Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing Aero horsehide jacket--hanger or flat?

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering what the best way to store my horsehide Aero would be--should I keep it flat, or should I hand it from a thick wide-shouldered wooden hanger?

Any advice would be appreciated!

If it's new, I've heard you should throw it on the floor of the closet amongst the shoes...
Then after it's "beaten up" a bit you are allowed to move it under the bed.
The danger of hangers is that they stretch the shoulder seams and leave marks.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Use a hanger from a suit jacket. I only bother laying them flat if I've been caught in a rainstorm.

Dav

One Too Many
If I'm likely to be wearing a particular jacket or two they just get thrown onto a chair, I live alone so that's not a problem. If not wearing for a while, I put on a wooden hanger in the closet, can't say I've noticed any problems with the shoulders, maybe I haven't had them long enough yet!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't have horse hide yet, but all my leather jackets are on thick wide-shouldered wooden hangers and are fine.
If for some reason the jacket gets wet, i leave it to dry somewhere before hanging.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I'm likely to be wearing a particular jacket or two they just get thrown onto a chair, I live alone so that's not a problem. If not wearing for a while, I put on a wooden hanger in the closet, can't say I've noticed any problems with the shoulders, maybe I haven't had them long enough yet!

+1 I tend to use large, solidly-made mahogany hangers, as close to the ones Aero use that I can find.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ideally, the hanger is going to be the exact same width as the shoulders. If they're shorter, you will notice dimples on the shoulders (at the hanger tips) over time. It's that whole "gravity" thingy. Look at vintage pieces and you'll see this.

Aeros are especially prone to this seeing as they're so damn heavy

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Lying down, hanging up, it's all the same. Hangers should be wide enough to go right into the shoulder seam to prevent distortion. I prefer to have my best ones lying down in a big bottom drawer. Not carefully arranged, just loosely laid out.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Lying flat for me. I don't own so many jackets that there's a space issue and there's no sense in risking unecessary stretching.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I set mine where they are laid flat, either on a closet shelf or in a box of some sort. I put them on hangers only temporarily, but when jacket-wearing weather is done, I make sure they are stored flat for the next six months.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There are at least 2 threads on storage of leather jackets here already. Basically it much doesn't matter how you store them as long as they stay ventilated and your coat hanger (if you use one) isn't thin so it distorts the leather.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Visiting my beloved Aunt over Christmas and I was horrified to discover at the end of the evening that she had hung my equally beloved Schott 740N on a hook! Not even by the loop, she actually just threw the back of the jacket over a pointy hook! I bit my tounge there, let me tell you. There was a little mark on the leather when I took it off but thankfully it disappeared right away.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple on hangers but the really big, heavy stuff like sheepskins and leather coats lie on the floor of a wardrobe. And anything the weight of FQHH I use the cupboard floor as well.

Peacoat

Bartender
Just throw the leather jackets on the closet floor; takes less space that way. Save the big fat wooden hangers for the peacoats. If you have an extra hanger, then you can put the leather jacket on it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I use the fat wooden hangers for all my coats of any value. My closet isn't set up for laying a FQHH jacket on the floor but probably would otherwise.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
I hang mine. But that weight/stretching issue occurred to me as well. Luckily I had a great wide-ended hanger that goes beyond the shoulder seam of my jacket, so I'm not worried about any stretching at all.

I guess just find a hanger that fits your jacket. Check out www.thehangerproject.com

Peacoat

Bartender
I hang mine. But that weight/stretching issue occurred to me as well. Luckily I had a great wide-ended hanger that goes beyond the shoulder seam of my jacket, so I'm not worried about any stretching at all.

I guess just find a hanger that fits your jacket. Check out www.thehangerproject.com

Yes, this is type of hanger that will work. I have about 20 of these.

There is another thread a year or so back that tells how to construct wide hangers that work as well or better than the manufactured ones.

IXL

One Too Many
I buy six additional hangers every other month or so from thehangerproject.com. All my good stuff is slowly moving to these. For the really heavy stuff, though, like a B-3, I buy some of the HUGE hangers offered by Aerostitch. The way they are designed they will extend into the sleeves a bit, but at such an angle that they won't poke anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21