Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fit of the Aero Highwayman

desierto

New in Town
Hello. I'm new to the Fedora Lounge. One of the reasons I joined was to learn about the fit of the Aero Highwayman jacket. I'm 6'2" tall, 175 pounds, and wear a 39 Long or a 40 Long in a suit. I wear a Medium Tall in casual clothing, like from the Banana Republic. I've been in touch with Amanda at Aero, and she's been helpful, but we are still trying to determine exactly what size Highwayman jacket would be best for me. I've read that the Highwayman jacket is boxy, but I've also read it fits snugly. And I've read that I should an inch to the length in the body and the sleeves, but then I read I should add two inches. Anyone here have a similar experience having a jacket made at Aero?

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I have an Aero Highwayman, size 42.

Steerhide, black, alpaca lined. It was a demo jacket before they put it up on the sale page. It fits perfectly, and I am an 'average' size 42 guy. Your positing reads as though a size 40 with extra sleeve and body length to allow for your height might do the trick. Fenton's advice is solid. Does Amanda have your sleeve and torso measurements? If so, I think you can trust them to deliver the goods on your jacket.

Now, have you decided on hide? color? lining? ;)

desierto

New in Town
Thanks, Jack

The jacket is handsome. Amanda recommended either a size 38 with 2 inches longer in the body and sleeve or a size 40 with 1 inch longer in the body and sleeve so I am on the fence as the size to order. I was considering black horsehide, silver hardware, and the Ancient Campbell plaid lining.

Call Me Al

New in Town
desierto said:
I read the postings on that link, and it left me more confused, LOL!
I hear you.

I’m in the process of ordering a Highwayman also, and I find that measuring thing confusing as well. I’ve decided to just go with my usual 46 long and maybe add an inch or two to the body. I’m 6’2” and weigh about 220.

I’m also wondering about how warm I need the jacket to be. I want a 3-season jacket. Here in Atlanta it doesn’t get very cold, maybe low thirties or so at the most and 2 days later it’s in the 70’s. Do you think the Alpaca wool would be to warm for the higher temperatures? Or should I go with the cotton drill cloth and wear a sweater when it gets cooler.

desierto

New in Town
Hey Al.

I'm from the South originally myself, and have spent time in Atlanta and Athens. I can't imagine wearing the jacket with an alpaca wool lining and think you would be better served with the cotton drill lining and a sweater.

Peacoat

Bartender
Call Me Al said:
I hear you.

I’m in the process of ordering a Highwayman also, and I find that measuring thing confusing as well. I’ve decided to just go with my usual 46 long and maybe add an inch or two to the body. I’m 6’2” and weigh about 220.

I’m also wondering about how warm I need the jacket to be. I want a 3-season jacket. Here in Atlanta it doesn’t get very cold, maybe low thirties or so at the most and 2 days later it’s in the 70’s. Do you think the Alpaca wool would be to warm for the higher temperatures? Or should I go with the cotton drill cloth and wear a sweater when it gets cooler.

Big Al, don't go with your regular size and start adding inches on your own. Take the measurements as instructed by Aero, send them to Amanda and tell her how you want the jacket to fit. Let them do the rest. That way if it is off, they will make you another jacket. In my experience, the normal build is a fitted jacket.

If you want a three season jacket, go with the cotton drill. You can wear a vest or a sweater under the jacket when it is cold. I don't find the Alpaca to be that warm, but it is probably too warm for your climate in the Fall and Spring.

jdj

New in Town
Not Aero but similar

desierto said:
Hello. I'm new to the Fedora Lounge. One of the reasons I joined was to learn about the fit of the Aero Highwayman jacket. I'm 6'2" tall, 175 pounds, and wear a 39 Long or a 40 Long in a suit. I wear a Medium Tall in casual clothing, like from the Banana Republic. I've been in touch with Amanda at Aero, and she's been helpful, but we are still trying to determine exactly what size Highwayman jacket would be best for me. I've read that the Highwayman jacket is boxy, but I've also read it fits snugly. And I've read that I should an inch to the length in the body and the sleeves, but then I read I should add two inches. Anyone here have a similar experience having a jacket made at Aero?

Not an Aero but very similar. I'm 6'-0 and 200 lb. but I have long arms so I wear a 44 but I had this jacket lined with thinsulate and tapered a 1.5 inches and it fits great. I did want a little room for a sweater during the colder months otherwise I could have gotten away with a 42. Sorry about the lousey pics.
url]

Peacoat

Bartender
Call Me Al said:
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps the best idea would be to get a local tailor to take my measurements.

Aero says not necessary to go to a tailor. You can take the measurements yourself, of have a friend do it for you.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
On my recent Aero order I took measurements (by myself) of:

-Chest inhaled/exhaled
-Shoulders
-Sleeve
-Navel
-Waist
-Also mentioned my suit jacket and pant waist size to help out.

By those numbers and the fit I asked for Mark recommended the size he felt would fit best. I guess I'll find out how well that worked out in the next few weeks when the jacket arrives!

Tommer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails