Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Drew B said:
Just the other night a twat yelled out of his car "Nice hat! Do they come for men?" I had no response to this because I couldn't think of a way to explain the stupidity of his comment.

Cheers,
Drew.

That is a quote from Footloose.

edit: (well, slightly misquoted, the Footloose line is "Nice hat, do they sell mens' clothes where you got it?")

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Drew B said:
Just the other night a twat yelled out of his car "Nice hat! Do they come for men?" I had no response to this because I couldn't think of a way to explain the stupidity of his comment.

Cheers,
Drew.

I must admit as a now hostile, grumpy middle-aged man who was a child of the late 6o's- early 7o's this is the first thing that came to mind

- non illegitimis carborundum, partner!

FFF.jpg

From the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers by the great Gilbert Shelton c. 1971

*RBH_I hope I cleaned this up enough to be OK... if not, I understand.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Drew B said:

Cheers,
Drew.

I got something similar today, but it came from someone who lived in the 50s. [huh]

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Drew B said:

Cheers,
Drew.

Howza 'bout... "No, but I'll bet YOU do,eh mate?" :eek:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Drew B said:

Cheers,
Drew.

As a Yank, oops, American, who has been living in the UK for over a decade now, I didn't even bat an eyelid when I read this post. But yes, when I read the following comments that I remembered, hmm, oh yes. A "more than somewhat" more vulgar meaning in the States, yes :eek: . However, I do not think that Drew B deserves a spank on the fanny or anything for his post...:whistling

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The other day at campus, I think I remember hearing someone mention "Indiana Jones." I was wearing my Federation, though... but I didn't wear the whole outfit or anything, just a red, checkered, short-sleeved, button-up shirt, and greenish-grey corduroy pants, with leather shoes (not really dress shoes, as they're more casual looking). Granted, I can understand the whole Indiana Jones thing if I'm wearing a brown Akubra Federation IV of all things, but I've seen others wearing fedoras within that same week, and I have to wonder if they get comments at all. One guy wears a wider black felt one with a nearly thin-ribbon (but he wears skinny jeans too...), another guy wears a black stingy brim in felt, with a colorful feather, and then there are those that wear those straw and cotton stingy brims. Most guys though, wear New Era baseball caps, you know, the ones with the flat bills and the stickers on them.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
lol OK, I'm in for a field day here. Get a load of this: my mother, two brothers, and sister called me to the dinner table. I wasn't actually expecting this at all, and it seems like it came out of nowhere, but they wanted to have a little talk about how I dress. Apparently, I creep out my brothers with the way I dress, and they feel that I'm "not casual enough." The fedora was also mentioned, they felt it made me look old and dated.

I'll be back in a moment, I'm a bit busy with some work...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Best to counter with how much you're disappointed with their slavish adaption to overly casual lifestyles bordering on sloth. Tell them that you want them to seek family counseling now.;)

To be fair, I don't really have much of a problem with the way any of them dress. I just don't think overly casual clothing suits me. I guess you can say that I'm pretty tolerant of their lifestyles, and I mind my own business. That's the image I want to project here. I told 'em I'll take their suggestions with a grain of salt, being the reasonable man I believe myself to be. I guess you can say that I'm laissez-faire in this regard, I mean, really when it comes down to it, they just dress like the normal people of today, you know, the current "Average Joe" in America. I choose to dress a bit differently on my own accord, that's just how I feel I should be dressing, I suppose.

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
J B said:
lol OK, I'm in for a field day here. Get a load of this: my mother, two brothers, and sister called me to the dinner table. I wasn't actually expecting this at all, and it seems like it came out of nowhere, but they wanted to have a little talk about how I dress. Apparently, I creep out my brothers with the way I dress, and they feel that I'm "not casual enough." The fedora was also mentioned, they felt it made me look old and dated.

A fedora intervention? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you handled it very well though.

carldelo

One Too Many
J B said:
... I choose to dress a bit differently on my own accord, that's just how I feel I should be dressing, I suppose.

Soon it may be time to leave La-La land and come to New York, where a man of style raises neither ire nor eyebrows.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
J B said:

Like Mikey says, your family engaged in an intervention over the way you dress?!:eek:

PS - Hi Lefty!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
MisterCairo said:
Like Mikey says, your family engaged in an intervention over the way you dress?!:eek:

PS - Hi Lefty!

I've actually had a similar talk a month ago about this, though I didn't actually raise it here. And yes, it happened, for whatever reasons. They certainly don't think of the way I dress as "normal," in the everyday sense. The point my siblings were raising, is that I overdress, and that I should apparently wear t-shirts more often, though I haven't worn t-shirts regularly since two years ago. I don't actually have problems with them wearing t-shirts (and granted, I do wear them myself, but as undershirts, not outerwear), but I do want to set myself apart from today's norms, and go for a more classic influenced style. T-shirts, I don't hate them (well, I'm not fond of logos, that's for sure), but they just don't "do" anything for me, personally. As for fedoras, well, they have their reservations with that because whenever I'm walking outside I usually wear it (or the straw one), and they're very self-conscious, as they think they're getting odd stares from strangers with me around, which I have to be honest, maybe we are for my appearance, but I'm able to deal with it just fine. They're not... the bottom line is, they want me to look more "normal," rather than me going for classic retro styling (really it's just business or smart casual attire most of the time).

I'm twenty years old, just for the record here.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"Daphne deserves someone worthy. A doctor, a lawyer. Someone for whom a tee shirt is an undergarment"

- Niles Crane (paraphrased), Frasier

It never ceases to amaze me why people are so eager to try to dictate to others how they should act/dress/think.

"It's not about uniforms" - John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, I'm going to be myself, and not try to pretend to be something I'm not (for that matter, I'm not actually trying to look exactly like Indiana Jones or Humphrey Bogart either, I like their sense of style in the films, and in Bogart's case, reality, but I'm not trying to copy them). I would be a whole lot more self-conscious about myself walking around in public places wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes, than I would if I was in "Sunday Best" attire (and most of the time it's not even that) with a fedora. I would hate to make some of my family members look like the badguy here, but I know there's something ridiculous when they even have a thing against me wearing a tie outside of just Sunday for church... I wear them sometimes while on campus and attending my classes as well, and that's just sometimes.

Chinaski

One Too Many
JB, I admire your ability to know what you are comfortable with and stick to it. I believe your situation really comes down to you and your siblings' ages. Let's face it, at your age and in the place you are living, your way of dress sticks out, and apparently not in a flattering way according to your siblings. At a certain age, all kids are embarrassed by their parents, and when the kids get older that goes away. Your family is kind of in that state with you right now. Your siblings are not mature enough and comfortable enough in their own skin to accept your different way of dress, which they think of as weird. As some point they will either accept it - or not.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Chinaski said:
JB, I admire your ability to know what you are comfortable with and stick to it. I believe your situation really comes down to you and your siblings' ages. Let's face it, at your age and in the place you are living, your way of dress sticks out, and apparently not in a flattering way according to your siblings. At a certain age, all kids are embarrassed by their parents, and when the kids get older that goes away. Your family is kind of in that state with you right now. Your siblings are not mature enough and comfortable enough in their own skin to accept your different way of dress, which they think of as weird. As some point they will either accept it - or not.

Exactly, I'm comfortable with my appearance (well mostly, still a bit self-conscious, but that's because I'm still new to the fedora/retro scene), and they're not (they are comfortable with themselves, but not my own appearance, apparently). With that being said, I hate talking behind their backs in matters like this, but that's just the reality of today. Eventually, as you've mentioned, they're either going to accept my ways, or they will not. You know, there was a time where I absolutely refused to wear tennis shoes, but that's one of the recent concessions I've made for their sakes, and though I never wear them while going in public (school, church, out on the town), I do occasionally wear a pair while doing something athletic, such as going hiking on trails, jogging, and going on walks (even today), which is really what they were meant to be for. Although... someday, I'm going to invest in a decent pair of leather hiking boots for just that purpose. I can't help it, I find leather shoes and boots more aesthetically pleasing. ;)

P.S. In my avatar, you'll see that I'm wearing my brown fedora, a short-sleeved button shirt with a collar, and though off-screen, jeans. This is usually my typical outfit, if not the shirt type mentioned, a dress shirt or a polo shirt, and if not jeans, khaki pants or grey corduroys. Honestly, does that look like I'm "overdressing?"

KingTigerII

New in Town
Due to my Indy Fedora, my A-2 (Me thinks it's an A-2. I was only concerned with the 10 dollar price tag on it :) ) and my laptop satchel I get the Indy comment frequently. But there is one in particular got to me because I never expected it.....

Cowboy. Little girl said to her mom "Look Mommy it's a cowboy!" The mom pretty much ignored the girl and walked right past me.

I stared in the mirror and just couldn't get the cowboy picture to pop into my head as I think of the 50's and 60's westerns. Oh well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
KingTigerII said:
Due to my Indy Fedora, my A-2 (Me thinks it's an A-2. I was only concerned with the 10 dollar price tag on it :) ) and my laptop satchel I get the Indy comment frequently. But there is one in particular got to me because I never expected it.....

Cowboy. Little girl said to her mom "Look Mommy it's a cowboy!" The mom pretty much ignored the girl and walked right past me.

I stared in the mirror and just couldn't get the cowboy picture to pop into my head as I think of the 50's and 60's westerns. Oh well.

Now that's something I've never got before. The cowboy comment. I personally wouldn't mind it at all if it was from a child though. I'd simply smile and tip my hat, then go on my way. I'm a huge fan of 50s and 60s westerns though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner