Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tango!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
What are your feelings about Tango music?

tango1.jpg

tango2.jpg

If these paintings don't rush your blood, you need to check your pulse!

The drama!

The sensation!

The violins!

The drop of the tempo, and then it rushes right back up again!

Tango music definitely pumps the blood heavier than some music, as does the most romantic dance in the world that goes with it.

The Roxanne scene from Moulin Rouge!, as well as the song pumps my blood.

Here is the history of the most famous tango song in the world.

La Cumparsita: The story

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I dance Argentine Tango, which is a bit different from traditional Tango, but I absolutely love it!
There is a particular song called Milonga Triste that is so moving, it could make you cry.
The steps can make you fall in love for five minutes or less, or infuriate you just as quickly.
It's such a beautiful dance!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
That scene from Moulin Rouge is my favourite! I dance ballroom tango and it's one of the dances I most love to do (although I admit I'm a bit partial to the Charleston, so it's not quite my favourite).

I do stick on a bit of Astor Piazzola some evenings. The music is just so dramatic and atmospheric.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Tango thread/photos on Xmas 1930's Milonga (tango dance)

Just to bump this one, as it seems appropriate. I dance Argentine Tango and we had a special 1930's themed dance hall in Buenos Airies (even though it was on the Scottish borders!) where all the men dressed in their Fedoras and scarves and the ladies dressed in traditional Argentine Tango attire. (CLICK ON LINK BELOW):

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14243&highlight=TANGO

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
I dance Argentine Tango, which is a bit different from traditional Tango, but I absolutely love it!

I guess I am a little confused. Isn't Argentine (or perhaps the combination of Argentine and Uruguayan) Tango the "traditional" tango?

I know that there are more modern styles that competitive dancers use, but I would think that the old Buenos Aires/Montevideo style would be the "traditional" one, no?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Argentine is the 'traditional' Tango.

As I understand it, Argentine Tango is the traditional/original. As it filtered through to Europe, the Europeans created their own, which has the head flicks and parading down the centre of a room and is often seen in the ballroom competitions.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have seen around Los Angeles that there are live shows of tango dancers for you to see (and some to join in with). It looks great.

Has anyone read the story of La Cumparsita?

Definitely an interesting read of minors and trying to obtain the rights of the song for a couple years.

I played it for a friend of mine's mom, since he is half Argentinean and she was born there. She recognized it instantly. :D

May I recommend the version by Los Cinco Latinos? It was recorded somewhere in the 50s. Greatest version I've heard yet.

The original recording of Carlos Gardel's version is touching.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What lovely Tango paintings!

Where are they from? as I have been searching for some 'good' Argentine Tango prints/paintings for the new Summer Room I have been working on.

lindylady

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
Where are they from? as I have been searching for some 'good' Argentine Tango prints/paintings for the new Summer Room I have been working on.

The second painting can be purchased at art.com. The poster art print will run about $32. I'm not sure where the first painting can be found, but I want it! :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Argentine Tango

If you like the music of Tango and cannot dance it the alternative is to listen to the greats of the 1930-40s.

The best is Carlos Gardel.

You can pick up selections of his greatest hits type stuff cheap in the record shops in the Cuban/World Music sections.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Tango, from what I've been taught, originated in Spain, and was brought over to the "colonies" for lack of a better term.

Argentine Tango is different because at the time of its inception the country was the holiday spot of Italian playboys, and others but predominantly Italians, and they outnumbered the women, so it was originally male couples, taking turns showing off in the lead, and eventually they added their own spin to it.

It was officially a dance of the red-light district, so the ladies were often prostitues and call girls etc, which is how it evolved into such a close contact dance.;)

PS
I am by no means an expert, this is how it's history was given to me by my instructors.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
It was officially a dance of the red-light district, so the ladies were often prostitues and call girls etc, which is how it evolved into such a close contact dance.;)

I think I read somewhere that the reason they keep they're heads turned away is because the sailors they were dancing with smelled so bad. Can anyone verify this?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tango origin

CanadaDoll said:
Tango, from what I've been taught, originated in Spain, and was brought over to the "colonies" for lack of a better term.

Argentine Tango is different because at the time of its inception the country was the holiday spot of Italian playboys, and others but predominantly Italians, and they outnumbered the women, so it was originally male couples, taking turns showing off in the lead, and eventually they added their own spin to it.

PS
I am by no means an expert, this is how it's history was given to me by my instructors.

The tango is also Neapolitan and evolves a lot from the Napolitani love songs hence the sentimentality and whistfulness of same.

The chief place to see the Tango is the La Boca district which is down near the docks in the Federal District aka a dance of the true Portenos.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's a very sensual, close and intimate dance (or should be!)

And this causes a problem for some Brits as we are so reserved and mindful of our private space!! (eg: how close you allow someone to come to you without feeling very uncomfortable).

So to have legs entwined close to crotches and heads on shoulders and areas touching areas that is usually a NO-NO, has to become a SI-SI, if you are dancing Argentine Tango properly. It is a close dance, you do have to create space for some moves, but then back to the closeness again. Almost like a wave lapping on the beach, it comes close, moves back and rolls in again.

Having said that, I tend to dance with a 'chosen few' only because both I and the lady I am dancing with, feel safe and secure with each other. And because of that, we can be intimate in the dancing/holding sense, without it being overtly sexual.

Do it well, lose yourself in the fantastic music of the dance, and it's a very powerful and emotional journey.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
JazzBaby said:
I think I read somewhere that the reason they keep they're heads turned away is because the sailors they were dancing with smelled so bad. Can anyone verify this?

I haven't heard that one, although late at night after several drinks, it's entirely possiblelol . I'll ask at practica, and let you know!
I turn my head a particular direction because it's more comfortable to dance that way, but that's just my preference[huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Libertango...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKCwcCMAnxg

I just love this Libertango!!

This next one has so much emotion and passion to it, it could reduce you to tears in parts. Again, but Astor Piazzolla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJQnCcFlvc

Now this next one, "Whatever Lola Wants"by Sarah Vaughan has been jazzed up by the Gotan Project, and some folk will dance tango to this (sort of a new age tango). Forget the cartoons, it's the music that I wanted to get over to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wme3UmyvaiA

Now SANTA MARIA by the new tango group, Gotan Project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zD9W9SZj9w

NOW..back to more traditional Argentine Tango...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJq7SJqtAc

This one by the famous Carlos Gardel is "Por Una Cabeza" which some of you might recognise from the tango pieces in Schindler's List and Scent of a Woman. (this is the original piece).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrDh5OLS-M

And finally, a nice slow one where the gents can keep their hats on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmby9J42OfE

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
And this causes a problem for some Brits as we are so reserved and mindful of our private space!! (eg: how close you allow someone to come to you without feeling very uncomfortable)...
Lucky girls, Paddy;)

Thanks for the links, great as your contributions always are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda