Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's another one, today while strolling about campus (yes, yet another "campus story"), I was wearing my Fed IV, and some older, grey-bearded man said to me, "Where's your bullwhip?" He sounded like he was joking though, in a friendly way. I'm not offended or anything. I've developed a thicker hide over the past few months. Earlier this morning my dad told me I probably shouldn't wear it to school. I told him it was OK, nothing wrong with it. He then asked if I saw any other people wearing hats like that (fedoras, or brimmed hats in general, basically), and I explained to him that most guys wear baseball caps, but I do indeed see some students walking about with fedoras (straw and cloth mostly, but to some extent, other than me of course, felt, I've seen two guys wearing black felt fedoras). I have a feeling that it is going to take a while before my family truly (comfortably) accepts my wearing of fedoras, paired with my "dressy clothing," which today consisted of a pale-blue oxford dress shirt, a casual jacket (fleece interior, and red and black plaid exterior pattern), and just some regular jeans, specifically Levi 550s (relaxed fit. Not my favorite, but they do the job now as my only pair of blue jeans, my other is black, and I like it even less. I'm thinking about getting the Wrangler 13mwz cowboy jeans soon). I know that after a while though, my dress habits will almost certainly become integrated into part of the individual that I am, and they will eventually see this, despite my odd-ball, quirky, and eccentric ways.

Hmm, I seem to get these "Fedora Interventions" more and more frequently now, but I'm dealing with it fine I think.

cptjeff

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
*Shudders*Ah yes, those! Those are the ones, that for some reason, you can't put them on straight on your head. They always go on at some obscure sideways angle with the bill between your right eye and your right ear, and high up enough that if a strong headwind comes along, you're cap becomes a kite. Those go very well with baggy pajama pants and visible underwear. :D

Or you can take the stickers off, buy the correct size, and bend the brim like a real major leaguer or sports fan would.

I have a yankees cap and the one for my local A-ball team, and wear them both proudly. And correctly.

OK, here's another one, today while strolling about campus (yes, yet another "campus story"), I was wearing my Fed IV, and some older, grey-bearded man said to me, "Where's your bullwhip?" He sounded like he was joking though, in a friendly way. I'm not offended or anything. I've developed a thicker hide over the past few months. Earlier this morning my dad told me I probably shouldn't wear it to school. I told him it was OK, nothing wrong with it. He then asked if I saw any other people wearing hats like that (fedoras, or brimmed hats in general, basically), and I explained to him that most guys wear baseball caps, but I do indeed see some students walking about with fedoras (straw and cloth mostly, but to some extent, other than me of course, felt, I've seen two guys wearing black felt fedoras). I have a feeling that it is going to take a while before my family truly (comfortably) accepts my wearing of fedoras, paired with my "dressy clothing," which today consisted of a pale-blue oxford dress shirt, a casual jacket (fleece interior, and red and black plaid exterior pattern), and just some regular jeans, specifically Levi 550s (relaxed fit. Not my favorite, but they do the job now as my only pair of blue jeans, my other is black, and I like it even less. I'm thinking about getting the Wrangler 13mwz cowboy jeans soon). I know that after a while though, my dress habits will almost certainly become integrated into part of the individual that I am, and they will eventually see this, despite my odd-ball, quirky, and eccentric ways.

Hmm, I seem to get these "Fedora Interventions" more and more frequently now, but I'm dealing with it fine I think.

If you can afford to spring for one, buying a top hat and wearing that for a few days should put a stop to the fedora criticism.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Just an observation.

You know, it's funny. The more I read through these posts & see the phenomenon of "interventions". Be they for our fedoras or clothing in general. It got me thinking back. In the 50's through the 80's especially. The more radical looking stuff, like shaving ones head for instance, was cause for a family or friends intervention. It was seen as something shameful to be see with your child that did something like that. Now it is so common place that nobody thinks twice about it. Radical & uber-casual dress is the norm, so when we come along in our hats & clean pressed clothing our friends & family don't know how to take it. The have no recollection of that being the norm at one time and the way they present themselves was the odd look.

My folks gave a sigh of relief when I started dressing better, & my Pop loved the fedoras that I got. I know originally my best friends wife used to give me a hard time with my hats but she has grown to accept them as a part of me and is thrown off if I'm not wearing one. Keeps her on her toes.

I think what folks forget is that their Grandparents were young once too. And that they dressed the same as they do now for the most part. Not too many folks reinvent their image from time to time. And, currently style is out the door for most folks out there. They just don't get it because either their parents didn't care enough to teach them right about how to appear, or they just don't care themselves to bother to learn. I think most of them would be highly surprised to learn that the way we dress was the norm up until about 1964, then it went the other direction.

In any case we are who we are and there is nothing wrong with looking good. If the one brother is creeped out by how his brother dresses, maybe he should take a long hard look at himself before judging what is acceptable.
I feel bad for some folks that have to suffer the anti-semitic ignorance of others. They just don't get it that other people wear hats too, not just Jewish folks. And no matter how well or hard you try to educate them, it'll never sink in. I suppose we can count our blessing that none of us have had to suffer more than verbal abuse by the ignorant. I'd hate to hear about someone getting injured because someone didn't like their hat & thought they were Jewish.

Around my neck of the woods of Central California, nobody looks twice at my fedoras. No Indy comments, no cowboy comments. For the most part this is an AG area. Cowboys aplenty here with a wide range of hats, not just your cattlemens crease. I get an occasional "nice hat" and that's about it.
The funny thing is, the Cattlemens crease has been fairly prevalent for many years here. But, the Elko style is creeping in slowly but surely.

Anyway, that's my 2 cent observation, for what it is worth.

Cheers!

Dan

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
I suppose we can count our blessing that none of us have had to suffer more than verbal abuse by the ignorant. I'd hate to hear about someone getting injured because someone didn't like their hat & thought they were Jewish.
Or if they are Jewish and suffer verbal/physical abuse. :mad: Not that that's ever happened to me, personally; 'course, I'm not Hasidic, and didn't really wear hats before I came to Japan, where I only register as a Westerner. And while people here have absorbed the same stereotypes as other places, it doesn't seem to go much past the expectation that I'm good with money. (I'm not—I spend it on formalwear and hats. lol )

As for snide comments in general, wearing hats is the trendy thing right now in Japan, so I've gotten nothing but compliments for the hats I've worn. Now if I could just get this one girl I keep running across in Tennoji to stop wearing her straw boater backwards...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It's funny how I can go days or weeks without a single comment and then get half a dozen on one walk home. Yesterday I was wearing a pinstriped 3-piece, with a bowler and spats, and had my moustache waxed straight out in an 'English' or 'Napolean III' style. As I approached a footbridge two 20-something girls on the bridge were gawking at me. I walked behind them over the bridge, and when we got to the other side they turned right around and stared at me as I went past. I don't mind curious looks or even shocked stares, but gawking is just rude. Then I heard someone in a group of teenagers shout 'Posh prick!' I tend to get more comments, both positive and negative, when there's a school holiday.

On the plus side, a man walked by and said 'Now that's some style!', and the day before, a man asked if I read "The Chap" (I haven't), that I looked great and he loved how I was dressed. A single nice comment from a complete stranger can really make up for many insults.

Hal

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Radical & uber-casual dress is the norm, so when we come along in our hats & clean pressed clothing our friends & family don't know how to take it. The have no recollection of that being the norm at one time and the way they present themselves was the odd look...
I think what folks forget is that their Grandparents were young once too. And that they dressed the same as they do now for the most part. Not too many folks reinvent their image from time to time... I think most of them would be highly surprised to learn that the way we dress was the norm up until about 1964, then it went the other direction.
Very astute observations, very well-put. It's not only that "ignorance is bliss"; people just don't want to know.

BurlyNate

New in Town
DanielJones said:
You know, it's funny. The more I read through these posts & see the phenomenon of "interventions". Be they for our fedoras or clothing in general. It got me thinking back. In the 50's through the 80's especially. The more radical looking stuff, like shaving ones head for instance, was cause for a family or friends intervention.

when my friends bring up my style of dress I just tell them "I'm rebelling against The Man." works fairly well imo

Nick D said:
As I approached a footbridge two 20-something girls on the bridge were gawking at me. I walked behind them over the bridge, and when we got to the other side they turned right around and stared at me as I went past. I don't mind curious looks or even shocked stares, but gawking is just rude. Then I heard someone in a group of teenagers shout 'Posh prick!' I tend to get more comments, both positive and negative, when there's a school holiday.

Just remember that in most Western countries there has been a revolution in aging and the decade of life has been rolled back so people in their twenties are considered "the new teenagers" and can't be expected to have any brains at all.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, here's something interesting. I was getting ready to go to a meeting with my college honors councilor, to discuss my future academic plans. I'm getting dressed in my room after the shower, and my younger brother stands by the doorway, saying "Don't wear that hat. It'll make you look tacky," or something to this effect. I wasn't even wearing it on my head at the time, nor was I starring at it. I can understand to a certain degree what he means, as many people are unaccustomed to seeing others wearing fedoras, but the thing that got me is that I didn't really think about bringing it to begin with, I actually just gelled my hair instead. I thought what he said was somewhat random, as if he were making presumptions of me. Personally I think that it would have been perfectly fine to bring my fedora, as I would simply wear it on my way inside, then set it aside. Really, I saw one other guy wearing one, even though it was a cloth one, so I should have been fine anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love my younger brother and all of my family, but, hah, I would have to say that my brother here is "Fedoraphobic." ;)

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Hal said:
Very astute observations, very well-put. It's not only that "ignorance is bliss"; people just don't want to know.
Most of today's "fashion "is so ugly or casual that I can't stand it. People wearing shorts to the funeral home.,etc...give me a break. Guess that's why I like the 60's glasses, ties, and hats. A certain amount of style and class before that ugly 70's stuff.:)

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
Here's one I heard yesterday...

Was getting my hair cut yesterday at a walk-in salon and the lady cutting my hair was telling me the disadvantages of wearing a hat and the effects it has on my hair and my head. Her claim was that prolonged wearing of a hat causes the shape of the head to distort! Never heard that one before.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
S. Beagles said:
Was getting my hair cut yesterday at a walk-in salon and the lady cutting my hair was telling me the disadvantages of wearing a hat and the effects it has on my hair and my head. Her claim was that prolonged wearing of a hat causes the shape of the head to distort! Never heard that one before.

Hmm, never heard that one, but I don't buy it. If anything, the wearing of hats is GOOD for the head (special emphasis placed on "good"). The reason for this, is that they are functional for blocking the sun from your head, as well as being stylish.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Wasn't it the Mayans or one of the groups down in South America thast used to reshape their heads? I'd think it would take hard materials and tight binding to really reshape one's kead.
The Huns did it with blocks of wood, but from childhood when the skull is still soft and growing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
The Huns did it with blocks of wood, but from childhood when the skull is still soft and growing.

Yes, the Huns did this, I was just about to point out the same thing, thank you. Actually, a part of my family might even be descended from the Huns (or at least other Asian nomads entering into Eastern Europe in the Dark Ages and early Middle Ages), going back a long time in history...

S. Beagles said:

Riiiiggghhht and all the people in the Golden Era had heads shaped like boaters, derbys and fedoras as a consequence. :rolleyes: What a dumbass!
The consequences of not wearing a head covering are wayyyyyy better---like skin cancer and other sun damage to the face. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

J B said:
Alright, here's something interesting. I was getting ready to go to a meeting with my college honors councilor, to discuss my future academic plans. I'm getting dressed in my room after the shower, and my younger brother stands by the doorway, saying "Don't wear that hat. It'll make you look tacky," or something to this effect. I wasn't even wearing it on my head at the time, nor was I starring at it. I can understand to a certain degree what he means, as many people are unaccustomed to seeing others wearing fedoras, but the thing that got me is that I didn't really think about bringing it to begin with, I actually just gelled my hair instead. I thought what he said was somewhat random, as if he were making presumptions of me. Personally I think that it would have been perfectly fine to bring my fedora, as I would simply wear it on my way inside, then set it aside. Really, I saw one other guy wearing one, even though it was a cloth one, so I should have been fine anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love my younger brother and all of my family, but, hah, I would have to say that my brother here is "Fedoraphobic." ;)

I have never had siblings so I have no idea what you go through but my inclination would be to tell him to mind his own business. Let mom keep dressing him. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner