Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snowflake & Star Vent Hole Template

Mighty44

One Too Many
Michael told me he had a customer who was asking for venting. I’m always impressed when someone is willing to take risks and do things they haven’t tried before.
I’m sure it will also be an enjoyable challenge for him and hopefully good for business. I’m sure at least a handful of loungers might be interested in a vented Gannon.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
After getting my first vented crown hat from @ChicagoWayVito I’ve become smitten. The airflow really makes a difference. I have a couple others in the works. Getting the size of the pattern and the size of the holes right is critica (Kevin nailed mine).

Here’s a different hatter trying to work it out on a practice felt:

View attachment 482670

What do you think? Is the pattern too large? Are the holes too large? I sure wouldn’t want either any larger.
I like the pattern, it is a nice vintage pattern. To my eye though it is too large and is unbalanced in size to crown ratio. My opinion is smaller diameter and then smaller vent holes too.

For the holes I would punch 1.5mm holes only. Just my opinion.

Also, I hope they didn't sacrifice a block and punch the holes while still blocked up.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I think the pattern can be quite large as long as the holes are small. These seem too large to me. Here's one I posted recently.

View attachment 482683 View attachment 482684
This is quite nice and has a bit of optical illusion to it in the first picture.
Did you put a light under the hat to show the holes?

For that singular large hole, I would punch that at 2.5mm or maybe 3.0mm and the rest would be 1.5mm

I may have to make a pattern of this design.

I like the pattern, it is a nice vintage pattern. To my eye though it is too large and is unbalanced in size to crown ratio. My opinion is smaller diameter and then smaller vent holes too.

Also, I hope they didn't sacrifice a block and punch the holes while still blocked up.

Thanks, Kevin. It’s Michael Gannon and he is trying hard to work out the details. He agreed that the holes are too large and he ordered a smaller punch. The pattern is only 2 ¼ by 2 ¼ inches, but the practice felt is on a small block and looks bigger than it is.

Your venting is perfect. I love that hat more than just about any other fedora I own. It’s a special hat.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I hope I can contribute to the discussion by offering a reference pic of a snowflake on a Stetson Playboy crown.

i-LNW32LK-M.jpg

i-Lj2sRnP-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

I have tried multiple items to act as a pad between the punch, felt and block. Yes, I have a block that needed repair until I found a suitable pad material! Live and (hopefully) learn.

This is quite nice and has a bit of optical illusion to it in the first picture.
Did you put a light under the hat to show the holes?

For that singular large hole, I would punch that at 2.5mm or maybe 3.0mm and the rest would be 1.5mm

I may have to make a pattern of this design.
I did put a light under it, yes. The vents are difficult to see otherwise, especially on black hats.

Here are pics of a VS fedora vents. It was inspired by the Stetson Wanderer. The snowflake pattern is well done, IMO.

i-Kpjzz9M-M.jpg

i-bm2ks5P-M.jpg

Here are pics of a diamond vent on a Stetson Bantam.

i-Sz6PBDN-M.jpg

i-KqBZQcC-M.jpg

Hope this assists the conversation.

Eric -

Very helpful indeed. The scale is also useful.

I’m particularly taken by the diamond pattern on the Bantam. The slightly larger holes on the corners are a great little touch.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Very helpful indeed. The scale is also useful.

I’m particularly taken by the diamond pattern on the Bantam. The slightly larger holes on the corners are a great little touch.

I wonder if it is used for "centering" the die when punching. Like a guide.

Curiousity has me wondering if other vent holed hats I have are similar scaled or sized. I will keep my eyes and camera peeled.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I have tried multiple items to act as a pad between the punch, felt and block. Yes, I have a block that needed repair until I found a suitable pad material! Live and (hopefully) learn.
I don't use the block when punching the holes at all (I invested too much money in blocks to do that :))
I created my own "jig" that allows me to punch in both crown and sides of the hat. I think I post pictues of my rig several years ago and may be on this thread.

I basically use 1 inch plastic (HDPE) that you would find in a plastic cutting board as my backing material. That little piece of plastic is solid and takes all the abuse of the punch.

I don't use the block when punching the holes at all (I invested too much money in blocks to do that :))
I created my own "jig" that allows me to punch in both crown and sides of the hat. I think I post pictues of my rig several years ago and may be on this thread.

I basically use 1 inch plastic (HDPE) that you would find in a plastic cutting board as my backing material. That little piece of plastic is solid and takes all the abuse of the punch.
I initially used very thick leather but it wasn't thick enough and left some minor indentations in the wood. I now have a piece of metal moulded to the arc of the block and tthat provides the needed buffer.

Yes, I was most impressed with your jig. Interestingly I spent some hours making my templates for the pattern and have only ever made one vented hat for a client. Plus the one I made as a test. I would have thought there was a larger market for the venting.....if so I have yet to tap it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui