Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stinky Vacation

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I currently get 3 weeks, plus 2 weeks at Christmas.

At 10 years, I get 4 weeks + 2 at Christmas
15 years = 5 weeks + the 2 at Christmas
20 years = 6 weeks + the 2 at Christmas

We max out at 6 weeks, but I'm faculty, so I can apply for and take sabbaticals if I have some research to do.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Yeah, I can't complain. Working for a non-profit, we usually get bank holidays, and after 9 years (I think I get some more next year) I get 15 days of vacation, 1 floating holiday, and 2 personal days=18 days.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I get three weeks of vacation per year---on paper. But the truth is I can't take anywhere near that much time. I'm in court two weeks every month except December. At the end of each term, I have to immediately begin preparing for the next month's session. No matter how much I beg them to do otherwise, our local criminals insist on breaking the law and are seemingly mindless of my desire to take a little time off.[huh]

Geoff

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have been at my job 1 year (but in the industry for close to 8) and I have 3 weeks of paid vacation plus 5 sick/personal days.

I have good negotiation skills ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mr. 'H' said:
I have been amazed at how little vacation time people in the States have. I am self employed now so I kind of take time off as I go but when I worked for a company I had 4 weeks holidays (5 weeks when I got married!).

I have a college friend who is an engineer who married an American doctor whom he met here at Trinity College. He is now living in PA and the lack of vacation time is the one big cultural shock that I think he will have.

Is it really the norm to only have 10 days?

That means a week off to vacation and 5 one-off days for the entire year.

:eek: Pretty harsh, in my view....

In my radio days I was entitled to 10 days a year -- but if and only if I could find someone to fill in for me the week I was gone. I was also allowed to take them only in the last week of June and the last week of December, being as those were the slowest news weeks of the year, and they didnt want to risk me being gone if some story broke. Occasionally this would happen even when I was supposedly off, and I'd be called back in to take charge of the coverage. I finally learned never to answer my phone during "vacation" weeks.

At the theatre, I'm a clock-punching hourly employee, so if I take time off I don't get paid. I'm thinking of having a cot installed in the projection room so I can just live there.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paid time off? You lucky dog.

Not for me - as a part-time employee of a small non-profit... no sick leave or health care either.

You should be grateful that you get to take any time off without it being a financial tragedy.

Next time, book a vacation somewhere! Or ask to have it around the time of the QM!

I'm sorry, I just can't feel very sympathetic in this case... just envious.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I've been at my job for nine year and have three weeks vacation, six sick days (at the end of June, I get paid for any I don't take) and three floaters. Next October will be ten years, at which time I'll get an additional week vacation.

Lee

matei

One Too Many
It always amazes me when I hear people say that they don't use all their holiday time... They must like to work!

I've heard people in the US say things like "even if I did have a few extra weeks, I would give the time back to my employer" or "I haven't taken a vacation in X years". Crazy talk!

My last job in the US before we moved gave me 10 days, which couldn't be taken all at once. I think I had 2 or 3 "sick days" as well.

After 8 months, I finally needed to take a day off. One day. They gave me a hard time about it. [huh]

Here in the UK my current job started with 30 days, and on top of that I get all the bank holidays as well. I can also "work from home", a euphemism for sitting around the house doing nothing. It isn't bad. I'm sure that there are other that get way more days, like teachers, civil servants and Scandinavians, but I'm happy with it.

We also get unlimited sick days... If you're going to be out for a while, you've got to bring in a note from the doctor, but that is to be expected.

In Ireland it was a bit more relaxed, but here it London you actually have to pay for the doctor's note (at least in my experience).

A friend across the water told me something about "casual overtime" being expected at a lot of places now, and also that long holidays are discouraged... He was saying that you're now expected to take long weekends instead - yet be on call or work remotely. Is that prevalent nowadays?

wedding belle

Familiar Face
I think it is a massive cultural difference

Here in the UK much of the work I do for organisations looks at reducing staff workload and making sure people do take their holidays! It is seen as a long term investment in staff, the aim being to reduce illness and stress related problems.

My husband's ex is American, and it shocked me when he first told me about working life in the States. I think the image that we have here is a long way off the 2-job, no benefits and little holiday actuality! Take those holidays when you can and enjoy them, you need them!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
matei said:
I've heard people in the US say things like "even if I did have a few extra weeks, I would give the time back to my employer" or "I haven't taken a vacation in X years". Crazy talk!

I too am amazed at this when I hear it. I really do think it's a cultural thing and that working like this doesn't necessarily make for better productivity (depending on the type of job).

There are plenty of people who work smart and are very productive and who take planty of time off.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If I took any more of the time off to putter around the house, my wife would probably divorce me. I find I am in the way!

No necktie and hit-or-miss shaving since last Friday... Slacker!

Marty M.

Vendor
Time off?????

What vacation? I have a lack of employees now, so I'm pretty much land locked. I do get to New York, Chicago, Vegas and San Fran.for business occasionally.
Marty Mathis

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For the Queen Mary event, I took three vacation days. Those were the first paid vacation days I've taken since 1989, if you don't count unemployment. ;)

My problem now is, I'm one of only three guys at my company who can do my job. Taking a week or two off would impose an undue hardship on the other two guys.

Feraud

Bartender
matei said:
A friend across the water told me something about "casual overtime" being expected at a lot of places now, and also that long holidays are discouraged... He was saying that you're now expected to take long weekends instead - yet be on call or work remotely. Is that prevalent nowadays?
Not sure how prevalent it is but the nature of work in NYC has changed in the last few years.
With the ubiquitious electronic devices (I call them dog collars) many workers are putting in much more time to a job than they are compensated for.
Working while on a commute, on vacation, sick days, and even while using the men's room is a growing trend among U.S. workers.
I shun this silly practice and value my time off from work to spend with family and friends.

matei

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Not sure how prevalent it is but the nature of work in NYC has changed in the last few years.
With the ubiquitious electronic devices (I call them dog collars) many workers are putting in much more time to a job than they are compensated for.
Working while on a commute, on vacation, sick days, and even while using the men's room is a growing trend among U.S. workers.
I shun this silly practice and value my time off from work to spend with family and friends.

Good on ya Feraud. I wish other people would follow suit. Life is too short to be tethered to the desk. Get out there and live! Spend time with your family, loved ones and friends. We only live once.

Note that I'm referring to your average worker. I know that there are people with super-duper-important-critical jobs who can't afford to just go off the radar. However, even those people have days off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner