Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit time period

Lion

New in Town
You can include the 60s through today as well. Its true that fedoras were much more common in the 20s - 50s, but they never actualy went away. They just became much less fashionable. Its not as if we were talking about Bascinets or Salades.

All that to say that Wildroot is right and you should be a bit more specific.

Leo

shamus

Suspended
I guess it all depends on what you consider a fedora.

Merriam Websters definition is:
a low soft felt hat with the crown creased lengthwise

American Heritage definition is:
A soft felt hat with a fairly low crown creased lengthwise and a brim that can be turned up or down

While the cambridge is
a man's hat, like a trilby but with a wider brim
(triby): a man's hat made of felt (= thick firm cloth), with a deep fold along its top

So Root would agree with the Cambridge, but not with other others as they don't talk about brim size and 60's hats were generally on the smaller size. But does a 30's hat with a tall crown, make it not a fedora because it doesn't have a low crown?

But all say it has a crase lengthwise. This would make the Homberg a fedora for sure, but what about hats without a lenthwise crease?

Does my Open Road change from being a fedora as it had a lenghtwise crease and I changed it?

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's how I feel about it because I'm a vintage snob:p 60's anything in my book is... just, plane, well, ich. That's just me.

Back on track, we were talking about what kind of suits were worn with Fedoras I think, haven't heard from the thread's father but, we shall wait it out.

=WR=

masterfrogg said:
im looking for a suit to go with a fedora and im looking on Ebay and im not sure exactly what time period to search for
Does the hat list dimensions of the crown, brim, and ribbon? Do you have a feel for the age of the hat? Color?

After the auction closes you can post it and the gang can get specific with suggestions.

Sincerely,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21