Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neophyte said:
I get Indy comments even when wearing grey stingy brims or green "country" fedoras, such as the Akubra Squatter.
Yeah...this is what they see and think "Indy" :confused: .

You could be wearing a Trolean and still get the Indy comment. :rolleyes: lol lol
Tyrolean_hat.jpg

That is what makes it dumb. lol lol lol

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
This isn't a hat comment more of an outer wear comment...

Sometimes when I am whereing a black trench coat I get comments
not to my face but under their breathe they whisper "flasher" to
their friends... :mad: more stupid than insulting....

Edit: It is even more dumb because to me and alot of people
a trench coat is a very respectable piece of outer wear!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Way back when I played in a band my friends couldn't understand how I could get up in front of hundreds of people and not be nervous but I would shake like a leaf if I was going to sing for friends.

I didn't care whether those hundreds of people I didn't know liked what I did or not, it didn't matter. I cared a lot about what my friends thought.

I don't care what strangers think or say about my appearance, they aren't important to me so their opinions don't matter. Unless they get right up in my face I ignore them.

BanjoMerlin said:
Way back when I played in a band my friends couldn't understand how I could get up in front of hundreds of people and not be nervous but I would shake like a leaf if I was going to sing for friends.

I didn't care whether those hundreds of people I didn't know liked what I did or not, it didn't matter. I cared a lot about what my friends thought.

I don't care what strangers think or say about my appearance, they aren't important to me so their opinions don't matter. Unless they get right up in my face I ignore them.

Its not whether you care or not. Its the principle.

JPH

Familiar Face
Wrong Movie

When you get the "Indy" comments you could always tell them that they are mistaken, you're REALLY Harry Steele. He did predate Indy by 27 years, after all. lol

459986.1020.A.jpg

JP, glad you enjoyed it.

Joseph

Vic

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
I get Indy comments even when wearing grey stingy brims or green "country" fedoras, such as the Akubra Squatter.

Yeah...this is what they see and think "Indy" :confused: .

People are idiots. Any Teds or Rockabillies will tell you that apparently, Elvis Presley was the only person in the history of the world to ever wear a pompadour...or so you would think based on people's comments.

These comments are akin to people volunteering their ignorance as if they were wearing a sign around their neck advertising their own ignorance.

Most of us maintain a zero tolerance policy for those who would try to prey on us with these unprovoked, derogatory comments.

All of the comments people make are just signs of their own insecurity and NEEDINESS!

Vic said:
People are idiots. Any Teds or Rockabillies will tell you that apparently, Elvis Presley was the only person in the history of the world to ever wear a pompadour...or so you would think based on people's comments.

These comments are akin to people volunteering their ignorance as if they were wearing a sign around their neck advertising their own ignorance.
Most of us maintain a zero tolerance policy for those who would try to prey on us with these unprovoked, derogatory comments.

All of the comments people make are just signs of their own insecurity and NEEDINESS!

Kind of like Bill Engval---Here's your sign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ
:D

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I've been wearing hats of different sorts for some decades. Sometimes small children stare at me. I wriggle my ears back at them. Sometimes someone says "nice hat." That's about it.

Vic

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Kind of like Bill Engval---Here's your sign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ
:D

Haha! Well, that bit seems to be about people who state the obvious. I'm really referring more to comparisons...like anyone who wears any type of fedora being called Indy, by people with no knowledge of fedoras or their history...OR, in my case, people with pompadours being called Elvis by people who know nothing about the history of pompadours. It's just a matter of people not knowing what they're talking about, attempting to be insulting or witty, but really just demonstrating how little they know about the given subject.

Teddy Boys being called "Elvis" is especially ridiculous...Elvis never wore anything even remotely resembling a drape suit... That one is completely a mystery to me. He also had a pomp, and most Teds have quiffs or jelly rolls...But, people find some commonality and draw an inaccurate comparison...Again, because they don't have any background on what they're talking about.

For another example: One of the things I collect are replica Wild One motorcycle caps. Some are homemade, some are custom, they all vary a bit...but there are certain commonalities...they are all 8-panel, wool, metal expansion strap, short leather brim, somewhat structured in the front and a bit more pillowed at the sides. People who don't know any better make comparisons to the biker hats like those worn by The Village People. That hat is TOTALLY different. It's all leather, no-panel (single piece), completely different cut and shape, chain across the front...The two hats are different in virtually every way (they both have brims on the front, I guess). But, occasionally, the untrained eye draws the comparison. And, if they comment, what they are really saying is "I don't know anything about what I'm talking about, but I'm making a comment anyway in the hopes that it will somehow gratifying me." ...and that's really all I hear come out of their mouths "I don't know what I'm talking about...but I'm quite insecure...please notice me and give me some response"

So, anyway, it's just a matter of feeling the need to say something...anything...when they really have nothing to say and no knowledge or accurate context for what they're saying.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Vic said:
So, anyway, it's just a matter of feeling the need to say something...anything...when they really have nothing to say and no knowledge or accurate context for what they're saying.

That would pretty much cover dang near everything most people say about anything.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Interesting isn't it? The thread is full of "smugness" yet they can't stop reading it. :rolleyes::p
I have yet to see one example stated yet but what the heck lets just paint the whole thing as smug. :rolleyes:
Any ridiculous unsolicitied comment is stupid and rude. That goes from Columbo to Indy. There are no excuses and how you act reflects upon you. If we infer from that that they are idiots, dolts and stupid then it is from their actions that we get that impression. Like bromide states: It is better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it. :p

Sounds good to me. :D
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At any rate, I got another "that hat is gay" comment today. It came from my brother...who's quite the fashionable and popular young man. He feels that the fedora should have stayed in the '20s "where it belongs." He is quite ignorant, but he's my brother...oh well.

Covenant07

New in Town
Are we not men?

I think I understand the 'support for wounded hat wearers' idea, but it seems rather needy. Are we so fragile, then, that we can't grin and turn away? James Bond would certainly give a wry smile, tip a wink and hop into his Aston Martin and drive away. Clint Eastwood would no doubt bore holes with his intense glare, forehead vein throbbing all the while and his demeanor brooking no nonsense. It is certain that neither icon of cool would adjourn to a support forum, whining and puling over verbal mistreatment.

Covenant07 said:
I think I understand the 'support for wounded hat wearers' idea, but it seems rather needy. Are we so fragile, then, that we can't grin and turn away? James Bond would certainly give a wry smile, tip a wink and hop into his Aston Martin and drive away. Clint Eastwood would no doubt bore holes with his intense glare, forehead vein throbbing all the while and his demeanor brooking no nonsense. It is certain that neither icon of cool would adjourn to a support forum, whining and puling over verbal mistreatment.

And again I repeat:
Interesting isn't it? The thread is full of "needyness" yet they can't stop reading it. :rolleyes:

Neophyte said:
This is exactly where I knew this thread was heading. It was innocent enough at first, but eventually it became about bashing the "ignorant and rude masses".

That is exactly what I was worried about, and what I believe JimmyTheLid was cautioning against.

We need to take this thread back to individual stories, or eliminate this thread.
It's called "The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard," not "Those **** Kids!".

:eek:fftopic: again but cite an example of Those darned kids.:rolleyes: Or bashing the masses for that matter. This is for the most part about individuals and individual comments not the world at large. :rolleyes:

Vic

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
At any rate, I got another "that hat is gay" comment today. It came from my brother...who's quite the fashionable and popular young man. He feels that the fedora should have stayed in the '20s "where it belongs." He is quite ignorant, but he's my brother...oh well.

Eh...Just impressionable...letting the media dictate what "belongs" and what doesn't.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I won't pretend that my brother isn't a slave to hip culture, but he's remarkably well behaved in all aspects of his life, except when I'm involved.
I grew up with ADHD, and he somehow doesn't have it, and along the way I must have come off as immature or stupid (despite my high intelligence, I have enough common sense to accidentally water one of the fake plants my mom has all over the house :eusa_clap ), so he kinda looks down on me. I understand it completely, and in fact find it quite amusing.

Vic said:
Haha! Well, that bit seems to be about people who state the obvious. I'm really referring more to comparisons...like anyone who wears any type of fedora being called Indy, by people with no knowledge of fedoras or their history...OR, in my case, people with pompadours being called Elvis by people who know nothing about the history of pompadours. It's just a matter of people not knowing what they're talking about, attempting to be insulting or witty, but really just demonstrating how little they know about the given subject.

Teddy Boys being called "Elvis" is especially ridiculous...Elvis never wore anything even remotely resembling a drape suit... That one is completely a mystery to me. He also had a pomp, and most Teds have quiffs or jelly rolls...But, people find some commonality and draw an inaccurate comparison...Again, because they don't have any background on what they're talking about.

For another example: One of the things I collect are replica Wild One motorcycle caps. Some are homemade, some are custom, they all vary a bit...but there are certain commonalities...they are all 8-panel, wool, metal expansion strap, short leather brim, somewhat structured in the front and a bit more pillowed at the sides. People who don't know any better make comparisons to the biker hats like those worn by The Village People. That hat is TOTALLY different. It's all leather, no-panel (single piece), completely different cut and shape, chain across the front...The two hats are different in virtually every way (they both have brims on the front, I guess). But, occasionally, the untrained eye draws the comparison. And, if they comment, what they are really saying is "I don't know anything about what I'm talking about, but I'm making a comment anyway in the hopes that it will somehow gratifying me." ...and that's really all I hear come out of their mouths "I don't know what I'm talking about...but I'm quite insecure...please notice me and give me some response"

I think that is what I refer to as the Ripped Sack Theory. They get an idea in their head and just can't keep it in---just like a ripped sack can't hold anything in. Let's face it, we all look at people and things go through our mind. The skill is keeping it to yourself and not making yourself look stupid. I suppose Ma said it best---"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." ;) :p

Neophyte said:
Well, I won't pretend that my brother isn't a slave to hip culture, but he's remarkably well behaved in all aspects of his life, except when I'm involved.
I grew up with ADHD, and he somehow doesn't have it, and along the way I must have come off as immature or stupid (despite my high intelligence, I have enough common sense to accidentally water one of the fake plants my mom has all over the house :eusa_clap ), so he kinda looks down on me. I understand it completely, and in fact find it quite amusing.

He'll be singing a different tune when you are sitting on your fortune and he wants to borrow money. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails