Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
The other day, on another thread Binkie posted a youtube link to a Fast Forward sketch & it got me thinking, what are my favourite (oz&nz) comedy shows. Here are a few of mine - which ones are yours?

Graeme Kennedy's Blankety Blanks - best game show - ever
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25vM9LTibHw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25vM9LTibHw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Norman Gunston - 11 November 1975
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K9hZ7kjgFh4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K9hZ7kjgFh4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Aunty Jack - enjoy this one, or I'll rip yer bloody arms off!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xs9ma5oHVbE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xs9ma5oHVbE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sad News about Sam The Koala

Sam the koala, who gained worldwide fame and sympathy when she was rescued during Australia's devastating wildfires, died today during an operation to save her from a life-threatening disease.

The four-year-old koala had developed cysts associated with urogenital chlamydiosis, which affects up to 50 per cent of Australia's koala population.

During surgery, the disease was found to be so advanced that it was inoperable and Sam was put to sleep, said spokeswoman Peita Elkhorne.

"It was so severe that there was no possible way to be able to manage her pain.

"All of those who have been involved with Sam are devastated with this loss."

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Save Lonsdale House

Wondering if you guys could take the time to help save a bit of Melbourne's Art Deco history. There s a proposal to demolish Lonsdale House. The building is in definite need of love but doesn't need to be destroyed.

Please take the time to sign the online petition and feel free to give the planning minister an email - http://www.savelonsdalehouse.com/index.php

Thanks in advance!

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks Godfrey...

I have signed as well. I read about the sale of laneways in the newspaper, but it did not burden us with the details of the loss of Lonsdale House.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm petition signatory #1085. This business disgusts me - Lonsdale House is a stunning example of Art Deco architecture. This country has a shocking record of knocking down anyhting and everything to satisfy developer greed and even a heritage listing doesn't guarantee the safe preservation of a cultural icon.

I recently heard of a series of heritage listed homes in North Sydney somewhere being scheduled to be bulldozed to make way for apartment blocks. :rage:

Talbot

One Too Many
Benny, you are so right. I know some people with very very deep pockets, and they have very little sense for anything that doesn't make them a profit, or make them comfortable.

They bulldozed a heritage listed home in a fashionable leafy inner melbourne suburb to build a pair of tilt slab apartments. All the neighbors complained and they didn't even bat an eyelid.:mad: I like em a whole lot less than before

Benny Holiday

Talbot said:
Benny, you are so right. I know some people with very very deep pockets, and they have very little sense for anything that doesn't make them a profit, or make them comfortable.

They bulldozed a heritage listed home in a fashionable leafy inner melbourne suburb to build a pair of tilt slab apartments. All the neighbors complained and they didn't even bat an eyelid.:mad: I like em a whole lot less than before

Mate, they just don't care. I understand that people like us on the Lounge are a minority, that not everyone shares our vintage aesthetic, but can't they see the value in the history or the artistry of the design as opposed to slab-chrome-glass boxes that date within five years?

Someday I'm going to have to get down to Melbourne just to do a weekend Art Deco tour and savour the fine architecture there. And jump on a tram too! It's been too long since I've been down there for a leisurely look around instead of a rushed work visit.

Talbot

One Too Many
At least they see the merit in running the old W class wooden trams. I ride them whenever I can. Likewise I try to take a ferry ride when I'm up your way.

We have just changed operators for the tram network and I hope the old trams stay.

Benny Holiday

I hope they stay too. I went for a trip out to the Sydney Tram Museum at Loftus only three weeks ago and it was the most. They've got four working trams to ride on, the trips are only ten minutes north and south but it gives you the feel of being in another era. Teh main shed houses thirty or so original trams and even a trolley bus, dating from the beginnig of the 20thC through to the final Sydney trams made in the 50s.

tuppence

Practically Family
I hope you don't mind Godfrey but I've posted the link in a few communities I'm in.And sent it off to my Mother as she knows a few politicians Apparently Justin Madden is an architect, so there is just no excuse.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys! Great to have the help. Thanks Tuppence for the extra pressure.

I've also printed a few flyers and dropped them in a few of my local Cafe's and will see if Antons is willing to have a few.

Also popping in a membership to the Art Deco & Modernism Society. Its awful to see our cultural history erased and developers aiming for bland and boring rather than preserve, treasure, and revitalise.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic