Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Age of Profanity

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I saw this article on Yahoo! and just knew I had to post it. I know that profanity certainly isn't anything new but the prevalence of it these days can be disconcerting especially to someone such as myself who very, very rarely swears aloud:

---

"This is a story about words we can't print in this story. You probably hear these words often, and more than ever before. But even though we can't print them — we do have our standards — we can certainly ask: Are we living in an Age of Profanity?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060328/ap_on_re_us/age_of_profanity

L_H

NO doubt ...

... that profanity is prevalent. But is it really a big deal? I have a terrible potty mouth. The f-word is a staple of my vocabulary when talking to people i know well. In mixed company (people i know and some i don't) i tone it down. A lot of things annoy me. I find that my best outlet is profanity. Other people start punching when they get irritated; i start swearing.

I don't know about the wisdom of blaming anything in particular for the rise of profanity - if indeed there has been a rise; i haven't seen any authoritative study. Media (including movies) tends to reflect the society as a whole rather than influencing it. Maybe we're seeing more profanity in movies because of reduction in censorship - still far too much censorship goes on, in my opinion.

I've always wondered what people who are offended by swearing think about written profanity. What about Hamlet? Some of the best literature is riddled with swearing.

Maybe it's all Tiny Tim's fault?

bk

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I find hearing bad language when I'm out quite irksome.

:mad:

I find it hard to believe that some employees of cinemas/retail stores will openly engage in conversation doused in bad words in front of potential customers.

Surely this didn't happen in the Golden Era :( !!!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I always regard those who use profanity as stupid since they can't come up with something more intelligent to say....just a lack of vocabulary in my book. I get 'f--k you' yelled at me quite a bit when I'm out walking my dog or biking and a driver or skateboarder nearly runs me over. I just sternly tell them what I think, but don't cuss at them. That's when the guy gives me that standard 'f--k you' reply. I just want to tell him, 'hey, thank you for the offer, but I only have sex with women,' but I know that will get me in even more trouble.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
swearing (to me) makes a person seem very uneducated, because of what basically Quigley just said, they can't find an intelligent word for it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
although, I do have to admit that a swear word does occasionally come out, say if like, I happened to shut my finger in the door or something :eusa_doh:

Mycroft

One Too Many
I see where you all are conserended, but profanity much like slang is an evolution of the common language. I was raised in a non-cursing household, but still I don't care if I hear it. Anyhow, it will always be with people and always has been.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't doubt it.

Marc Chevalier said:
We probably do live in an age of profanity. Then again, 17th century Londoners -- men and women both -- used profane language far more regularly than we do.

Times were tough and so they had so much more to b*#@h about!

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't like it when people use profanity matter of factly like the infamous Ozzy Osbourne and family. To use profanity is special. It's like nudity. I don't want to see all people naked all the times. Just special people at special times. Otherwise the thrill is gone. I think it is a legitimate form of expression that can be used to make a point as long as it is done in the company of those that won't loose train of thought in the conversation because they are offended by it. Control is just as important as with anything else. I can't understand these people that yell profanities at the top of their lungs in the middle of a supermarket or while at a restaurant.:rage: Or those that just met you and start in with the profanities taking for granted that you don't mind.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
It all seems to reflect the state of affairs in our culture where we now have generations raised in a humanistic style that tend to be egocentric and impatient. No longer do they have a clue that it is in good taste to act differently in different situations. Respect seems so yesterday to so many as they rush ahead to exist in their drone-like style. So many seem to think that their provincial view of the world is all that matters and this- coupled with the "timeout rather than the rod" style in which they were raised- results in the feeling that their frustrations outweighs anyone elses plight. I just hope that the new American open acceptance of profanity by all coupled with the informal style of our culture gets to a point of satiation where it will slowly but steadily become uncool to be uncooth.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
To use profanity is special. It's like nudity. I don't want to see all people naked all the times. Just special people at special times. Otherwise the thrill is gone. I

Profanity is like Bacon or Martinis. It's enjoyable but you don't want to overdo it.

Steve

Practically Family
To me, profanity is a subject that I have mixed feelings about. As a whole, I think that profanity is a poor excuse for language, especially since there are $20 words you can use that will win an argument simply by going above the head of your antagonist.

On the other hand, I feel that a few of the words that are used as projectives are clean in the classical sense. For instance, when frustrated I often say that I'm "damned if I do and damned if I don't;" meaning condemned in the original meaning of the word. Same thing with the word "bitch." A bitch is a female dog in the original definition, and I see no harm in that.

What annoys me the most about profanity is that people often use it just for the shock value; and when there's a medium that it can't be used, i.e., advertising; businesses will get as cloooooose to using a "cuss word" as possible without actually using it. I say this based on several ads I'v seen and a radio ad I heard a while back where I car dealership announcer said "We're going truckin' crazy!" with special emphasis on the "truckin'." That dear friends, is positively vexatious.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It is far too prevalent today.

Some men are turned off by a woman smoking. I cannot stand it when a woman swears. It is absolutely the most disgusting, filthy thing I ever see a woman do. In television; the level of profanity is outrageous. Civilized people should have an extensive vocabulary, not one learned on the walk to school.:eusa_doh:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
to the german commander:NUTS!

Actually, I've read where some veterans of WWII complained about the profanity in some movies. I think it was SavingPrivateRyan. They felt cursing was not typical of those times & more in character for the VietNam war.

F-Bomb versus other cuss words!

Hi all!

Cursing and swearing has been with civilization since the first stubbed toe in the dark. It has always been with us and probably always will be with us. Mark Twain said he would not use profanity except when discussing rent and taxes. Now cursing and swearing has levels of ferocity. We may have an admiration for it when used in some ways like Patton speaking to the troops before battle or some fiesty intimate talk during intimate sessions. Then it is used to effect and for effect, but when it is simply "general" conversation it loses it's effect. I used the f-bomb when very frustrated and exasperated by others. It creeps in when my frustration or anger starts blocking out the ability to search for witty reparte. Also my NY accent comes on full and strong with cursing in situations like slamming my hand in the car door. @#%&! and more all in New Yawkese!

I don't know how to say this but a good experiment is to see when you become uncomfortable with your own language. Like when speaking to someone you have great respect for such as Grandfather or Grandmother or religious people such as priests, pastors and rabbis etc. That can be telling if you find you are struggling to refrain from coarse language.

One loss is in general is you did not hear it in public like you do now. I went to baseball games at Shea Stadium in the 70's as a kid and there wasn't as much screaming of foul language then as I have seen at recent Dodger Stadium or Angels Stadium games. I was embarrassed once when I took my mom.

When I was 8 along with the other boys in the neighborhood we "discovered" cussing and it was a revelation. We joined in with wild abandon, but not to the girls and not so adults would hear. Now the term 'little cuss' is realistic for toddlers in many households, as cussing is beating out momma and poppa in the race for that initial self expression. What do you want first words to be from your little princess or your special little guy's mouth.

For some there seems to be no restraints to keep from unleashing some sort of demonic fury inside that starts to spew like an erupting volcano, a force like Krakatoa exploding. Losing you cool was considered to be a no no, now people give ratings on usage: a 9 point 5, 9 point 2, a 9 point 4 and the Bulgarian judge, 7 point 9.

Ladies, doing some sort of Jerry Springer flip out when in public with us guys is down right scary to see & hear, especially when tied to either Southern accents or urban accents! We're looking at calling in a priest to do an exorcism. "Honest, Father O'Malley, I don't know what happened, I think she was channaling Joe Pesci!"

Now military men receive some exemptions especially while in the field, and there you may find some true masters of the medium. For the f-bomb I will simply use the word 'WORD' in the followng. A British sargent was trying to train some men in the use of a GPMG general purpose machine gun. The gun had been giving him difficulties and after firing a short burst down range the gun jammed completely and for the final time. Later on it could only be fixed by the amorer. But first the sargent tried the usual tricks to move the bolt handle to cycle the gun and get it working all to no effect. Exasperated with the GPMG., he exclaimed: WORD! The WORDING WORDER is WORDING WELL WORDED! At which point an awestruck hush fell on the attending soldiers.

So there is a time and a place for it, but not in public and in front of the kids. Best not at work and not at loved ones although we always hurt the ones we love. So calm cool and collected needs to prevail. Hitting a thumb with a hammer, all bets are off!

Have a nice day.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I don't know how to say this but a good experiment is to see when you become uncomfortable with your own language. Like when speaking to someone you have great respect for such as Grandfather or Grandmother or religious people such as priests, pastors and rabbis etc. That can be telling if you find you are struggling to refrain from coarse language.

I think that is the absolute best measure of all. So is it a word you would use in front of your parents? Okay, now would you use it in front of your boss? What about your priest? And so on and so forth. Eventually everyone (or I'd hope as much) has someone that they wouldn't dare approach in such a manner.

L_H

The arbitrary and capricious use of expletives around youth and in a raucous manner in public is reprehensible and those who are so oblivious that they seek to inveigle their moronic and imbecilic tendencies on the unsuspecting are equally reprehensible and odious. Why use expletives when I can make someone use a book they would not otherwise peruse---the dictionary. :p
Tiny Tim, while mellifluous to some is preposterous to me. His prestidigitation with the ukulele is more like profligate flatulents to me. He is however not responsible for language contortions due to expletives. It is more correctly directed at the current high level of arcane hedonism. That should be added to the lyrics previously penned and mentioned. :D

Regards to all,

J

LaMedicine

One Too Many
It seems to me, word usage change as much as people's attitudes.
Too much in use, and it becomes vulgar, but somewhat doubtfully acceptable.
I can think of several words that were a no-no in my childhood, that seem milder now, in comparison to the newer expressions. so nobody bats an eye.
"Gone With The Wind" was almost not released because of Clark Gable's parting shot in the last scene. Nobody really thinks much about that now, as a matter of fact, I imagine most will think that the import of that movie would be half lost, were the dialogue changed to something else.

It boils down to "manners", I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari