Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I do agree with the last few posts with my only point being I am amazed at how little thought that some people put into being tattooed. I have spent time with tribal societies that tattoo and there are some very interesting designs with very interesting meanings.

In our society I have witnessed folks that at a spur of the moment place permanent marks (such as cartoon characters) on their bodies that meant very little to them. That surprises me. I could care less, just an observation.

I agree with you there Burton. I would never get a tattoo of something that didn't have some deeper meaning for me. I certainly wouldn't pick a piece of common flash that everyone else is walking around wearing simply because they thought it would be "cool" to have a tattoo. The only exception to this IMO would be "classic" flash as seen previously in this thread; as much as I admire it, however, it's not for me.

mattfink

Practically Family
Burton said:
I have spent quality time with folks like Dyaks in Borneo that tattoo themselves out of tradition and must say I find the current modern world tattooed to be highly amusing. It takes little thought to mark ones body permenently and I am amazed at the absolutely stupid things people will wear forever. The military tattoo I understand although I did not partake myself as I needed to stay a bit more incognito.

Forever? Life is temporary as is the flesh...you will eventually shed both.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
There are some beautiful tattoos posted in this thread! I don't have any tattoos. I would maybe get a beauty mark tattooed under my eye, an homage to Liza. I draw it on even when I'm not wearing any other makeup anyway.

My group of friends and I are at odds in our own subculture. Punk kids today wear drab or dark colours, baggy clothes, they wear their hair undyed and usually in dreads, and they like to have lots of piercings and tattoos. Weed is out, meth is in (???!). They listen to metal. My two friends and I do not fit in! These kids are always asking "how come you guys wear your pants so tight?? how come you guys blow your money on bright hair dye colours? WHY DON'T YOU HAVE ANY TATTOOS??"

They're always offering, "you know my buddy upstairs has got a tattoo gun, anything you want, girl, anything you want we can go get it done right now. No it's safe, he's really good"

YIKES! lol

mattfink

Practically Family
Burton said:
Mattfink, I dig what you are saying but think that does not excuse a cartoon character on ones butt.

Why does anyone need to be excused by YOU for anything? If they are having fun and not hurting anyone, who are YOU to criticize them for it? Live and let live or you'll just live a miserable life.

mike

Call Me a Cab
mattfink said:
Why does anyone need to be excused by YOU for anything? If they are having fun and not hurting anyone, who are YOU to criticize them for it? Live and let live or you'll just live a miserable life.

damn straight. no one matters. not you, not the other guy, not even me. 100's, 1,000's of years from now.... we won't even be blips on the radar of life. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
mattfink said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I have some cartoony pinup girls on my arms and on the back of my legs. I love them! They are "me" and I don't regret them one bit!!! I get tons of compliments! :D They don't really have a "deep meaning", but that's ok with me. Just as those who tattoo themselves for deeper meanings are ok with me, too!

cupcake

Familiar Face
Burton said:
After reading the above posts and becoming enlightened I have decided to stop needing to excuse people for their ill thought out and oddly placed tattoos. A great load has been lifted!

Tattoos hurt. Tattoos hurt a lot.
Regardless of whether or not it's a good design, well executed and well placed, bearing with the pain of receiving your tattoo says a lot about a person and their strength. I can only applaud them for that. Let them beat themselves up over the bad tattoos, if they want. At least you didn't have to sit for hours of pain to get them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This is a thread for showing off tattoos, not for criticizing the choices of others. And remember that the Lounge has a policy regarding language.

LaMedicine

One Too Many

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
My Tattoo

I just got this new tatto this summer. Each flower represents the flower for the month each of my sons was born. There are 4 ;) It took 8 hours and was done in one sitting. This is my 3rd tattoo and I can't wait to get more;)
fefffb1eb300-1.jpg

Kirstenkat

New in Town
I love tattoos but have such a low tolerance to pain will sadly never be brave enough to get one. If I did, I'd get my favorite quote on my lower back. Yes he *gasp* tramp stamp, which honestly I don't understand that phrase. How is a back tattoo trampy? I really love the beauty of type, and love the idea of a good classic quote tattoo. Or I would love a large tree illustration on my back, I think bare trees are gorgeous, as weird as that sounds.
I also really admire people who get tattoos of loved ones who passed away. Not that they were dead, but I saw a man at a waterpark who had an extremely realistic tattoo of his wife and two boys on his back it was so beautiful.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I plan to get a tattoo on my upper arm somewhere with my cafe logo if I ever get the thing open, since I've spent so long trying. I like tattoos, some more than others, but if I'm going to get one, it's really gotta mean something, and I've never worked harder for anything before, so it's this or nothing.

ortega76

Practically Family
The daughter of a friend (who is a tattoo artist) was surprised and puzzled when she started kindergarten this year as her teacher had no "pictures" on her arm. Dad is covered in a Japanese bodysuit and mom has significant coverage. Her grandpa is an old Navy man and biker and Grandma is an old hippie, so they have visible tattoos. Even her uncles and aunts have visible tattoos. She thought adults naturally sprouted pictures on their skin when they got older. She was looking forward to a picture of a pony or bird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21