Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

tuppence

Practically Family
analiebe said:
binkie.... you are talking about campbell arcade (better known as the degraves street subway or the flinders street underpass) - it was built in the early 50's in preparation for melbournes' 1956 olympics & to cope with the booming commuter population... it began life as a gleaming art deco pink tiled & black marbled wonder but by the 80's was a smelly, seedy route to the trains to be avoided... however, in the last 15-20 years it has seen a resurgence...with coffee shops, snall clothing shops & artists moving in and breathing life and light back into this wonderful "hidden" space - unfortunately i can't see the current state government or melbourne city council doing much to restore it (they seem more intent on demolishing our heritage than preserving it) but hopefully we won't see it disappear like so much of melbournes beautiful architectural history

Ahhh, You remember Flinders Street in the 80's....so different than now.
I love the little wooden couch in the Ladies, at the Elizabeth street entrance.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
analiebe said:
its interesting you make this comment fletch as i have recently been very involved with the "save lonsdale house" group here in melbourne - the core of the group is actually made up of under 40's from areas such as fashion, i.t., creative industries, teaching, sustainability positions etc as well as academics, retirees and others... so far i am the only member i've met that is really vintage-centric... its' made me really proud that here in melbourne it is people of all walks of life who are giving up the little extra time they have outside of their work/family/social lives to do what they can to preserve this citys heritage...
That's a great group then. It would be hard for me to imagine such a broad cross section of people in any but the biggest US city coming together to save a building. Even then, people from a few "out groups" would be at the center of it all.

I don't want to sound callous or cynical, just to understand why more people don't want to be part of these efforts. It's not always because they're too busy with their own lives.

Talbot

One Too Many
analiebe said:
binkie.... you are talking about campbell arcade (better known as the degraves street subway or the flinders street underpass) - it was built in the early 50's in preparation for melbournes' 1956 olympics & to cope with the booming commuter population

As a kid in Melbourne in the 60's, my two favourite places were the Degraves St Subway, and the South Seas restaraunt underground at the corner of Collins and Swanston. Great tropical decor and fishtanks at every table. They even had a live crocodile in a terarium (?). It made a lasting impression - I'd love to be able to go to a place like that today!

Degraves St has become very vibrant these days.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
Hey Smithy! Have you made the adjustment back to Oz without too many hiccups?

Hi Benny! Yup, all is well, the adjustment has gone along without a hitch, albeit helped along with a fair few pots of the amber stuff.

Might be heading up your way for New Year's actually.

analiebe

A-List Customer
Talbot said:
As a kid in Melbourne in the 60's, my two favourite places were the Degraves St Subway, and the South Seas restaraunt underground at the corner of Collins and Swanston. Great tropical decor and fishtanks at every table. They even had a live crocodile in a terarium (?). It made a lasting impression - I'd love to be able to go to a place like that today!

Degraves St has become very vibrant these days.

not growing up in melbourne i don't know of the south seas restaurant but i wish i did!!! sounds fantastic - anything that involves a terrarium has got my vote!... do you have any old photographs of the degraves st subway from the 60's? - would be great to see...

analiebe

A-List Customer
tuppence said:
Ahhh, You remember Flinders Street in the 80's....so different than now.
I love the little wooden couch in the Ladies, at the Elizabeth street entrance.

yes, tuppence, indeed i do... although i must admit there is much from the 80's i don't remember... and much i wish i didn't remember...:D

tuppence

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
Coles cafetaria,in Bourke Street, was a Deco Gem, beautiful wall tiles in creams,greens,and orange, wonder if it is still there hidden behind a gyprock stud wall?, is the old Coles Store Now part of David Jones?

My Mother worked there when she was young Binkie. I'm not sure if it is part of David Jones. Will have to take a trip into the city one of these days.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"As the song goes "Spring may be a little late this year" but why is it Christmas starts earlier?!?!, every year, is it purely an Australian thing? David Jones, Australias leading "Superior" Department store has its Christmas Window display up!!!!, it must be so confusing for the Kiddies!!! we have just had Christmas in July (another Quaint Antipodean custom) I rather feel like demonstrating outside the shop!!!, although it would be unwise to do it in my racoon coat after the recent "Arrest" of Monkey man here in the swan river colony""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIg_JWSlSl8&feature=related

win6.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I was wandering around the E Shed Market in old Freo town, on the super Vintage clothing store there, came across a "Natty" bottle green hat, it was a Royal Stetson,"Whippet" Made under Licence, in Australia , exclusively for for David Jones, it was only $45.00 and in perfect nick" But too small, could not even get it on my head, might be one for the Swan River Colony gels, of the lounge to check out?"

location_eshed.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh its ever so smart!, & John Michael is amazing as Coward"

image_17.jpg
"

"Did you see him in "Two Old Queens" in Subiaco last summer?, Edgar Metcalf as "Queen Mum" and J.M.S as the "master" it realy would make an Amazing "Musical" Film, But not by poor old Baz Lurman!!!

2OQA4B6.jpg

Two%20Old%20Queens.jpg

TOQ_080214101129017_wideweb__300x375.jpg

"Oh a fellow Scorpio, October and November are an expensive couple of Months, I can not afford any more Scorp chums, i'm not even excepting Curriculum Vitae"

tuppence

Practically Family
Silver Wattle

I know their is a thread on what people are reading. But I just read 'Silver Wattle' a novel set in Australia in the 20's written by Belinda Alexander. Feel free to disagree with me if you read it and thought different, but it was rubbish.

tuppence

Practically Family
Phyrne by a long shot Mojito.
I felt that Silver Wattle was lecturing me. I don't want to spoil it for you by going into details of the book, but if you do read it I would love your opinion.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
1st Tuesday in November

MelbCup1960s1.jpg

"Is the day of the "Melbourne Cup" the Horse race that stops a nation (Australia) here is a pic of the hats at the 1960 Race Day, "who won?, Who cares?" Aussies Ladies/Gents post copiously"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes