Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
It's really sad to hear about people getting negative comments based on their choice of headwear/clothing. Suits and Fedoras can hardly be considered as outlandish, not that anyone should be judged by their personal appearance, regardless of what they're wearing.

I've seen for myself how people can react to what others are wearing though. When it comes to 'dressing up' this is a bit of an extreme, but I've done charity work and promotional events in costume where many of us have been verbally abused, and occasionally physically assaulted, just because we're wearing a costume. How people can take offence at someone dressing up to raise money for a good cause or to entertain kids is beyond me.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I went to a Pig Roast today in the community wearing my fedora...I was sitting eating and a gentleman walked by and said

"I saw you when you drove up, and thought "That's one of the prettiest men I've seen then I saw that hat and realized it was you." [huh]

granted I have never seen this man in my life...I'm going to assume it's a compliment? but still seemed a bit dumb to me.

Another older man said "where'd you steal that hat" Also meant as a compliment but still... :eusa_doh:

Justdog

Practically Family
Fedora

elvisroe said:
I hear you on the Jacko story Caity Lynn!

jewhat1.jpg

Maybe as FFF found black hats just attract that sort of derision?

Pretty absurd. Looks like Christian Bale a bit from Public Enemies. We may see a bit more acceptance after that film. After all Depp is rated as one of the most generous and accommodating stars to his fans and usually wears a hat. Your fedora is very classic. Someone on here wrote of the motivation for such comments stemming from a sense of solidarity of identity with others in magnifying the differences in others (minority). The boring uniform of the flip flops and sweats. Reverse the situation 50 years or more and the ridiculer would be the ridiculed. Although I believe in truth the classic person would not ridicule they would just have class. As you do in this era.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Justdog said:
Although I believe in truth the classic person would not ridicule they would just have class. As you do in this era.

Yes, they'd avoid the situation and talk about the person to their classy friends...kinda like this thread...;) :p just kidding, I do it all the time too :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Eras

Its seems a bit sad that instead of the pursuit of happiness a lot of people find comfort in perusing the lowest common denominator. Seems the more morally bankrupt society becomes the more license people think they have to attack. But this is the dumbest comment thread not the most ignorant comment thread(-:
JMHO.

Justdog

Practically Family
Classy

Caity Lynn said:
Yes, they'd avoid the situation and talk about the person to their classy friends...kinda like this thread...;) :p just kidding, I do it all the time too :)

Maybe classy or class was not what I really meant but could not find an exact word. I think dignity or self worth a good sense of pride in looking and dressing an individualistic and stylist way. I did not mean the statement in a snobby or elitist way.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I got the same comment twice from different people yesterday, and I'd say it's more than just dumb.

First time I was wearing beige shirt and trousers, blue blazer with pocket square and my grey fedora. Walking through the park a group of youths decided to call me gay which I see no logic in.

Second time was in the evening, I was heading towards a party and wearing a cream jacket with a bowtie and my fedora. The occupants of a passing vehicle decided to call me the same as the first group of youths.

Looking back I find this a lot worse than the pathetic Indy or Inspector Gadget comments because it's just a ridiculous and untrue pontification that all well dressed people are homosexual and I don't like it being used as a derrogatory term as it's offensive to a small number of my friends.

Sorry about the rant. :( I did also get a positive comment from the staff at the venue saying that if there were a best dressed award they would give it to me.

avedwards said:
...it's just a ridiculous and untrue pontification that all well dressed people are homosexual and I don't like it being used as a derrogatory term as it's offensive to a small number of my friends...
Totally agree & it actually makes it a compliment that they are acknowledging you are so well dressed.... [huh]

I think it comes down to the idea of: if you don't have something good to say, then don't say anything at all. (The exception maybe if you intervine in a concerned and loving way with friends and relatives to save them from a bad fashion faux pas.)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I think it comes down to the idea of: if you don't have something good to say, then don't say anything at all. (The exception maybe if you intervine in a concerned and loving way with friends and relatives to save them from a bad fashion faux pas.)
I agree. My friends sometimes point out if I have a displeasing hat-suit combination (though this hasn't happened since I adopted a grey hat in place of a light brown one). However random strangers shakeshead.

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Bringing Class Back...

As for myself, I always appreciate a man in a suite, but a hat is like a cherry on top! I do live in San Francisco, and will say it can be hard to discern sexual preferences based on what people wear, but either way, I know the ladies and I at Paul's Hat Works are always checking out the gents with the dents....

I, as a rule, make it a point to look well-dressed or interesting, it's more exciting to walk down the street and have people talk to you and interact, even if it may not be exactly what you want to hear. Yesterday three of us were all wearing hats, two in men's one in a woman's, and a truck of women drove by and yelled, "Look, it's the hat club!" We all were wondering how they knew we owned the hat store across the street, but then realized we were all wearing what most people would think are "outlandish" or "unusual" hats.

Very fascinating...

~ Paulette

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Heading for the subway just a few days ago, I too got that gay comment. The dumbhead in question who made the remark spit the German equivalent to 'faggot' in my face and then gestured at me, wanting me to come closer so he could give me a good slapping. I just walked on and said something along the lines of 'where there is smoke, there is fire'. I'm pretty sure didn't even get what I was up to, but he came after me anyway. His pal who was him held him back and actually told him not behave like a complete idiot. That was the most amazing part of the story.

As for the more common remarks: I never hear any Dick Tracy, Inspector Gadget or even many Indy comments in Germany. Here it's more about Bogart (could be worse...), maybe some 'Frank Sinatra!' yells (amazing that some people still remember the name, don't you think?). With my big brown Atlanta I sometimes get a few 'cowboy' remarks... Well, never mind. The dumbest comment ever was - you won't believe it - 'Sherlock Holmes'...that one really sent me into a burst of hysterical laughter. I didn't bother to explain the difference between Fedoras and Caps, I just laughed merrily along my way.

billyspew

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I got the same comment twice from different people yesterday, and I'd say it's more than just dumb.

First time I was wearing beige shirt and trousers, blue blazer with pocket square and my grey fedora. Walking through the park a group of youths decided to call me gay which I see no logic in.

Second time was in the evening, I was heading towards a party and wearing a cream jacket with a bowtie and my fedora. The occupants of a passing vehicle decided to call me the same as the first group of youths.

Looking back I find this a lot worse than the pathetic Indy or Inspector Gadget comments because it's just a ridiculous and untrue pontification that all well dressed people are homosexual and I don't like it being used as a derrogatory term as it's offensive to a small number of my friends.

Sorry about the rant. :( I did also get a positive comment from the staff at the venue saying that if there were a best dressed award they would give it to me.

Absolute ignorants, but then again, espicially in this dear old country of ours "gay" is unfortunately used as a derogatory term, not just as in homosexual - e.g. I was out with some people on Friday and someone referred to a car as "gay", he did not mean that the car was meant for those of a particular persuation, just that it was a particularly bad car.
These sort of people you just can't help unfortunately, we can try and educate them as much as we want, but we're better off just dismissing them as an unsavory minority.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Heading for the subway just a few days ago, I too got that gay comment. The dumbhead in question who made the remark spit the German equivalent to 'faggot' in my face and then gestured at me, wanting me to come closer so he could give me a good slapping. I just walked on and said something along the lines of 'where there is smoke, there is fire'. I'm pretty sure didn't even get what I was up to, but he came after me anyway. His pal who was him held him back and actually told him not behave like a complete idiot. That was the most amazing part of the story.

As for the more common remarks: I never hear any Dick Tracy, Inspector Gadget or even many Indy comments in Germany. Here it's more about Bogart (could be worse...), maybe some 'Frank Sinatra!' yells (amazing that some people still remember the name, don't you think?). With my big brown Atlanta I sometimes get a few 'cowboy' remarks... Well, never mind. The dumbest comment ever was - you won't believe it - 'Sherlock Holmes'...that one really sent me into a burst of hysterical laughter. I didn't bother to explain the difference between Fedoras and Caps, I just laughed merrily along my way.
Sounds like you got it even worse if someone actually nearly assaulted you.

As for Bogart comments, I really wouldn't mind as in my opinion he is a well-dressed gentleman as well as being one of my favourite actors. Most of my hat-suit combinations are inspired by him anyway as well as the idea of wearing a fedora and trenchcoat. I do find on the whole that Germany (at least where I go near Wiesbaden) is more civilised with comments.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
Absolute ignorants, but then again, espicially in this dear old country of ours "gay" is unfortunately used as a derogatory term, not just as in homosexual - e.g. I was out with some people on Friday and someone referred to a car as "gay", he did not mean that the car was meant for those of a particular persuation, just that it was a particularly bad car.
These sort of people you just can't help unfortunately, we can try and educate them as much as we want, but we're better off just dismissing them as an unsavory minority.

I'm just afraid that this minority is not all that minor. One day you may hear the same stupid gibberish comming from someone whom you've know for years. It's in them somewhere. It sits very deep inside, building up tension, and one day it just snaps. And comes out. And leaves you numbed. I have seen this before in people I always thought I knew.

(At least semi-:eek:fftopic:) As for the 'gay' word: You know, it's funny. I've been collecting and playing folk songs (mostly from Ireland, Scotland and England, but also from the US) for many years, and there is quite a number of songs with lines like 'and we sat and watched the flowers and meadows so gay'. That word once had a completely different tint to it. What happened to turn it over like that?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
Sounds like you got it even worse if someone actually nearly assaulted you.

As for Bogart comments, I really wouldn't mind as in my opinion he is a well-dressed gentleman as well as being one of my favourite actors. Most of my hat-suit combinations are inspired by him anyway as well as the idea of wearing a fedora and trenchcoat. I do find on the whole that Germany (at least where I go near Wiesbaden) is more civilised with comments.

Yes, and as it is with the comments here in Germany, sometimes the idiots have some civilized (and civilizing) friends with them. Yeah, things could definitely be worse. :rolleyes:

And you're right about the Bogey comments - that's just why I said 'could be worse'. People just don't know better, and to be perfectly honest, coming from certain people, those Bogart and Sinatra comments can sometimes be a wee bit flattering... :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
And you're right about the Bogey comments - that's just why I said 'could be worse'. People just don't know better, and to be perfectly honest, coming from certain people, those Bogart and Sinatra comments can sometimes be a wee bit flattering... :D
It shows that the people saying them have a high enough level of intelligence to have watched and presumably appreciated older films.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
I hardly receive any comments from strangers here. But a few weeks ago I wore my panama to town, and when I passed a group of elderly women, one of them looked at me as if I had soiled my pants [huh]
She then whispered (good ears ;) ) something like "...and he looks like twenty-five..." to the others.

Also, I really wonder how people's mind works. So far, I didn't get any Indy comments with my grey Fed IV, but I received two or three of them last winter with a black, tapered crown fedora :eusa_doh:

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Maybe I've just been lucky but I really don't recall ever getting anything but positive comments. Several on my panamas this summer as a matter of fact.

Well, that's not true. My mother hates my newsboy... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR