Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband-less Knox - What is this?

DesGus

New in Town
Hello - I just received this hat from an anonymous donor, and am perplexed at what it could be. I've never seen one like this and am not having any luck finding anything online.

It has an incredibly soft velvet-like finish that seems to be constructed on some kind of a stiff canvas.

It also has no sweatband - but instead a pullout sort of fabric liner.

I've put a few photos below. If anyone has any clue what I'm looking at, the info will be much appreciated!

DesGus

New in Town
Is it possible it's a "mini" top hat?
It's very stiff. Almost hard (structurally) but silky to the touch.

Is the bandlessness with the side-liner indicative of a certain period?

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a women's Silk Sailor hat. Very popular in the first two decades of the twentieth century. Constructed like a silk top hat, but in the style of a sailor's hat, hence the name. No sweatband because it's a women's hat, very typical of the period.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

DesGus

New in Town
SEE BELOW FOR PHOTOS

I've been trying for a while to find ANY information on these women's silk sailor hats - era, value, etc. But have been stumped every time. Anyone out there have any information or resources on them? I'm not sure I need it (not being a woman or a sailor) but I want to know a little bit about it before I put it out there. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Your pictures aren't showing up for me. Sorry, but I have no knowledge of such things. Hopefully, others can chime in...

DesGus

New in Town
Yeah, I've have the hardest time uploading any photos. I can right click on them to open in a new tab. But that might not work for others. I'm not sure. But thanks for chiming in!

Try putting them in a file on your hard drive. You can upload them directly from there and they should show up. Size is also an issue. Resize the images to about 640x, and save them as a regular jpg. You should have enough posts now to be able to upload from your 'puter.

DesGus

New in Town
IMG_20170301_103206.jpg
IMG_20170301_103152.jpg
IMG_20170301_103222.jpg

DesGus

New in Town
Try putting them in a file on your hard drive. You can upload them directly from there and they should show up. Size is also an issue. Resize the images to about 640x, and save them as a regular jpg. You should have enough posts now to be able to upload from your 'puter.

Genius!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats