Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Age of Profanity

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Baron, I like your love for discussion;)
your question to swear words adding something to the conversation....
As I stated earlier, those kinds of words refer to (almost) everyday acts but in a crude and vulgar text. So, to the adding of these words, I really don't feel inserting them in will give your statement any more of the 'punch' you are going for compared to using instead a word that doesn't have a vulgar reference to it and could just as well give your listener the full intent of what you're trying to say

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I maintain that in most profane episodes, the actual, or formal definition of the word/s is superfluous and the expression of the words are of pure, momentary exclamation. Referring to a person as an F, or a C, surely has no literal inference, or connotation- how can it reasonably?

The thought of the 'negative' use of such words as a negative reflection on a gender-characterising body part however, could be of issue- but if we can understand that it is the perceived and non-specific vulgarity of the word's original usage that is of import in such an urgent expression, then this is of no consequence.

I believe that those formal (dictionary) word definitions of references to body parts and products are long lost in 'modern language usage' of cuss-words, unless referring specifically to said parts and products.

The modulation and angle-of-attack of the utterance is far more important, expressive and meaningful in urgent speech than any 'definition' of the word- and as urgent 'sounds' they are recognisable as just that- which is useful. The briskness and intonation of these words lend themselves well to urgent utterance. To yell "Bum", "Poo", or "Sugar", would just not satisfy the cutting of mustard.
Utterance of the word; "Bugg*r", however, offers some, small satisfaction in protestation.

If a person in distress yells "F...!!!", they are likely to be observed as being in distress, or urgent need, rather than a person who is conducting a short and vulgar discourse pertaining to the sex act.("Sex Act" sounds somehow more vugar than F...!, to me)

They might as well be defined as exclamative 'sounds' rather than words.

B
T

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
With them being urgent expressions, again, you can easily replace a swear word for another and still let the listener know of your intent. Yelling "Help!" does just as nicely as saying "F***!". In conclusion, we already have enough words in our English vocabulary without having to resort to using words that are of a offending nature

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

If the meaning of the word really doesn't matter....say.....when you stub your toe.....If you are just feeling the need to express yourself.....you could train yourself to use a different word. "Exit" for example. It is a short four letter word that has a kind of punchy sound. So the next time you stub your toe yell EXIT!!!!

It might even make for interesting conversation with those around you.;)

Steve

Practically Family
In truth, the intent of the word remains the same as the word itself. If you give someone the finger and scream "f--- you," it'd come off the same way if you said "grass you," because the intention of the word would be the same.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
you know, I was just thinking the same thing..although it's for sure more polite than using the actual swear word, but you can say , "o. booger!" well, not a swear word, and nothing real offensive in itself..just kind of gross, but it still has to do with bodily excretions. So, here's what I came up with...I think the use of edifying language has a religious beginning....the bible says do not use the Lord's name in vain. Also, it says whatever is pure, just, right, and praiseworthy, think upon these things...same could be said of what comes out of our mouths. It is what seperates man from beast...the capacity to become better and to edify on another. It is another form of discipline...to the gentleman, he refrains from such language and instead using something that niether harms nor insults another person..but to the other side of the coin such language flows freely .

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Steve said:
In truth, the intent of the word remains the same as the word itself. If you give someone the finger and scream "f--- you," it'd come off the same way if you said "grass you," because the intention of the word would be the same.

Intent is in YOUR meaning- not the received message.

"Grass You!" would surely not be as effective, insulting, or offensive due to the fact that the cuss-ee didn't recognise it.
Unless, of course, it was in the vernacular.

I will re-iterate, as an aside, that Abuse-hurling and Exclamation are very different uses of profanity.

B
T

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Steve said:

No, I'd not, in most cases. The taboo or curse status of a word is conventional, that is, actually arbitrary as such. If there are substitutes, those may in fact work, and be less offending, e. g. "darn" for "damn(ed), or they might develop to the same state as the original after a while.

Even if you ostensibly use a "harmless" word that isn't known as a substitute, for instance you're saying "exit" for [insert a four-letter word starting with f, which, as I'm told is tabooed in the US even when quoted in linguistic circumstances :) ] and the other one hasn't heard that yet, depending on the circumstances such as a hostile glance, it can be just as offending. These circumstances don't apply if you hurt yourself and don't curse anybody in particular, though.

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

John in Covina said:
Oh, Fudge!

While I was away from the computer, I talked to a friend who told me they're just eating fruit with chocolate from a chocolate fountain - no joke!

Irena

One of the Regulars
Interesting...when I stub my toe, or get hurt, the first thing out of my mouth seems to be "Ouch!" after that, there is nothing much more to say, except "How did this brick get in the middle of the living room, anyway?"

I've lived my whole life without swearing (unless you count the one-time experimentation in kindergarten with the word "gosh"). I just don't see the point - anything that needs to be said can be better expressed without curses.

Yes, I am offended by crude language. I know that it is a part of this world we live in, but I do wish that I never had to hear it.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Well, I guess I differ from this community in this. I'm on the side of swear words.

I swear a lot. Like a sailor, you might say, and when somebody suddenly tells me I curse too much, I flinch, look at them cross-eyed and think:

They're just words that carry extra weight into phrases, and if not that, then just words or the mannerisms of an individual. I wonder when people get offended by things simply because they are not in the average dictionary.

Cussing someone out is one thing, but if I'm just going to say, "I'll wring the F-ing ba***rd says a word against my bleeding F-ing king," (famous line from Ulysses), the use of profanity just makes the line stick out.

Plus, in Russian, profanity is art.

Shrug.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Word.

Well it seems that it is about where you see you in relationship to the

world.

In the discussion for some the fact to swear may cause uncomfort or

pain is not enough of a valid reason for finding the act unnecessary.That

is not just a because state of stance it is a cause and reaction. A CHOICE.

Do unto other as...

As an active participant in any relationship family,neighbor, co-

worker, acquaintance or stranger where does respect begin and end for

others and ourselves? :cheers1:

WEEGEE said:
Well it seems that it is about where you see you in relationship to the

world.

In the discussion for some the fact to swear may cause uncomfort or

pain is not enough of a valid reason for finding the act unnecessary.That

is not just a because state of stance it is a cause and reaction. A CHOICE.

Do unto other as...

As an active participant in any relationship family,neighbor, co-

worker, acquaintance or stranger where does respect begin and end for

others and ourselves? :cheers1:

Exactly. In two words Profligate Hedonism. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Salv

One Too Many
We should also consider that some words can be offensive in one culture but not another. In the UK we use another 4-letter word, similar in meaning to the F-word in that it's a euphemism for the sex act, but without the impact of the F-word. In the US the same word refers to a style of dancing popular in the Beach Music scene in and around Myrtle Beach, SC. There was even a 1980's US-made film - a sort of female American Graffiti but with a soul and R&B soundtrack - based on the Beach scene and set in the early 60's, that used the word for its title. More recently the second Austin Powers film used a variation of the word, and there was a succesful campaign in the UK to have this variation removed from film posters, and the film was, I believe, temporarily banned in Singapore and Malaysia.

So, if I was in a club in Myrtle Beach and asked one of the ladies for a shag she'd either politely decline or lead me out to the dance floor. If I was in a club in London and asked the same thing ... well, I could expect a sneer as she turns away, or a slap, or I could get really lucky...

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Salv said:
We should also consider that some words can be offensive in one culture but not another.

Absolutely. So don't start swearing if you're in the UK, and somebody asks you if you fancy smoking a fag with him. Unless you're a militant anti-tobacco activist, that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari