Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Signs of the Decline of Civilization

patrick1987 said:
See, I don't like talking about my paid and volunteer work whether I'm online or in person. I'm sure most of the Lounge members do good works with out any one else knowing about it. There, now you've made me say it.

Exactly the point of charity and good works my friend. You do them anonymously. As my grandmother used to say: anything less is considered advertising. :rolleyes: :D

CassD

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
It's very easy peasy to sit around here complaining, and much harder to help. And writing it off as 'someone elses job' is a cop out...if you don't want to help make it better, then don't complain that it isn't better yet.

I think there are more ways of going about trying to change things than donating money to charities, though that is important. I would hope those of us who have children in our lives, whether they be our own or the children of family members and friends, make a constant effort to educate them on problems and how they can help to make problems in the world better, even if they are just young kids. Educating children and helping them to see the world in new and interesting ways is what helps to improve life in the future. It's a slow method, but it does work. Giving money, although important, is a stop-gap. Sorry, I'm one of those people that thinks getting a propper education and making sure that a propper education is available to everyone could actually solve a lot of problems. :eek:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
CassD said:
Sorry, I'm one of those people that thinks getting a propper education and making sure that a propper education is available to everyone could actually solve a lot of problems. :eek:

And I agree completely. But again, education for -all- takes money. Or people giving time to educate and help those -beyond- our house walls and family/friend circles.

And sadly, if you confine the -educating- to people you already know, etc.....then our children will be posting someday about how their -peers- are 'tacky and horrid and don't know anything'....because it will just all repeat a generation...with a subset of well educated people bemoaning the -rest- of society and its lacks.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I basically agree with you, although there will be disagreements on what constitutes "proper" --- and giving money doesn't usually hurt.

CassD said:
I think there are more ways of going about trying to change things than donating money to charities, though that is important. I would hope those of us who have children in our lives, whether they be our own or the children of family members and friends, make a constant effort to educate them on problems and how they can help to make problems in the world better, even if they are just young kids. Educating children and helping them to see the world in new and interesting ways is what helps to improve life in the future. It's a slow method, but it does work. Giving money, although important, is a stop-gap. Sorry, I'm one of those people that thinks getting a propper education and making sure that a propper education is available to everyone could actually solve a lot of problems. :eek:

Doran said:
I basically agree with you, although there will be disagreements on what constitutes "proper" --- and giving money doesn't usually hurt.

As long as its your money I have no problem with it. :p ;)
Instead of proper, substitute moral. I tend to agree with Teddy Roosevelt's educated monster quote when it comes to education without morals or conscience.
Changing the world one person at a time works for me. All, of which, begins at home.

CassD

One of the Regulars
Jamespowers: I suppose when I think of a proper education, I think of morals as well, though that is a sticky subject since to some people an act may be immoral where it might acceptable to others (and I don't mean things like genocide or human mutilation but some of the finer distinctions).

I also believe that leading by example is important. If I'm taking the time to educate those near and dear to me, their example will reach their friends, and hopefully mine will reach those around me, though I admit that I'm not that great of a teacher, and I'm nowhere near perfect myself. You can't force people to change, but offering them an example can sometimes lead them to find ways to improve themselves.

I have nothing against giving money. I do think it's good, but it won't solve the problems of the world, and if I could touch at least one person's life and give him or her the desire to improve him or her self, than I would know that I had done a great deed. It sounds corny, I know, but it is how I honestly feel. Changing even one person for the better is a big step in the right direction. I suppose I think a bit small.

CassD said:
I have nothing against giving money. I do think it's good, but it won't solve the problems of the world, and if I could touch at least one person's life and give him or her the desire to improve him or her self, than I would know that I had done a great deed. It sounds corny, I know, but it is how I honestly feel. Changing even one person for the better is a big step in the right direction. I suppose I think a bit small.

That and it doesn't cost you a single cent to do any of that but it is worth more than money. :D

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Its the most important thing you can do and have a total direct impact upon. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Oh and say child. I know you ain't raising a goat.;) :p

Actually, my wife's parents in Poland raise goats! And llamas. And horses. They have a big farm. I try to influence them positively as well.

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
lol lol lol lol lol Touche. Farm Animals of the World unite! :p

Unfortunately there has been a Chinatown situation in the goat herd. The father of one of the goats is also its grandfather. Needless to say, this is NOT due to my influence ( imagine emoticon barfing here).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy