Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Boss is here

Victor

One of the Regulars
I saw and tried on this hat today. Just my luck that Art and I have the same hat size. Its a very impressive hat. Wide brim, soft low crown with the dents being subtle rather than deeply creased and the felt a soft palomino almost peach color. I liked it immediately and liked the way it looked on me but it is an interesting and unique color, i think that the picture here captures it quite well. I think that it looks better on me than on Art as I am taller and heavier than he is and have a rounder face. This would be a bit too much hat for a smaller man and really works best for someone with perhaps more regal bearing than I have. I tend towards the understated in dress and this hat is truly for a Boss or Aristocrat. Someone who wants to stand out and be noticed. Beautiful felt and very nice lines.

colorblind

New in Town
.577 nitro

A tidbit about Stewart Granger. I believe that I read years ago that when he was in Africa he used the opportunity to kill all of the big five, I also remember that he had a beutiful old double rifle in .577 nitro express that was engraved with those animals

Michaelson

One Too Many
I believe they're lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and water buffalo. I read, too, that he techinically 'folded' when he had to face a charging elephant that he had wounded, and his backup shooter had to finish the job, but that's all part of the myth and legend of the hunter and Steward Granger. Did he, or did he NOT shoot his own game? I've read it both ways. Who knows? [huh] Regards. Mark

colorblind

New in Town
Stewart Granger

I have never read anything about that but I will say one thing that if a wounded elephant(or anything else that size)charges a group of people that you are in you will probably be shooting or running(in addtion to defecating!). I have never hunted dangerous animals or been to Africa but I would guess that any guide would shoot at the first hint of being charged by dangerous game.

I remember the picture of his rifle and I believe that nothing reminds me more of the Victorian era than a cased double gun.

Michael D

Familiar Face
Another name suggestion

How about "Diamond Boss"? It's keeping with the King Solomon's Mines idea, I think. You know boss of the diamond mine. . .

Mike

Michaelson

One Too Many
colorblind said:
I have never read anything about that but I will say one thing that if a wounded elephant(or anything else that size)charges a group of people that you are in you will probably be shooting or running(in addtion to defecating!). I have never hunted dangerous animals or been to Africa but I would guess that any guide would shoot at the first hint of being charged by dangerous game.

I remember the picture of his rifle and I believe that nothing reminds me more of the Victorian era than a cased double gun.

Amen, and amen! :) Regards! Michaelson

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Hi Everyone,
In another thread we have been discussing the Quatermain hat in King Soloman's Mine and I have been working on a prototype for that hat. I have had to order more felts to make it so in the mean time Ii have played with some 'what ifs" on this style. So, what if, I coerced a felt maker to dye some pure beaver felts to a color that isn't offered, and what if I took the same style but only one brim, and what if I dressed it up rather than "bush" it out, and since we named the KS hat "Bwana" what if we renamed this hat with the same meaning but different term...I think we'd have "The Boss"
Please allow me to intruduce you to "The Boss"
The Boss in Palomino

Just got back from my wedding, Art, to see your beautiful new hat. Nice! Can't wait to see it in person at the store later this week.

Regards, Kaleponi Craig

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Sharpetoys: I believe that I'm now the #2 Honcho, at least Art said you got #1. Victor posted that it's a hat for someone with "regal bearing."
I figure that's you. Since I'm #2, I'm not quite "regal," but my wife says I have a swelled ego and a fat head.
Wait.... I do not see those words in the dictionary definition of regal. Hmmm. Well, close enough for #2! :cheers1:
Dave

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the order DB..#2's not so bad :cheers1:

I have ordered the leather stamps that it takes to print the name in the leather and they are
Bwana
Honcho
Aristocrat
My guy assures me less than two weeks..we'll see. At any rate Thank you for all the suggestions. I really appreciate them. It's funny but I have been in creative fields all of my like but I just can't come up with good names on my own. Go figure

Art

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Art -- That is the way it is in the creative field. I am a writer, and can write a decent story, but have a hard time finding a title for it. Many times authors have to have help acquiring titles for their work.

Then there are those who come up with a wonderful title and nothing to attach it to.

I guess it is better that you and I are in the former category rather than the latter. Can you imagine finding a great name for a hat and then not being able to create the hat?!!?

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, hey, I can create in my mind, a hat called Rhino or Mozambique or even Clydesdale. Stampede? Well, that too, but it is a western hat. With a horsehide strap.

Rhino, it's gray with a pointy crown, and looks like a jungle hat. It has a rough leather hat band....

Well, I can see it, but lord knows I could not create it to save my life. I can't even sew, let alone make a hat.

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
Oh, hey, I can create in my mind, a hat called Rhino or Mozambique or even Clydesdale. Stampede? Well, that too, but it is a western hat. With a horsehide strap.
Rhino, it's gray with a pointy crown, and looks like a jungle hat. It has a rough leather hat band....

I am not sure. The Rhino would have to be kind of tough but not too jungle for me. I would say it has to be brown with at least a 3" brim. I could be bound or left raw edged. I would like it to have at least a 4" crown with a block sort of like the old Stetson Eagle---with a flat trough down the center in a teardrop like pattern and two forward dents. The ribbon would be about 1 1/2" with a rhino head pin in the center of the bow or cinch that ribbon would go through.
The Mozambique would have to be a black fedora. The crown could be 4' with a 2 1/2 inch brim bound in a fancy black ribbon and a black pleated or patterned ribbon for the crown with a gray bow. The bow would have pin in the shape of the country in gold.
Just a few outlines but no skill to make it happen. :p

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
ummm, can we put the brakes on for a few months JP???? One challenge at a time please..unless of course it's a midnite blue 100% beaver...Oh, thats right, I'm already ON that one.))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner