVS and Walgreens allow these returns). Good luck and keep us posted :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the pointers, gals! Hubby and I are going out Saturday night, so I'll definitely need to go shopping for some lipstick before then. :)

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies, question-
will the woman at the MAC counter help you with a red color that is best for you, or just sell you whatever?? I'm terrible with finding the right color, so I just don't wear it, and I feel like I'm missing out.:(

NewlyVintage

New in Town
ohairas said:
What great lips y'all have! Funny, I was meaning to bring up a thread something like this. I am having a heck of a time trying to get softer, rounder, 40's looking lips. Mine are SO pointed and every time I try, I feel I look like a clown. Or one side looks good, so I try to do the other and it never comes out even.. so back and forth I go until it looks like I got botox. :eusa_doh:

Do they make stencils for lips like they do for brows? [huh]

Here's a pic of me wearing Certainly Red by Revlon, tho it's quite flashed out! I just took off my makeup so I can't take a new pic right now..
Nikki
P1010047.jpg

I love this style,

Would you mind posting/messaging me instructions? Or if you have a photo from the back :)

Thanks!

Antje

One Too Many
2crrjhe.jpg

This is my favorite color lipstick it's from yves rocher it is carmin red
and it is nature cosmetic wich is not tested on animals

sorry for the size of the photo

Blondie

Practically Family
Antje said:
2crrjhe.jpg

This is my favorite color lipstick it's from yves rocher it is carmin red
and it is nature cosmetic wich is not tested on animals

sorry for the size of the photo
Great red !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nyx

One of the Regulars
waingirl said:
Hi ladies, question-
will the woman at the MAC counter help you with a red color that is best for you, or just sell you whatever?? I'm terrible with finding the right color, so I just don't wear it, and I feel like I'm missing out.:(

It honestly depends on the saleswoman. I usually take things into my own hands and try them all on with a friend there to give me the thumbs up or thumbs down. That's how i found my Russian Red :) One thing about MAC is that they supply makeup remover and tissues so you can fully take off the color without rubbing. If you rub, your lips will swell and the area around your mouth will be red, which will affect how the next lipstick looks on you.

So my advice, forget the saleslady and take an honest friend with good taste.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Hi ladies, question-
will the woman at the MAC counter help you with a red color that is best for you, or just sell you whatever?? I'm terrible with finding the right color, so I just don't wear it, and I feel like I'm missing out.

I've had such good luck with the MAC counter. I call ahead and schedule an appt. at a quiet time for them (not saturday prior to the wedding hour!). Then that person spends 30 mins. to an hour with me doing a whole look. I say directly I am going for a vintage look, have brought in photos and let them go to town. I am very picky about lipstick and have had them change it out numerous times. The catch is that they will do this if you purchase about $40 worth of product. Which in reality is pretty easy to do, couple of lipsticks and an eyeshadow and you are there. Its a fun way to spend a morning. I've done this 3 times now and have left looking stunning or simply like a completely different person. They looked way beyond what I thought of trying. Ruby Woo on me was frightening but Russian red is a dream. Who knew?!

I've also gone in with the intent of only purchasing a new lipstick and I went thru about 6 before we figured out a good shade. I find that if I compliment them on their look - they will spend the time with me on trying out some new things. A little bit of sugar...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner