Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That tune in your head

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
Oh, I was listening to her yesterday on the iPod, this song in particular. I just love this song. It is so amazing, and incredibly well done. Everything from her flawless voice to the orchestration, which for lack of a better word is extraordinary and exciting. It really stirs up a lot of feeling, what a great piece of music. But then again, anything Nina Simone does is nothing less then fantastic.

Oh so true, altho, her version of 'Strange Fruit' Im not too fond of. But I can only listen to her version of 'I Put a Spell on You'.

Oh Nina, how I love you :D

LD

Hondo

One Too Many
Sugar Loaf

"Green Eyed Lady" by the 70's group/band Sugar Loaf, just came to mind. It (maybe) has that jazzy or lounge sound, if not what would you call it, I mean Green Eyed Lady? I really dig it ;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
When I was in high school (late '80's), if you wanted to drive someone nuts, start singing "Don't worry, be happy" by Bobby McFerrin. They would hate you the rest of the day!:rage:

I am very particular about the music I allow myself to hear (just for this reason- that I will get something I don't like stuck in my head!!!).

Recently, I have been hearing "Skylark" by Mel Torme in my head...but that ain't a bad thing!;)

See, now I'm humming it to myself!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My friend's father is a obscure novelty song nut and there's one he sings that pops up in my head from time to time and refuses to leave--I don't know the title (possibly "Feudin' Fussin' and Fightin' which is the first lyric?) or who sings it but the bit that taunts me is "Grandma, poor old grandma/why'd they have to shoot poor grandma? She lies/'neath the clover/someone caught her ben-din' over/a pickin' up a daisy". I think it's the rhythm of it.

There's also a Stephen Colbert parody of an early 80's song that is an earworm for me ("everytime I see you I think of you...everytime I'm near you I think of you")

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
'Feeling Good'
by Nina Simone :cool:

LD

I'm on a real Nina Simone kick too lately with "My Baby Just Cares for Me" and "To Love Somebody" in heavy rotation. Also Nancy Wilson's "That's What I Want for Christmas" which is my new favorite Christmas song--her voice is so sweet.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I Just Couldn't Take It, Baby has been worming my ear ever since I played the original Eddy Duchin 78 this afternoon.

You just don't begin to know the spot you've got me in
If I ever thought you'd be untrue
I just couldn't take it, baby
Lovin' you the way I do

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I'm on a real Nina Simone kick too lately with "My Baby Just Cares for Me" and "To Love Somebody" in heavy rotation. Also Nancy Wilson's "That's What I Want for Christmas" which is my new favorite Christmas song--her voice is so sweet.

For me "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" has to be one of my favorite songs by her. Im a SUCKER for big brown eyes *sigh* :rolleyes:

LD

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You get rid of one ear worm, then you catch another.
Listen to Don Bestor play There's A Ring Around The Moon in 1933.
Just strikes a great mood somehow - it glides, not quite swinging, but kinda stepping on air - no crazy kid lindy hopping, just traveling across the floor with a slightly demure lady in a sensible suit and shoes and just something in the way she moves...all the while the band is blowing these luminous blue and purple clouds of sound around you...
now if I could only dance...

320281594_a42314fb23_o.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
Well two days ago it was the Maverick theme, one day ago it was "Astro Zombies" by the Misfits and now it's "A Boy named Sue" by Johnny Cash. Crazy, huh?

GOK

One Too Many
Steve said:
Preach it!

Another Kingston Trio fan here. :)

Oh my goodness - I was brought up on the Kingston Trio. :D I heard a new version of Long Black Veil the other day...it was a bit goth :(

The song in my head right now that refuses to go away is Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby. :)

Lady Day said:
For me "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" has to be one of my favorite songs by her. Im a SUCKER for big brown eyes *sigh* :rolleyes:

LD

That's because brown eyes are THE best! I don't think I've heard Simone's version of the song but I love it by Messrs. Holly and Berry (I've just realised how coincidental those two names are!!).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
An Observation

At least if this thread and the Smoochy Dance thread are any guide...
many more people want to dance to golden era music (and a rather small slice of it at that) than actually want to listen to it.

That about right?

GOK

One Too Many
I can only speak personally but I prefer to listen to GE music than anything else. And I love to sing to it. And dance to it. It gets in my head and stays there! :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
This is really strange - but "The White Cliffs of Dover" has been stuck in my head ever since I saw a late movie one night weeks ago, where the song was played. Can't remember which film - but the song is still there!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The night before last, when I was puking my guts out (food poisoning), I got the L-Word theme song stuck in my head.

It's pretty much the most irritating theme song known to man, and though I was previously obsessed with the show, I can't watch it anymore because now I associate the theme with vomiting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner