Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
I've heard, "Dude, where's the funeral?" more than a few times. (And I wasn't even in a dark suit either, a brown herringbone three-piece to be exact.) When I hear that one it makes me want to reply, "You mean yours? Coming up shortly!"

moustache

Practically Family
Stupidest thing...

Working in a lumberyard,i receive a lot of comments on my moustache and attire.The dumbest is when i get the "You look like an Oil Can Henry's" employee!!
For one thing,they wear brown caps,most with no moustaches.Striped shirts(i almost never wear) and horrible shoes!!!And NO tweed!!!

Where do these guys come up with this stuff??!!

JD Ross

funneman

Practically Family
I heard a good one this morning...

I'm wearing dress pants and a dress shirt, tie and matching Resistol with 2" brim.

This surf rat at work says "Dude, you look like Dick Tracy."

Havana

One of the Regulars
I started wearing a fedora when I was 12. Man, I've heard it all over the years. The absolute dumbest comment was "Hey, Buck Rogers! Where's your horse?" There's so much wrong with that I didn't know how to even respond. I usually just shrug off any negative comments which are rare in my experience. I think it's better just to let those things go even though sometimes I want to drop a nuke on those fools. My uncle is a very bold man with a blazing wit. I've heard him deliver some zingers over the years that you might want to use. I've heard him respond to stupid comments with the following: "I don't know which offends me more, your ignorance or your arrogance." and "I don't mind you being so stupid. You really can't help that."

Havana said:
I've heard him deliver some zingers over the years that you might want to use. I've heard him respond to stupid comments with the following: "I don't know which offends me more, your ignorance or your arrogance." and "I don't mind you being so stupid. You really can't help that."

If you used those now the poor fool would have to refer to a dictionary to adequately understand what you were telling him. :p ;)

Regards,

J

metropd

One Too Many
You think gangstas bad ,I get worse. when I wear my 30's and 40's fedora I get asked if I'm a male model or if I proffesionally model clothes. I ain't no freakin pretty boy but I try to remain polite. Gangsta or pimp is not all that bad but there is no excuse for cowboy.:rage: :rage:

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Hat day

As a follow up to my first reply here, I figured I'd post this. I work in a call center, and this week is "Customer Service Week", of which today is "Hat Day". It all reeks of corporate condescention, but whatever... any excuse to wear my fedora. I got 2 "nice hat"s, 1 "nice fedora" (bonus points for knowing the name of the hat), 1 "pimp daddy", and 1 "Al Capone" (my personal favorite).

I also got one "you look cute in the hat".:D

Mrs. BJonas, who works with me, was not amused.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I wonder what it is that people see as 'negative' about someone making an Indiana Jones or Dick Tracy comment.

Do you guys really feel that the intent of these people is to hurt your feelings? Or is it more "Hey, thats different, It reminds me of (whatever)" meanwhile they are saying to themselves "I wish I had that kind of confidence".

If it makes you feel as if you must be rude or nasty to those who make what is most likley an innocent comment, perhaps your own confidence is in question? Please, gents, don't take that the wrong way--it's a query, not an accusation.

I've had a lot of Indy comments from my hat, some whistling the Raiders march, etc. I give 'em a big smile, tip my hat, and carry on. 99% of the time, they smile back, leading me to believe that they are not conducting themselves in that way to offend.

As far as terminology goes...

The dictionary definition covers a plethora of things. Take for example the word "fag"--In Britain, its a ciggarette. some years ago, it was a bundle of sticks. Now, it is used as a negative term for a homosexual.

Handicapped? Comes from the phrase "cap in hand"--in other words, beggars--not exactly complimentary, but its used often to refer to differently abled people.

Pimp'n hat: Okay, they aren't the fastest car in the lot, but they likley mean well. Smile, say thanks, and go about your business knowing at the very least you didn't make another persons day any worse. An outright insult deserves a rebuttal; a well meaning but ill-informed compliment--well I can't see any decent human being taking pleasure in ripping into someone who means well.

Cheers
Craig

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
with the indy comment it's because it's people thinking that it's a costume instead of just clothes. I don't do costume.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
I wasn't really bothered with the comments I got. So far, my sister in law's *insistance* that it's a pimp hat is the only comment that's ever gotten under my skin. She's really un-educated (she pronounces "Vatican" as "Vuh-TEEK-in"), and I don't think she's ever cared to pay attention to anything from before the 90's, so I guess I cant blame her too much. Best to ignore here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
exactly, and that's what annoys me. It's belittling. I dress to look good. The indy comment tells me, "nice indiana jones halloween costume".

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
have no fear hat man is here!

i tend to get hat man quite frequently at work. its funny though when i dont show up at work without one of my hats they all ask where it is. it doesnt bother me. the indy comments when i'm wearing my derby do bug me though however when i get those i take five minutes to educate the particular person about hat styles. i think it freacks them out.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Ok, we have all been seen with our hats on and called things like Indy and gangster but I had the absolute stupidest comment today. I was outm getting lunch and some oaf said I looked like Columbo with my 2 1/4" brim Milan on. This was with a Hawaiian shirt and khakis! I could have understood Carl Kolchak (Darin McGavin) in the Nightstalker
th-9749_0012.jpg

but Columbo?! He didn't even wear a a hat! :rage: :eusa_doh: What a nitwit!
What was your dumbest comment ever heard? :D

Regards,

J

62940005ea2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy