Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Hi to all the antipods,

If any of you are Sydneysiders or visiting I recommend the Powerhouse Museum for a vintage fix. It has some wonderful stuff, especially the transport and furniture design sections. You can also search their collection online. I stumbled upon a great piece in their archive about tailoring the other day while researching a company who made thread.

Anyway its a great resource so if you haven't already stopped by check it out. Also, if you could see it that you fly one of their planes over to collect me and bring me back to oz id be very grateful!:)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Gives one a chance to wear a "Mesh Check" shirt Argyle tie, west of England tweed waistcoat, gaberdine bags, brown and white spectators, and a chocolate stingey brim to the office"

4069760381_a7c797edb0.jpg

Feeling rather "Rolly Polly" (after all those afternoon Teas!) I substituted the Waiscoat for a lighweight Plaid wool sportscoat and a larger "Stylemaster hat in Acorn Fawn

4070593880_d279f83777_b.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
ephraim... indeed they are not... and there may now be homemade strawberry jam this summer.... hmmmmm jammmmm

but as i live in the city of the hallowed race i am steadfastly committed to living in denial to its existence... the glamour & class of days of old have been replaced by a daytime nightclub with horses present - ew

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
analiebe said:
ephraim... indeed they are not... and there may now be homemade strawberry jam this summer.... hmmmmm jammmmm

but as i live in the city of the hallowed race i am steadfastly committed to living in denial to its existence... the glamour & class of days of old have been replaced by a daytime nightclub with horses present - ew

It has become, well certainly less than what it was
http://thingsboganslike.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/17-the-melbourne-cup/

Mojito

One Too Many
bettydarling said:
Hi to all the antipods,

If any of you are Sydneysiders or visiting I recommend the Powerhouse Museum for a vintage fix. It has some wonderful stuff, especially the transport and furniture design sections. You can also search their collection online. I stumbled upon a great piece in their archive about tailoring the other day while researching a company who made thread.

Anyway its a great resource so if you haven't already stopped by check it out. Also, if you could see it that you fly one of their planes over to collect me and bring me back to oz id be very grateful!:)
It is indeed a fabulous museum, bettydarling (and conveniently about 10 or 15 mins from my museum :) ) they do run quite a few seminars and events connected with fashion and textiles, which I should probably remember to post about in the events forum. There's also the Darnell Collection , a must for students and lovers of fashion history and vintage (sigh...it includes Lucile pieces!).

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:
It is indeed a fabulous museum, bettydarling (and conveniently about 10 or 15 mins from my museum :) ) they do run quite a few seminars and events connected with fashion and textiles, which I should probably remember to post about in the events forum. There's also the Darnell Collection , a must for students and lovers of fashion history and vintage (sigh...it includes Lucile pieces!).

Isn't just Mojito! :) Which museum are you in? I miss Oz!! Heading back that way sometime next year, fingers crossed. People really take care of their vintage stuff over there, and the op shops are incredible!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Wembley ware"

"I can't believe its almost three years since this exhibition!"

Wembley Ware:
EXCITINGLY DIFFERENT!
17 Sept –12 February 2006
BHP Community Trust Gallery

Art Gallery Of Western Australia

This Artist in focus exhibition showcased the Wembley Ware range of “fancy ware” produced between 1945 to 1961 by HL Brisbane and Wunderlich Ltd/Bristile. The Wembley Ware range typified the spirit of post-war buoyancy in WA during the 1950s; creating wares specifically for a local market. The majority of the works were decorative rather than functional, and exploited highly coloured glazes and overtly Australian content in their design.

The exhibition traced the history of the production of Wembley Ware, and located it within the wider history of ceramic production on the Subiaco site. It utilised holdings of this material in the State Art Collection, alongside items lent from local collectors. The display of the material was not chronological, but rather objects were grouped according to themes, enabling both the evocation and critical exploration of the nostalgia and sentiment constructed by many of the objects. This was the first retrospective exhibition of this material.

P8200033A.JPG

Much of it is rather Kitsch, I have the vase on the right in Black with gold banding"

P8200029A.JPG

P9120002.JPG

P8200032A.JPG

wemb%20cockatoo%20vase.JPG

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I wasn't sure to post this here or in the Powder Room, but Akira Isogawa is having a 2 day (this Thurs & Fri) fabric, sample & archive sale. The fabircs are fabulous. Last time I went I picked up 5 metres of Florence Broadhurst signature range fabric for $25 (normally retails for over $100 per metre). So if you sew & you are in Sydney, PM me & I'll send you the address.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Madam Circa

"I was up early, on a fearfully hot day to visit the McCubbin exhibition, (Last impressions 1907-17) being held at the Art Gallery of the Swan River Colony.

Art Deco Society of the SRC, met there for a special conducted tour, we foregathered in the cafeteria, we were all admiring the latest edition of "Waltzing Moderne" (our magazine) which had a wrap around featuring Madame Circa's new book "Love Vintage" Nicole's Auntie Jean is a member, and helped organise it, anyhow, she was telling us all about Nicole being on the television last night!!!!!"

"Nicole was on the collectors TV show last which I missed, now I need to catch up with it up on the internet machine, and so can other Antipods, who may have been "out on the town", it was a Friday night, do admit?"

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s2768539.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS