Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well it seems that things are looking up. On Facebook, my aunt commented on my profile (my avatar is the same I'm having here), and she had mentioned that she liked my hat! I thought that was nice. Not a dumb comment by any means, but I thought this would follow up on my previous posts from the other page nicely.

metropd

One Too Many
I went to a party last night, as I was leaving, I saw a man who was alone and drunk, so I naturally wanted him to feel welcome so I said "How are you, did you have a good time tonight?" He said "I don't f###### Know you, where I'm from I don't talk to strangers." I said " I am a gentleman I only was trying to be nice and you are very rude."

At which point he said "listen Dick Tracey you better take off that hat cuz if you want some, you won't get up" Then he proceeded to pull out his wallet and show me he was Police Officer from what I recognized an East Coast city. I said "I have a lot of respect for Police Officers but you are being very disrespectful" He replied "I'm not a cop, I'm a police officer and I'm on Vacation and its my birthday, so if you want to celebrate it with me take off your hat Dick Tracey"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Very sad indeed, metropd... so sorry to read about what happened at the party when you were only trying to be kind and polite.

metropd said:
It is amazing to me that a member of a profession that I idolized and naively romanticized managed to make me so jaded.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have to say, that was disturbingly rude, not only the way he addressed you, but how he kept referring to you as Dick Tracy, and told you to take off the hat.

Y'know, there was a time when Law Enforcement actually had little things called "standards" for potential officers... clearly that guy somehow slipped through the cracks where some test or other should have screened him out.

Not a slam on the profession--I regularly hang with a bunch of local cops at the range--just on that particular "professional" (note quotation marks, his attitude is anything but befitting one) within it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
I went to a party last night, as I was leaving, I saw a man who was alone and drunk, so I naturally wanted him to feel welcome so I said "How are you, did you have a good time tonight?" He said "I don't fucking Know you, where I'm from I don't talk to strangers." I said " I am a gentleman I only was trying to be nice and you are very rude."

At which point he said "listen Dick Tracey you better take off that hat cuz if you want some, you won't get up" Then he proceeded to pull out his wallet and show me he was Police Officer from what I recognized an East Coast city. I said "I have a lot of respect for Police Officers but you are being very disrespectful" He replied "I'm not a cop, I'm a police officer and I'm on Vacation and its my birthday, so if you want to celebrate it with me take off your hat Dick Tracey"

Consider the source. Alcohol. :( :( Alcohol drunk to excess will bring out the worst in anyone. It really has nothing to do with you whatsoever. All in the drinker's mind, that's all.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Could it be that it was actually HIS party? And he got depressed spending it with people he didn't know? That's probably why he was drunk... and Maj. Nick Danger is right, alcohol does account a great deal to how people act. Even the meekest and most gentle people can become a person's worst nightmare once alcohol has run its course.

metropd

One Too Many
He was definitely sober enough to know what he was saying. The whole ordeal is my fault as I should have had more common sense to try and be rational and civil with an idiot flashing His New York Badge in San Diego. I should have just walked away and realized there is good and bad in everything and everywhere.

metropd

One Too Many
Hereward said:
Sadly there are bad eggs in ny profession (or anywhere else for that matter). Certainly most peelers are a better lot than that.

My whole inspiration to my interest in Law Enforcement started from how highly I regarded the Peelers at such a young age. This stemmed from my passion for conducting life with civility, to always remain chivalrous and noble, and ones natural duty to partake in civic virtue. At a young age, I mean 5 years old, I could adequately articulate these ideals. The people of England are truly blessed to have the majority of constables they have. I have had nothing but good experiences with the English Police, and I think they set a standard in the world of a noble and honorable public servant.

sixties.nut

In Keeping with this Threads Topic

Where you to state 'some' country's were corrupt, I would tend to agree. But with the qualifier that those country's are merely temporary regime's. In the case of Cuba, albeit a long term situation. I wouldn't say that most nations are inherently corrupt but some are.

metropd

One Too Many
sixties.nut said:
I once thought that the comment posted earlier this month in regards to MacArthur being of a state of autism was the 'the dumbest comment I ever heard'.

But metropd, with your quoted comment, you have bested that boy! :eusa_clap :eusa_doh: Hands down the dumbest comment I've EVER heard. lol

This has been my understanding with studying Latin American Politics especially Mexico. But I will delete it as this is not the place for overly opinionated tangents.:eusa_doh:lol

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Hasidim rides again

Nick D said:
Today I was walking my son home from a doctor appointment. Since today I've been watching him all day and doing work at home, I just wore jeans, t-shirt, and hiking boots as I do from time to time. While walking outside I threw on a dark blue raincoat and a black fedora. A van went by and one of the...persons inside yelled out "Look at that, another Jew!"

I am not Jewish, but I've been asked once before if I was out of genuine curiosity (I was wearing my black hat that time, too). This comment, especially considering the tone, was downright anti-semitic :rage:

Funny you should mention it, but when I am in NY I sometimes wear a wide brimmed tan colored Borsalino and more than once I have noticed Hasidic men staring at me. I imagine they are wondering if I am of the lost tribe of Jewish cowboys; well its true, I am, and Kinky Friedman is my rabbi. Of course Kinky wears the traditional black hat; only it's a Stetson with a cattleman's crease. You know, now that I think about it, those guys in ZZ Top could be rabbis too . . ., one day I'm gonna meet Louis Gates, and he'll prove that Barack Obama is my cousin and LBJ was my nephew, yessir one day the differences between us might just slip away.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
...Most guys though, wear New Era baseball caps, you know, the ones with the flat bills and the stickers on them.

*Shudders*Ah yes, those! Those are the ones, that for some reason, you can't put them on straight on your head. They always go on at some obscure sideways angle with the bill between your right eye and your right ear, and high up enough that if a strong headwind comes along, you're cap becomes a kite. Those go very well with baggy pajama pants and visible underwear. :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
lol OK, I'm in for a field day here. Get a load of this: my mother, two brothers, and sister called me to the dinner table. I wasn't actually expecting this at all, and it seems like it came out of nowhere, but they wanted to have a little talk about how I dress. Apparently, I creep out my brothers with the way I dress, and they feel that I'm "not casual enough." The fedora was also mentioned, they felt it made me look old and dated.

I've been the subject of a few fedora interventions, although not to the extent you had. Although I have had friends ask me quietly at a lunch table after we've sat down (and I've removed my hat and placed it on the bench next to me) why I wear a hat that makes me look like their grandfather. I remind them that back in the Golden Era, young men wore fedoras too.

I did receive a warm fuzzy from a friend yesterday, however. I told him how one of my friends really hates my hats, although he's stopped staying anything about them. My other friend told me yesterday that his comment just doesn't make sense. "The fedoras are what make Jon, Jon!" he said. I smiled.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
I've been the subject of a few fedora interventions, although not to the extent you had. Although I have had friends ask me quietly at a lunch table after we've sat down (and I've removed my hat and placed it on the bench next to me) why I wear a hat that makes me look like their grandfather. I remind them that back in the Golden Era, young men wore fedoras too.

I've been told I remind people of their grandpas, either because of the way I dress or my pipe. Makes me laugh.

Edward

Bartender
Nick D said:
I've been told I remind people of their grandpas, either because of the way I dress or my pipe. Makes me laugh.

Yeah, I regularly get told I 'dress older'. I've come to the point where I don't care anymore.... Cynicism is a wonderful defence mechanism, I find.

KingTigerII said:
Due to my Indy Fedora, my A-2 (Me thinks it's an A-2. I was only concerned with the 10 dollar price tag on it :) ) and my laptop satchel I get the Indy comment frequently. But there is one in particular got to me because I never expected it.....

Cowboy. Little girl said to her mom "Look Mommy it's a cowboy!" The mom pretty much ignored the girl and walked right past me.

I stared in the mirror and just couldn't get the cowboy picture to pop into my head as I think of the 50's and 60's westerns. Oh well.

I get that one a lot. It does wind me up as to me a fedora is no more a "cowboy" hat than a beret, but I suppose most people simply see all wide-brimmed, high crowned hats as alike. I try not to let it bother me much as most folks don't mean anything negative by it. Actually, it's a rare person that takes offence. I did have a 'white van man' last week literally lean out of the window of a moving van to shout vicious abuse at me (alas, his enunciation was so poor, I could only make out the 'c' word from his diatribe). I have no idea what prompted this, unless (as has happened before) he looked at my carbon grey federation as a sign of Jewishness, hence perhaps it was ati-semitic abuse. [huh] The only other time I have been given particular abuse in the street for wearing a hat it was that same hat, and one of the market workers hissed that I was an unclean, fornicting Jew (or words to that effect). Their problem, not mine.

Dean

New in Town
Metropd - He said "I don't f###### Know you, where I'm from I don't talk to strangers."

Surely your reply should have been " Well you're not there now are you. I'm from here and we do talk to strangers because we are civilised".

Just make sure you are stood at least six feet away and he isn't between you and the door....if he does clock you, he's going to suffer more if he's a rozza.

ScionPI2005 said:
*Shudders*Ah yes, those! Those are the ones, that for some reason, you can't put them on straight on your head. They always go on at some obscure sideways angle with the bill between your right eye and your right ear, and high up enough that if a strong headwind comes along, you're cap becomes a kite. Those go very well with baggy pajama pants and visible underwear. :D

Geez, those caps look silly. I won't even comment on pajama pants worn outside the home. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff