Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

tuppence

Practically Family
Lolly, You are totally allowed to dis-agree with me. I have a shocker of a memory.So you are more than likely correct. I was thinking of what now Mojito has reminded me The New Guards as the fascists, and I think it was pretty over the top (of myself)to claim Lang supporters as communists, I just couldn't think of a better way of describing the different sides:eusa_doh:

tuppence

Practically Family
SuperKawaiiMama said:
We can't possibly start this thread without mentioning that iconic television series, "The Sullivans". Following the life of a Melbourne family during WW2.

While I'm glad you mentioned it SuperKawaii, since you can't really see more than tiny bits and pieces of it, spread here and there across the net. I like to avoid talking about it because it makes me sad.
An interesting fact is that most of the furniture and clothes they wore came from op shops.
We really do have to start a petition to get it re-played on t.v..

tuppence

Practically Family
Lord Best, I would love to go and see Ballarat.I have never been , not even to Sovereign Hill. I believe their is a small Norman Lindsey museum there that has a re-creation of a room in his house and a few of his art works.
I believe he was born and grew up in Cresswick which is just near-by.

I spend about a quarter of my time in Bendigo, We have really impressive neighbors, we live opposite.
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pcards/0/0/2/doc/pc002524.shtml
They are turning it into apartments, I did sneak in one Sunday,( before I knew they had a guard dog). They had this gorgeous weeping willow wall paper, which must have been a waiting room. I wish I had pinched some or at least taken a photo. It's probably all been stripped and freshly painted now.
I didn't here any phantom giggling or crying, but it was super spooky.

So guys if you have any Australian products from the golden era. Please post. I've got some Remued and Newtone pottery and yes, Dolls. That I'll upload pictures of later.

Binkie, is that just an online store? I've never used it. I download most of my music because the range here is just so limited.

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks Binkie

Nice lead on the store. There usde to be a store in Perth called the House of Wax. Had a great selection. Still there?

This looks good also.

http://www.play4me.com.au/product/classic_film_noir_themes_jazz_tracks_730603_235794.html

There was also a good series a few years back called Crime Jazz, Murder in the First Degree, and followed up with Crime Jazz, Murder in the Second Degree.

Not noir, but good listening. Mostly Kenton, Quincy Jones, Warren Barker, etc. I have them both, pm me to know more if interested.

Back to topic, for a time back in the 80's I was a resident in The Majestic Hotel on beautifull downtown Fitzroy Street St Kilda:rolleyes:

They used to film scenes from the Sullivan's and later Carson's Law there. It was like stepping into a noir set everytime you walked in the front door.

Talbot

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Talbot - Carsons Law, I haven't thought about that show for years, I really enjoyed it.
Tuppence I have lots of Martin Boyd pottery - I must get organised & take pictures so I can post them (more 1950's than vintage proper, but still very nice).
Mojito, methinks we may have similar views on social justice & so forth - actually NSW state politics in the 30's was fascinating.
By the way I live around the corner from Norman Lindsays home. I'm thinking of volunteering as a guide....
Perhaps a Fedora Lounge get together at Norman Lindsays house could be arranged??

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Marjorie Stedeford

"Any leads as to wear to get the CD of The Blonde baritone, Marjorie Stedeford, they used to sell it at the Sound archives place in can-berra, but i think they have moved the deck chairs around the deck ant they dons;t seem to have it any more

Marjorie Stedeford attracted immediate attention when she first appeared in London in 1935. She was a fine singer with an unusual voice—deeper than usual. One reviewer described her as 'an Australian girl with a unique baritone voice ... of soft quality and great charm'. During her few years in London, she found herself at the centre of an international 'hot spot' in the entertainment world, recording with many of the top names in popular music. The bands she sang with sound like a Who's Who of Thirties entertainment - she recorded with The Six Swingers, Jack Jackson and His Orchestra, Mario Lorenzi and His Rhythmics, Brian Lawrence and His Lansdowne House Sextet, Billy Thorburn and His Music and Carol Gibbons and His Boy Friends. Marjorie became a very successful artist and soon had a regular slot in Arthur Askey's show on Radio Luxemburg, described in publicity material as "The voice you love to hear". Unfortunately, the onset of WWII broke her career. Marjorie went home to Australia. She married, had a son and occassionally performed as a radio singer. She died, aged only 50, in 1959.

"Oh, Talbot, House of Wax finished about 4 years ago, 78 Records and Dada are still going strong as is "Mills" in Freo as is the wonderful "Record finder" also in freo

http://www.dadarecords.com.au/

http://www.78records.com.au/

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Cocktail Cabinet Bargain

"A charming "Deco" Cocktail cabinet for that Sydneyside apartment "

!BROLB(g!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBJ8763K+Sw~~_2.JPG

c3c3_2.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LOVELY-OLD-ART-DECO-COCKTAIL-CABINET_W0QQitemZ110382066214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ

Viola

Call Me a Cab
When I was in the Blue Mountains last year I was really blown away, and entranced, with the amount of Art Deco furniture in the antique stores. Quite a LOT of Deco and Mid-C stuff. Not as heavily geared toward Early America/Victorian stuff as antique stores near my hometown.

I really REALLY want a round china cabinet and round-mirrored Deco vanity.

I don't really have much to contribute to this thread but I'm moving to the Sydney/Blue Mountain area next year so I watch it with interest.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Oh, my guy and I went to the Paragon cafe, the one in Katoomba? It was marvelous. I was in love with that whole town. So many used bookstores and cafes per capita - truly heaven on earth. :)

Also Paragon's fudge was to die for.

Mojito

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:
Mojito, methinks we may have similar views on social justice & so forth - actually NSW state politics in the 30's was fascinating.
Lolly, I can't wait to meet you :) You've said the magic words.

By the way I live around the corner from Norman Lindsays home. I'm thinking of volunteering as a guide....
Perhaps a Fedora Lounge get together at Norman Lindsays house could be arranged??
I am *so* in favour of this! We could organise a trainride up from Sydney - possibly even a car-load full. I can vouch for myself and one or two others for a meet. I just recently found out that they hold Jazz festivals in the garden - that would have been perfect! More a summer thing, though. Should we talk about a Faulconbridge gathering before it gets too cold?

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh, sod it - I am *so* there with this idea, but need to go shopping with a mate for a documentry appearance. I'll broach it with my mates, though - we might be able to worth both in.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Great idea for a thread. Might also be worth mentioning a few Lounge threads focusing on Australia.

Tailors in Melbourne & Sydney - has proved useful.

Australia in the Golden Era - great links. Another from the prolific Splatt

BTW - the Victorian State Library is having a exhibition of early Melbourne photos and artifacts. Apparently very good. Worth an extended lunch break for those townie's. Regardless State Library is always worth a wander for the feel of the place.

Finally on the topic of Markets have a look at this thread on Walking Melbourne. Some excellent photos.

As a bit of an anecdote - I was working up at the Paris end of Collins st a few years ago and wandered downstairs ostensibly to avoid work and skive off. While I was considering a Latte, a book, or a stroll around the block when I noticed an old guy looking a little lost. Started chatting and it turned out that he was from Echuca and hadn't been back to Melbourne since the early 50's. He was trying to work out where the motor mechanics shop he began his career had been. Got to talking further and he told me all about the Eastern Market and wandering up over lunch and the sort of place Melbourne was back then. Also some great stories of being a mechanic on Exhibition St near the corner of Collins. After a while we said our goodbye's and he wandered off to find his train home - I walked off with a much deeper view of Melbourne and a real awe at what it must be like seeing a changed Melbourne for the first time in 50 years.

Zarniwoop

New in Town
Phryne Fisher

Anybody read any of the Phryne Fisher books by Kerry Greenwood. They are set in 30's Melbourne and about a female detective. Almost Bond like but in a very femanine kind of way. Greenwood really seems to catch the era in a very convincing way. Lots of great detail about Phryne's clothes and house.

Phryne can be found on the web at her home page.

Mojito

One Too Many
I am a total, utter Phryne addict, Zarniwoop. I adore her. And I am not usually one for either fiction or the detective genre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran